Is it possible to add a basic mathematical function to MIDI sequencing?

Hello!

I was wondering if you could program the Digitakt to sequence MIDI data that changes dynamically over time.

If I were to program a CC value in my Digitakt at one value, is possible to add a plus 1 to that value every time it runs through a sequence?

Basically (x+1) is what I would like to program.

Cheers!

Not internally.

But I think you could externally control the Digitakt Midi Channels- so if you have a program that can gradually increase a CC value, you could probably combine it with the Digitakt Midi channel.

1 Like

Very few hardware sequencers (Sequentix Cirklon) allow this. On the DT, the closest equivalent is to apply a slow LFO to the parameter that you want to change.

6 Likes

A slow LFO… That’s a really good idea.

Thank you!

1 Like

Works especially well when lfo trigger is turned off; except for the first (trigless) trig of your pattern; give this trig the condition 1st: now your slow lfo is triggered at pattern start and will not be retriggered when the pattern loops.

PRO-TIP:
If the next step on your pattern contains no trigger, you can add a copy of the first one to that step, lfo trigger disabled, condition “not previous”, and micro tune all the way to the left: this trig will replace the first triggen after one repeat

3 Likes

Does anyone know what the Data -1, Data +1 functions in the MIDI Amp sections do?

1 Like

In the midi/tracks the AMP section is used to define the funtions of the controls on the FILT page (EG define which CC number is sent)

It is possible however to send more complex MIDI messages than just Control Change (CC); you can also compose System Exclusive (“SysEx”) and Non Registered Parameter Numbers (“NRPN”) messages, which are composed of several values. You could see this as a sort of chain of CC messages that together address a specific function. Data +1 is one of the values of such messages.

The use of NRPN’s requires a bit deeper understanding of the MIDI protocol; if you want to read more see from post 5 on this thread, this guy explained it quite neatly: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1135684-how-do-sysex-nrpn-etc-work.html

1 Like

I don’t have a Digitakt to confirm this, but I imagine that these are the default names for MIDI Control Change (CC) numbers 96 and 97 that can be sent from the DT’s MIDI sequencer. If so, the effect of these CC messages will depend on the instrument that is receiving them.

For example:

• on a Waldorf Blofeld, CC messages 96 and 97 control the Filter Envelope Decay and Sustain parameters respectively;
  • on an Elektron Machinedrum, these messages control the first two synthesis parameters on one of the MD’s tracks (track 4, 8, 12, or 16, depending on the MIDI channels in use).
1 Like