Is it worth it to invest in Octatrack in late 2016?

I’ve corrected the title of the topic accordingly. Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

1 Like

Most of the time I just tune it by ear - I am used to doing it from working with my Bugbrand modular (My Bugphonic LP was all tuned by ear) but on some of the tracks I would play the OT from my SFX6 and get the OT approxamately in unison with it, also some of the sounds use the comb filter which of course makes tuning simple.

1 Like

Simplicity and OT are not usually used in the same sentence…

4 Likes

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it :blush:

It records melodies fine. You need to set up the memory and can capture 5-6 minutes. Playback has its quirks too but it’s there. Be aware of gain staging and the quality is good.

Some really interesting sounds there, congrat :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds great. I was also interested in how good is OT for playing samples melodically back. I’m aware of limitations of mono phony and two octave range.

even as a simple sequential filter it’s an amazing unit to process sound with. Forget all the critiques about the “dark” or muddy sound. If you want to brighten it up a simple EQ will make up for it :slight_smile:

i always find a way to use this thing, midi LFOs that can be locked and randomized neighbor machines to stack more than 2 fx engines per track, crossfader and scenes to modulate between your settings. the list goes on and on.

the one thing i would recommend for all users is to invest in a midi controller with 8 faders or encoders to control amp/volume/pitch of tracks at the same time for more of an SP1200 like feel :slight_smile:

gotta plug the oktakontrol, premium price but the way it sits so nicely with the boxes makes it the ultimate midi controller for the OT imo :slight_smile:

1 Like

Totally worth it. Pick one up in the for sale section if you’re scared to take the hit. My MPC handles the drums. The octatrack handles the melody and bass from the same record I flipped.

Sometimes latest isn’t always greatest. I rock the 2000XL with a card reader. Done!

^2kXL with card reader was my fave MPC I preffered it to the 3000 and 2500 that I had, although I have it on good authority that the 4000 is a beast, fugly though! But yeah 2kXL is great.

Hey did you ever sample the same thing into OT and MPC and compare? Could be interesting :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know the things I’d change… :loopy:

5 Likes

Yes, even just to have that slick black BOX decorating your desk.

1 Like

the 4k fugly?

YMMV

3 Likes

^ Thats a purdy custom job, the ol blue and yellow one with the grey pads I meant :slight_smile:

1 Like

Time for a Kickstarter? Elektron, please?

100% I have both and see no reason they would do anything other than complement each other!

Yes, I have 2 of them. It does what it does, if you need one, buy it.

3 Likes

I’ve made other comments about this here and there…

3 Likes

Such as this really well-considered response? Octatrack 2?

Yeah, sorry for not digging deeper on that. Expectations checked ! :slight_smile:

1 Like