Is it normal to prefer other’s work over my own?

I think so called “locker room syndrome” applies a bit here, you are not hearing your own work in the same way that you are hearing that of others.

Its all about the angle of the dangle :rofl:

Joking aside, do what you enjoy, be true unto thyself, flow in the living moment, and do your best, and don’t worry about comparing apples to oranges.

2 Likes

Yeah, existential artistic crisis a few years back.
My solace is saying “I’m defining my workflow” and/or “I’m creating my performance interface” which are both technically true, but also a bit of ‘hiding’ from putting what’s in my brain into something more than just a few noodling loops in a DAW at the dining room table.

My muse is neurodivergent and keeps taking me away from anything anyone else can relate to.

1 Like

If you want me to do an hour of atonal nonsense, you’re on! Challenge accepted!

Your job is to create. It’s the audience’s job to judge. So create and set it free. By the time anyone else is judging it you should already be bringing your next creation to life, and thus never worrying about what a critic says.

2 Likes

…in 17/16

2 Likes

We’re going to produce some accidental jazz masterpieces

ah, but would we notice?

If we do, then we have failed, no?
LOL

3 Likes

This is the beauty of the challenge. What is actually worse, more unlistenable, etc etc? @sabana has opened Pandora’s Box here.

1 Like

No l, i definetly identify with that feeling.

For me it has more to do with the fact that I know the process behind my music, so the mystique is gone. I love that sense of htf did they do that when I listen to music.

I think that’s why I love Bon Iver so much their music is riddled with mystique and equally Aphex Twin.

2 Likes

We all spend time.
Whether creating stuff using time to do it or listening to stuff that takes time to do.
You could use time making stuff that no one else spends time listening to or using time to listen to someone who wasted their time making something that’s not worth listening to.

Who cares? Get on with either of those pursuits and time is the only victim.
Who that time supposedly has been spent by is irrelevant and a waste of time speculating over.

You wasted time reading that or did I waste time writing it?

It’s a draw

Yes

Finally, a competition I have a chance of winning!

3 Likes

That happened to me once. The walk home was uncomfortable.

1 Like

In the discussion about competition for worst, we arrive at the quandary: what defines “bad” music?

And is it bad if you intended to make bad music and succeeded?

1 Like

I see what you mean. Most times the worst music (or art, movies, etc) happen when the creator is dead earnest about the majesty of their creation :thinking:

I personally dislike a great part of mainstream music.
But i enjoy so much some others that i would not even compare both.
I think the intention is important. We can hear a music made for $ or from the heart/guts/mind. Sometimes, with luck or else, the latter joins the first one.
I’d leave adjective like « better », « bad », etc. to sport. It is not a competition here. Business of music is but Making music is not (yet).

I’ve also seen a LOT of people defining themselves as musicians or artists and full of confidence. All i’d say is that for the most they replaced work by confidence.

I like to remind this circle at times:

Oh that’s nice -> actually it’s pretty great -> well that’s not that amazing -> it’s crap -> i’m crap -> oh that’s nice…

The trick being to know each step will pass by and that working hard and enjoying it allows to shorten the transitions and to not stay stuck in one of the step.

Finally i’ll say the best musicians i met stay in their bedroom. The others go to the world to present their work and get some critics. Only these ones will evolve, there’s no place/state/status to reach at the end of the journey. Better enjoy the trip!

Comparison is the thief of joy.

1 Like

Like Ed Wood vs Asylum?

1 Like

Yep, and the guy who made The Room.

I’m sure this is terrible, but I’m not sure the artists think it’s good.

The worst track competition. I guess the least number of hearts wins the game. No love for the track. Just pure indifference or revulsion :smiley:

2 Likes