Is it just me or is OB still messed up?

After 4 months of not touching it, I decided to try it out due to convenience/laziness of running audio cables behind my desk. I made sure everything was up to date (RYTM, OB) before I tried.

Anyway, I made the mistake of opening it in Logic X (10.2.3). If worked well for about 2 minutes, then it sounds like lofi madenss (constant crackles, hitches in tempo). After I closed it and reopened it again, I was unable to access the project (Logic X would just hang when normally the main windows start showing up). After removing the AU from the plugin manager, I can access the project.

I also noticed that I max out my bandwidth in OB settings app before opening up all track streams. I can only get 6 out of 8 tracks (without the main L/R) despite my RYTM being plugged directly into a usb 3.0 slot on my Mac Pro 08’.

My question is whether either of these issues are normal for other users.
I have a lot of hardware plugged into my system so I’m trying to avoid the long process of “does it work when this is plugged in?”

so have you ever got it to run ok on that machine?

It definitely more useable in Ableton, but even there I get some timing issues and crackle. In Logic it’s been this always. It starts off okay for the first 5 - 15 minutes, then the crackle sets in and won’t go away.

I’m just gonna run audio cables and skip OB for now, still seems too buggy.

Cheers

I have a similar setup and also have audio dropouts, and I only get signal from 6 voices, CH/OH and CY/CB nowhere to be found. Like this OB is unusuable to me since i use all voices in my tracks and I record jams, rather than sections. Hope they fix it.

PS: I use all posts to insist on the request of adding Retrig Quantize function to the OS, since it’s on the manual but not on the AR. Please Elektron!!

Also not working relieable for me. Overbridge 1.0 ran kind of ok’ish but the newer version doesn’t work properly. I get timing issues. First I thought this was due to midi clock jitter but I noticed that it is the digital audio which is causing it as the analogue signal is spot on when the timing issues happen.

I gave up on it. However, the good thing about is that normal midi sync seems to have improved a lot with the latest firmware upgrades.
Even if it worked properly, it would only be fun as a self contained setup, like laptop + rytm.
As soon as there are other devices, effect boxes, analog recording, etc. there are latency issues which are hard to solve.
I don’t see the point to be honest. If I wanted to work in the box I wouldn’t buy elektron gear.

1 Like

i think the engineers were over-optmistic in terms of what they could achieve, given their team size and resources… just IMHO

Just by way of counterpoint to that, if it wasn’t for the promise of seamless integration with my daw centred setup, I wouldn’t have bought Elektron gear, it was what persuaded me ahead of getting a Tempest and a couple of vintage boards instead.

Had serious issues with all previous versions, but it’s working very well for me since the full 1.1 release, Rytm and A4, 2014 MBP, overhub connected via usb2 cable - this was important in the 1.1 beta, not sure it’s relevant now, but I don’t see the point in changing a system that’s working well - working more or less exclusively in Ableton Live.

Latency issues will always be there when for , whether using overbridge or just tracking via an audio interface. I do my final tracking in audio to take advantage of the unison preamps in my uad apollo, doing that I still have to account for latency - but in general find OB sync acceptable.

1 Like

What I meant with latency issues:
The OB sync always worked very well when I tried it. The problem with my specific setup is that I’m a fan of hardware effect boxes. For example, I’m tracking everything through a Fatso, which is so much better than the compressor in the Rytm. Or I like to record through guitar pedals, OTO Bisquit, etc.
With OB sync delay compensation doesn’t work anymore when recording through a soundcard. I tried to use manual delay compensation with Live, but it’s a mess and very annoying.
When I sync the Rytm with standard midi clock the delay compensation is working perfectly and everything is great and no hassle.
I tried using OB for total recall, which could be very nice in theory, but it annoyed me by asking to reload settings all the time and I found that I don’t really need it. So now I’m back to good old midi sync and recording through soundcard, because this workflow is rock solid and no hassle.

I get absolutely no problems whatsoever. I can honestly say that. iMac and Ableton Live 9.6. Rytm and A4. I use it for hours at a time almost every day and never get a single drop-out or glitch. Both devices are plugged directly into USB 3.0 ports on the back of the iMac.

I must be incredibly lucky is all I can say looking at some of the feedback on this forum. More than anything, I really wish I could pinpoint what is so special about my computer, but it really is just a normal iMac I bought from a shop and have done nothing to. Sorry :confused:

Im on a 2010 Lenovo x201 i5 with 8gb RAM running OB (for Analog4) inside Ableton Live with Maschine running too.

Never had any problems with OB.

I’ll admit that i’d be super pissed though if it didn’t work well and I’d spent all that money on a4 or rytm over other equipment solely for the software integration.

Overbridge works okay for me on my imac when I use Ableton.

When I use it with Reaper the timing is all over the place.

Here i’m using Logic X 10.2.4 and AK via Overbridge.
I think is really time to make a serious upgrade for AU.
After few mounths, i’m very very disappointed.

2 Likes

I have a 2010 macbook pro. I’m experiencing kernel panics, and can’t see the +Drive library in OB.
Elektron says we can’t expect OB to work on Dual Core CPUs. That’s quite weird since other softwares, plugins work good enough on my laptop. I did a system reset in march, but I don’t know if a new one would work. It’s quite time consuming just to see if OB would work properly.
Maybe I should just upgrade my laptop to the new range coming this year.

OB works fairly well for me on my 2011 imac. Mavericks OS.

However, the timing seems pretty tight until I compare it to using just a drumrack or Microtonic in Ableton. Then I definitely notice it lags behind. Ugh.

Also, using the USB audio seems so much quieter and a bit anemic. I then plug in the regular stereo outs into my soundcard and it seems much louder and nicer.

I have been using OB ever since it was first released and must admit, it has gotten better. The only problems I seem to encounter now, are things like noise when loading in plugins from my Uad devices or some of my more CPU hungry plugins, but I can’t be sure if this is due to bandwidth hitting the limit, or just an Overbridge problem . Anyway, this is only happens whilst constructing a song in Ableton and adding effects, or editing sounds etc. Apart from that I don’t have much other issues apart from the overall sound quality not being quite as good as my Uad Apollo. This is only very slight, but is still quite apparent when comparing samples.
I think most of the problems I had in the past where down to my OS, but those seem to have been corrected mostly with my upgrading to windows 10.

i cant imagine the elektrons having a really nice A/D converter in there… its just a guess tho

usually you pay quite a bit for something like that on its own…

even back when i was planning on using Overbridge I was wanting to just use the analog outputs… not the USB multi-track audio…

but yeh… i passed on it … getting an OT really helped there LOL

Works fine here asus laptop 2013, no issues with the latest update in ableton, had to get overhub as all my machine ate through my sub power but since then not one glitch.
My only query to. All those out there is has anyone got ob working in resolume?

I dont like computers and didnt like my experiences with Ob. Noise, latency and other vibe braking hassle.

This week i uninstalled it and installed the newest version. (Dont know the os)
Worked perfectly immediately!

I use macbookpro quatcore 2011
Ob hub and akeys and ar

Feels very good. I opened 20 programma’s, went to bed, day after i pressed play
All good;
No latency problema, stable,'fantastic

1 Like

Next to useless running both AR an AK in Logic for me, I’ve given up on it.