Is it possible to record an automation for a pattern?

Hi,
is it possible to record an automation for a pattern? So recording it when I move some knob parameters of the sampler/machine and then see repeating it every time that the pattern will play in loop.

I know that is possible to assign a parameter variation for every trig of the pattern, but is not the same thing. (PARAMETER LOCKS, page 41 of the manual).

thanks in advance,
Francesco

If you’re in LIVE REC mode (hold rec button + press play), values get recorded for each step you manipulate a knob.
How is this different than the pattern automation you’re looking for ?

1 Like

Seems to be exactly what @tabache is looking for.

OP may be after continuous parameter variation (DAW style) rather than the stepped variation achievable via realtime or step recording programming

There is an option to have linear sliding between adjacent trigs of locked parameters, but if the desire is to capture all the nuance of a complex parameter tweak then the answer is as above … for a bar’s worth of twiddling you’ll get 16 automation steps at best

2 Likes

Thank you, I think you answered my doubts

yupp, you can only achieve supertight and precise automation by utilizing a DAW and overbridge. The elektron sequencer params are quantized into the steps by design, only way to get around that is via LFOs, slides or overbridge.

When I’m in “LIVE REC mode” and I move a knob for record an automation I noticed that in the steps where I was not moving the knob keep the old value and do not take the actual knob position.

Es: 10 step of a knob with default value “4”

values: 4   4   4   4   4   4   4   4   4   4
steps:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10

after a recording where I was moving that knob…

values: 4   5   8   12   15  4   14  12  8   5
steps:  1   2   3   4    5   6   7   8   9   10

In the step 6 I was not moving nothing and it maintain the old value.

I hope that I have explained it well.
Is there a way to not have this problem?

You can work around this with the LFO.

The encoder is only recorded if it moves during the step, otherwise if you thought of it adopting an actual absolute position the last position would be used for all steps if you left recording on. I see your thought process, perhaps there should be a lag to catch cases like that but I think the current approach is good, precise and popular

really? how?
thank

thank avantronica,
I see, I think could be useful a mode in witch it will record also when I do not move the encoder.
Do you think I could ask as new feature also if I’m using a MK1?

Any feature requests are fair game, MK1 is still supported in this regard, but given that it works well if you master the encoder wiggling and is responsive and intuitive I wouldn’t be too optimistic of this changing, but do ask. There’s a dedicated email address at Elektron (search here) and a thread too

1 Like

The way it works now is good once you get used to it. Sometimes I just wiggle the knob a little bit around where I’d want it and go back and fine tune each step.

Think about it this way: If it were constantly recording even unmoving knobs, you’d have every single parameter being locked on every single step, and you’d run out of parameter lock memory like immediately.

Ok, this was really an overly brief off the cuff remark partly ignoring what you asked for - sorry about that. You probably won’t be able to cover every possible set of parameters you want using just the available LFO shapes (and you may want to use it for something else),. At the end of the day what you’re looking for is just not how the Elektron sequencer works.

It seems strange to me to be the only one to make this observation. This is the normal way how all sequencer works with automations.

I think it’s enough to register only the parameter that you have start to move during the actual recording session in LIVE REC mode. So, not all unmoved knobs.

Bump, but this just answered a thread I made last night. It was super frustrating because I was trying to make a filter sweep on a track with a decent amount of trigs and it was not working at all. This explains why.

so basically a slow filter sweep or increase in reverb on a track with a lot of trigs is best done in the performance modes, correct?

or an lfo, lots of threads on doing this for various devices

Yeah I’ve been reading about that, but I’m not sure I can get the same precision. What I’d like to do is have a filter sweep and a reverb send and volume rise across 4 4 bar patterns. A typical 16 bar buildup. Nothing too crazy. Something you can draw in a DAW in 10 seconds. I was thinking maybe the best way to do it is to use performance mode for the parameters and just manually sweep the Perf knob over the course of 16 bars. Is this the best way to get these kind of transitions built quickly?

i don’t quite follow that logic, but you can try doing this more precisely with LFOs … e.g. from a day or so ago

Trying this right now but it’s super confusing. I can’t figure out the settings or the math you are explaining in the post. Also, I want to slowly open up multiple things, like the reverb send, volume and filter so I can’t see how this is possible without using the perf knob.