Is it my imagination or are the MD bassdrums sounding better?

Just reinvested in an MD and whoa, for some reason the internal synthesis bassdrums are just much easier to make sound fantastico.

My previous Machinedrum was a 2007 model, with os 1.61

Most recent (from Psedolux, awesome gratitude from me) Machinedrum is the most recent with the extra capacity Snapshot drive and the better rotary grip… os 1.63

Perhaps it is just the benefit of the newer machine.

Or the relief at being reunited with Elektron hardware.

3 Likes

Could be the reunited feeling, maybe it sounds fresher because it’s a new sound.

For me, it’s that I think of it as a more clicky sounding drum machine, and I’m impressed it has its low end power

What engine are you using?

Edit: I’m pretty astounded by the boom of the TRX BD2

Maybe you had an mk1?
Maybe new parts in last versions or a new dac?

i have a theory that Elektron slightly tweaked the algorithms without telling anyone, so that we would not request they do the same with all the other drums :smiley: not that the other drums need it.

previous MD was uw mkII.

could be the new unit, clean master outputs, new dac yes perhaps.

to get punch on the snare drums, i find lower the volume towards midday, push some dist parameter and use some tastefully applied additive eq to the lower mid range.

that reminds me… is that wonderful chart of frequencies around anywhere, the one mapping eq parameter to real-world measurements?

1 Like

hey there @previewlounge …longlong time we dont meet :slight_smile: (I believe since ElektronUsers forum…)

Anyway…that chart is still around I believe…I have this: here you go

MD EQ.rtf (1.1 KB)

3 Likes

Recently I have been making snares from a sine machine that also trigs a noise machine on another track. Simple but effective. If I need two tones I have sometimes used the EFM rimshot with modulations turned down, instead of the sine.

2 Likes

uber cheers for the chart, so very valuable and precious :slight_smile:

years and timelines yes, delighted to have returned

1 Like

snares are the perfect use-case for trig layering…

thanks for sharing your technique(s), shall explore them later on this evening :slight_smile:

1 Like