Is it possible for the sequencer to record joystick movement?

Hi,
don’t understand what the problem is. All seq in a DAW could record this normal midiprotocoll CC data. Maybe a special track to rec is an solution like FX data or CV events.

Would also seem to be a no-brainer to implement the ability to fully poly chain an A4 with the AK for more tracks/voice count. I am holding onto my A4 in hopes that this is finally a possibility and once this, after touch/joystick events can be real time recorded via keys into sequencer, I will buy an AK in a heartbeat.

It’s been stated before but a great number of keyboard players work entirely different than the corporate philosophy and pre-AK user base. It would also increase sales exponentially as well as get more keyboard players across spectrum of different genre interested.
Not ALL keyboard players and composers will just as equally not be interested in the OverBridge because of existing work flows with DAW’s other than Live, such as Pro Tools to even Reaper. We use midi to communicate between all our various hardware synths and that means we need more than just simple midi clock sync…midi out of sequencer to instruments other than Elektron outside the box would also be a really nice change of philosophy.

Yea. This is complete bullshit.

Every keyboard I have ever owned with a sequencer can record pitch bend and modulation. Every one. Every freakin one… even the cheap ones.

For an $1800 flagship synth, we should be allowed to record basic and essential pitch/whammy techniques and mod/trem. No excuse.

It annoys me to the point where sometimes I think of returning the damn thing. How could Elektron overlook this?

Even though I agree it would be nice if Elektron would also support “traditional” MIDI event sequencing support, the included sequencer is in fact a step sequencer.

1 Like

Last week I purchased my first Elektron machine… the Analog Keys. Am very much enjoying the sound engine and expressive playability of it and I’m using aftertouch and the joystick constantly.
I was looking forward to the AK being untethered from the computer. It was disappointing to learn that it cannot record the controllers. It does make me wonder if the Elektron folks just don’t play keyboards… As a keyboard player, it would never even have occurred to me that the internal sequencer on a synth might not record what the user plays on the synth. Isn’t that the most primary function? Seems like a big disconnect.

I’m getting over it and accepting that a good portion of the time I will be recording to my DAW and bypassing the AK sequencer.

Big +1 on being able to record the joystick and aftertouch in the internal sequencer… I’d like to be able to use it more!

Indeed it’s most primary. And indeed, I think they’re not playing keyboards that much. But here’s a big +1 for future software updates and the evolution of the platform :slight_smile:
File a bug report in the support section of elektron.se and let them know directly.

1 Like

really at first i couldn’t believe it when the joystick was not recording plocks !!
anyway I just went around the limitation and started sampling into the MDUW
elektron please update this ,!!!

btw can you record joystick plocks from the analog keys while trigging the mono machine in the analog keys midi mode?

bump

I know nothing about electronics but would this movements be recorded into the CV-sequencer or do they need to add a midi-sequencer to achieve this ? Is it possible to record continious-controllers ( without audible stepping ) into a cv-sequencer ? Do cv-sequencers like this exist ?

with overbridge on its way there might be a way to record the joystick into the daw …, just a thought

Off the record some of the Elektron staff gave me a little insight on the development process. And they told me that they are very careful about memory and cpu load for Overbridge. There’s no way to predict the final footprint it’ll have on the system. (Especially on the Rytm, with so many tracks.)So there’ll probably be no experiments with new features before Overbridge is final.

Although recording the joystick should, in my opinion, have been there from day one. It should be top priority. Smoothest would be a new joystick parameter on the notes page, but I wouldn’t mind if all the parameter changes done by the joystick became regular parameter locks all over. It would be the simple dirty implementation with little extra work.

1 Like

Slightly off topic, and maybe I still haven’t read the manual properly(!), but…

I found recently that if you move the joystick say north and hold it there, then change to a different track and let go of the joystick, then the track you just left continues to ‘hold’ the joystick where you had it (and thus the tone/modulation). I like this!

Urgento

Yeah, I’ve noticed this too. I think the Rytm works the same way with performance mode. what do they call it in the manual? Latching? Hold?

+1 on record the joystick movements.

I find the joystick being a the 50% of the expression of a perfomance playing the analog keys. And i would love the possibility to record it in the analog keys sequencer.

Thank you Elektron for creating a fantastic synth, really inspiring. Im having lot´s of fun with just the analog keys and a prophet 8 controlled from the analog keys.

:sob: So nothing for hardware only users, after all this time, gah

I actually prefer it NOT to record the joystick movement.

I like to keep the joystick movement for live improv - to further tweak on the fly what is already sequenced.

Or, if they do implement the feature, give the option to have joystick recording kept turned off.

Yeah, I’ve noticed this too. I think the Rytm works the same way with performance mode. what do they call it in the manual? Latching? Hold?[/quote]
For the record, the Monomachine does this as well.

another bump

I would buy an Analog Keys if this became possible.

This and being able to sequence external MIDI are the two big things I wish my AK could do. I’m assuming the MIDI sequencing won’t/can’t happen, but joystick recording would be absolutely huge.