Is Keystep the best?

Looks awesome!

The Keystep looks great on a picture but there are some serious limitations that make it a bad product in certain cases.

If you want to use it just as a MIDI keyboard and not as the brain of your setup then you better look for something else.

If feels like using the Keystep as a MIDI keyboard is just an afterthought. There is no dedicated keyboard mode. You can chose between the ARP and sequencer mode. If you want to use the ARP, you need a clock signal.

If you use the internal clock then there is no way to make the Keystep not output that. This will conflict with your existing hardware rig where you already have a MIDI clock leader.

You can use external MIDI clock on the Keystep but then there are issues that come up.

If you donā€™t want to use the ARP, the only thing you can do is to switch to the sequencer mode. If youā€™re using an external clock, that will now control the sequencer.

You canā€™t use the chord mode if the sequencer is runnig so you are forced to chose between a conflict with your MIDI clock, not using the ARP or not using chord mode.

I have one and I regretted buying it. The day something comes out

1 Like

Unless you press Stop on the KS after starting your main sequencer (in external sync mode).

1 Like

I will try that. It still feels like it shouldnā€™t be like that.

Another issue that I found is that sometimes the otherwise empty sequencer records something by itself.

I couldnā€™t find a sure way to reprocude it but switching to the sequencer from the ARP while keys are being held down seems play some role.

I have one and frankly it feels cheap and not quality and was a pain for me to use.

I have the KS37 and bought it mainly because I wanted the full size midi ports so I wouldnā€™t be having to faff around with usb when connecting my DN/DT. It was about Ā£110 from an online retailer. Looks good and has loads of features. I wish everything else in life had a similar cost:value ratio!

3 Likes

I own a black Keystep 37 and am rather moderately satisfied with it. What bothers me is that the aftertouch is too sensitive (and cannot be switched off) and the keyboard has no fixed velocity setting. The workmanship of the hardware and the keyboard itself is okay, but this is what I expect for this price.

Actually it should have both. Can be selected in Midi Control Center.

If you really wanted to disable aftertouch, itā€™s pretty simple to open it up and disconnect the cable for it. Fully reversible.

If we are beefing up the capabilities beyond Keystep, what do you vote for:
Korg Minilogue XD or Hydrasynth Explorer?

(Hypothetical set-up: Akai Force, Syntakt, Analog Four)

XD feels great. Also the Reface series has super nice keys even though they are technically ā€œminiā€. A CS would be a nice complement to that setup.

1 Like

Interesting. I donā€™t feel like the aftertouch is sensitive enough - I feel like I really have to smash the keys down to use it. That said, I donā€™t use my KS much these days - the keys just feel squishy and I feel like I need slightly more vertical travel than it offers.

1 Like

In Midi Control Center you can select a fixed velocity value, but only for seq/arp mode. Playing in realtime with a fixed velocity value isnā€™t possible.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for pointing that out.

IĀ“ve spent half of my (holi)day today to fix a problem with
my keystep (some keys didnĀ“t trig always)

tried any possible hardware/software setting and connection.

finally took that thing apart. the rubber under the keys sticked to the sensors. I didnĀ“t even clean anything.
taking everything apart and putting it together again fixed that problem !

so is the keystep the best ? certainly not !
but I bought it for cheap and ā€œrepairedā€ it myself !

have nice holidays everyone :wink:

1 Like

Wait, something that can be opened and repaired is actually a good thing these days :wink:

5 Likes

back in the day I ā€œrepairedā€ a cassette recorder by just dropping it to the ground (after trying everything else) and it worked !
to be honest, IĀ“ve tried that with the keystep too (didnĀ“t work)

1 Like

Iā€™m not a good keyboard player, but entering notes and doodling around, aftertouch, cv/gate,ā€¦
Itā€™s small, and I donā€™t have thaaaat much spaceā€¦

For me it is.

3 Likes

How is the Microfreak midi control? Besides my KeyStepPro I want something compacter for my Typhon and my Digis so was thinking about it too!

And then this happened - looks like the Keystep 37 but with more knobs, pads, joystick and real pitch and mod wheels. Has sequencing and a similar CV spec, but looks like you can route midi from the (full size) midi port to the CV outputs, which you canā€™t do on the Keystep 37 (CV from internal keyboard + sequencer only).