Is it just me or is OB still messed up?

What I meant with latency issues:
The OB sync always worked very well when I tried it. The problem with my specific setup is that I’m a fan of hardware effect boxes. For example, I’m tracking everything through a Fatso, which is so much better than the compressor in the Rytm. Or I like to record through guitar pedals, OTO Bisquit, etc.
With OB sync delay compensation doesn’t work anymore when recording through a soundcard. I tried to use manual delay compensation with Live, but it’s a mess and very annoying.
When I sync the Rytm with standard midi clock the delay compensation is working perfectly and everything is great and no hassle.
I tried using OB for total recall, which could be very nice in theory, but it annoyed me by asking to reload settings all the time and I found that I don’t really need it. So now I’m back to good old midi sync and recording through soundcard, because this workflow is rock solid and no hassle.

I get absolutely no problems whatsoever. I can honestly say that. iMac and Ableton Live 9.6. Rytm and A4. I use it for hours at a time almost every day and never get a single drop-out or glitch. Both devices are plugged directly into USB 3.0 ports on the back of the iMac.

I must be incredibly lucky is all I can say looking at some of the feedback on this forum. More than anything, I really wish I could pinpoint what is so special about my computer, but it really is just a normal iMac I bought from a shop and have done nothing to. Sorry :confused:

Im on a 2010 Lenovo x201 i5 with 8gb RAM running OB (for Analog4) inside Ableton Live with Maschine running too.

Never had any problems with OB.

I’ll admit that i’d be super pissed though if it didn’t work well and I’d spent all that money on a4 or rytm over other equipment solely for the software integration.

Overbridge works okay for me on my imac when I use Ableton.

When I use it with Reaper the timing is all over the place.

Here i’m using Logic X 10.2.4 and AK via Overbridge.
I think is really time to make a serious upgrade for AU.
After few mounths, i’m very very disappointed.

2 Likes

I have a 2010 macbook pro. I’m experiencing kernel panics, and can’t see the +Drive library in OB.
Elektron says we can’t expect OB to work on Dual Core CPUs. That’s quite weird since other softwares, plugins work good enough on my laptop. I did a system reset in march, but I don’t know if a new one would work. It’s quite time consuming just to see if OB would work properly.
Maybe I should just upgrade my laptop to the new range coming this year.

OB works fairly well for me on my 2011 imac. Mavericks OS.

However, the timing seems pretty tight until I compare it to using just a drumrack or Microtonic in Ableton. Then I definitely notice it lags behind. Ugh.

Also, using the USB audio seems so much quieter and a bit anemic. I then plug in the regular stereo outs into my soundcard and it seems much louder and nicer.

I have been using OB ever since it was first released and must admit, it has gotten better. The only problems I seem to encounter now, are things like noise when loading in plugins from my Uad devices or some of my more CPU hungry plugins, but I can’t be sure if this is due to bandwidth hitting the limit, or just an Overbridge problem . Anyway, this is only happens whilst constructing a song in Ableton and adding effects, or editing sounds etc. Apart from that I don’t have much other issues apart from the overall sound quality not being quite as good as my Uad Apollo. This is only very slight, but is still quite apparent when comparing samples.
I think most of the problems I had in the past where down to my OS, but those seem to have been corrected mostly with my upgrading to windows 10.

i cant imagine the elektrons having a really nice A/D converter in there… its just a guess tho

usually you pay quite a bit for something like that on its own…

even back when i was planning on using Overbridge I was wanting to just use the analog outputs… not the USB multi-track audio…

but yeh… i passed on it … getting an OT really helped there LOL

Works fine here asus laptop 2013, no issues with the latest update in ableton, had to get overhub as all my machine ate through my sub power but since then not one glitch.
My only query to. All those out there is has anyone got ob working in resolume?

I dont like computers and didnt like my experiences with Ob. Noise, latency and other vibe braking hassle.

This week i uninstalled it and installed the newest version. (Dont know the os)
Worked perfectly immediately!

I use macbookpro quatcore 2011
Ob hub and akeys and ar

Feels very good. I opened 20 programma’s, went to bed, day after i pressed play
All good;
No latency problema, stable,'fantastic

1 Like

Next to useless running both AR an AK in Logic for me, I’ve given up on it.

Elektron uses Burr Brown converters, which are known for being high quality audio for most applications. When it comes to “high quality” ADC/DAC devices, it levels out around Burr Brown until you are willing to spend $10,000 or more for a single stereo out (for things like Bricasti or Lavry interfaces, mainly used for mastering engineers and the such.)

I am so confused by people expecting Elektron to just cut corners on this type of stuff, but I have also seen forum posts here where people say “The DACs in my audio interface sound MUCH BETTER than Overbridge” and think its due to conversion quality when its the exact same chip in both. Gain staging is an area most people aren’t good at doing consistently, especially if you are a “I hate computers” person who doesn’t bother to learn how to send signals into your DAW, so I chalk most of that up to error.

3 Likes

some hassle here still too. Works in Ableton Live okayish, when only using AR + A4 and maybe some external Synths via Midi. But yesterday I tried to sync the Octatrack to AR (which is synced via OB). Octatrack sends Midi to Volca Bass and then Voca Bass to audio in … audio in of A4 sounds not as good as the audio ins of my sound cards. I made a test A4 vs. Motu 828 MK2 and RME 802FF … and both soundcards sounds nicer for converting AD … but this gives my a latency and it makes no fun. Maybe trying to sync Octatrack via Midi to Ableton next time.

And Logic … well … another really sad story.

But using overbridge vst as an editor for the machines is still great! And using audio outs via analog cable into your sound card givesalso smoot and good sounding audio withough bitcrusher and all that strange effects. So all in all … still mixed feelings about OB.

thats on you though - you get that, right?

It works most of the time but I still get blips at times that kills the perfect recording/performance up to that point. Because of this, I don’t use it for recording audio but still use it for syncing the Elektron boxes to Live.

I also use it for sound editing. Mainly as a visual feedback as I modify the sound params using the encoders. It beats looking at the A4’s small screen for long time.

I’m using 2015 MBP i5 with 16GB. Live sends clock to A4 via OB and MM,MD,OT gets clock from A4. The sync has been perfect so far.

I don’t get Overbridge 1.10.1 to work with Logic 10.2.4.

• I have a 4k iMac with high spec and a Apollo16/Thunderbold.
  • I am limiting the transfer in Overbridge to just 4 channels on 16 Bit.
  • Buffer size in Overbridge and in Logic is 64

Still: latency is unusable high to play on the pads. Bleeps and Cracks on top of it.
I am wondering if anyone is using that in Logic successfully because Elektron is still advertising Overbridge like it is a working solution?

When I checked Elektrons website they announced that the interface won a design award.
I have to admit, at least it looks nice. :worried:

2 Likes

It seems the consensus is Ableton = good, Logic = turd.
A bummer for me. I love performing with Ableton but I just can’t write in it. The workflow in Logic just clicks for me and the MIDI tools are supreme. I also don’t care for the coloring scheme in Ableton. As silly as it sounds, having the ability to make the tracks fully filled in (color wise) instead less-than half way would make a big difference. Also the poor implementation of multi screen.

try to set buffer to 128, maybe work a bit better - but still not as great as it could.
Sync is still wonky.

I just tried OB after long break and I still can’t get AK to work properly with FL Studio 12 (using Windows 10 PC).

When I try to record a loop from AK sequencer into FL Studio, it always misses first tick. It’s pretty frustrating.

If anyone knows how to properly record audio from AK to FL Studio using Overbridge, I’d love to know. As it is, OB seems useless for this purpose and it’s kind of a shame.

EDIT: After some hassle I managed to get it working quite well. I (partly) followed this post: FL Studio (12) + Overbridge – Latency compensation