Is it Legal for Airport Security to take apart your synths?

I was flying to Japan from LAX one time and while I was standing in line to go through carry on luggage security, the security had me come through the detector myself while they took my flight case with a few synths in it to a table about 8 feet away…
the tsa agent who was inspecting me was what I thought of as obviously trying to keep my attention from my instruments by continually trying to make jokes with me while trying to keep me facing him directly with my back to the synths… he even started unnecessary conversations about my music career etc… it was a thoroughly frustrating experience.

so behind me as I said about 8 feet away maybe 10 there were several agents with my synths and they were trying to block me from seeing what they were doing… when it was all said and done I actually missed my flight and they put me on a flight the next day :rage:

they completely ruined a birthday celebration that was waiting for me in Japan… for nothing, and to make it clear they never said there was any issue with me or my baggage, nothing like that… in their words it was all routine and everything was fine it just took longer than usual and they were sorry for that… but I didn’t find out until I got to Japan that they had taken my synths apart and put them back together and I was livid… even though it’s been a little while since I still can’t help but think some one deserves a nice throttling when I think about it… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

has that ever happened to you, is it a standard process cause I can’t ever remember having the experience before or after that?

1 Like

Which synths?

How did you make that conclusion?
Can you prove it?
How long ago did this happen?
Did you contact the airport with your complaint?

1 Like

moog mg-1, Roland rs-09, and Nord lead 1

That seems a little implausible that they could disassemble and reassemble all three synths while you stood there. Sorry to hear about the bad experience…. also what in the world are you traveling with those three for, that’s a massive amount of weight and space… wouldn’t they be checked luggage? Is this a real story dude? I want to see the carry-on flight case that fits these three!

4 Likes

And ya know… the x ray machines That all the luggage goes through … literally no reason to take anything apart to see what is inside.

1 Like

they didn’t put the mg-1 / rs-09 back correctly, nore the Nord which is customized and I noticed the differences in all of them straight away as they were like my children.

it was about 5 years ago , I didn’t contact anyone, doubt I could have proven it as I didn’t film them, it would have just been my word against theirs, and attempting to take LAX to task from Japan didn’t seem like a viable option at the time

Which airline was it, cos that is a generous hand luggage allowance.

5 Likes

umm yeah I’m not joking… I don’t have that case anymore but it was large… I didn’t trust not keeping them with me so I planned accordingly and fell just within weight regulations

My maschine once had a tnt check at the AirPort

And I want to see someone shove it in the over head locker.

3 Likes

Dude there is no way that case would fit within any size or weight restrictions for carry-on luggage ever! This is a fun thread.

2 Likes

hence me missing my flight

So it was 5 years ago and it annoyed you so much you did nothing until now, on a synth nerd forum?

It would have taken aiport security staff longer to figure out how to take the synths apart… than to actually take them apart…

What happened next? Dont tell me they got a multi meter out to check for continuity…

5 Likes

Where?

Who’s a nerd?

You’re a nerd.

12 Likes

no I’m not planning any action, I was just thinking about it and wondered how standard it might be… btw… I think it will always annoy me, but that is not what the thread is about

This reminds me of the time I tried to take my Arp 2500 as carry-on but the flight attendants made me check it after it wouldn’t fit through the airplane door.

16 Likes

what is a tnt check?

Tape & Texture check, standard for new home buyers.

4 Likes

Did one of the security guys look like this?

44 Likes