Is it possible for the sequencer to record joystick movement?

And aftertouch??

No, not right now

1 Like

Any word as to if they’re planning to implement them in the future?

Any word as to if they’re planning to implement them in the future?[/quote]
I havent read about anything planned… nor can I see into the future, but…
U cant record the fader on the octatrack on the octatrack itself. (unless you play with midi loopback stuff or external sequencer)
U cant record the joystick on the monomachine-keyboard (unless you have external sequencer)
So something inside me says: the joystick on the Analogkeys will be like that… non-recordable on the box itself
I could be wrong… I could be right… its just me assuming things based on past experiences…

I remember that the reason that the monomachine couldn’t do it was that there would be too much data for the storage capacity.

but this is years later - would that still be a reason?

It would so obviously be a great feature…

The joystick is such a central part in how you play the sounds you want to record. They must do it. It’s inevitable if you ask me. I’m a strong believer in joystick recording :slight_smile:
What it is is a lot of parameter changes, and it already does record that when you twist the knobs. So I’d say it’d be pretty straight forward to implement joystick recording into trigs with parameter slides. This way it could be edited too.

… To record it at a higher resolution than 16 steps per page though would mean some rethinking. And in the end, to keep the sequencer tidy, I can understand if the team is having a lot of resistance about it. But I’d really like to record precise movements though.

4 Likes

being that the joystick is merely modifying the parameters just as you could with knobs (thought obviously not in the same manner), I don’t see how that feature won’t make it into an update

perhaps it is just a matter of recording X amount of parameter changes at one time

it’s not that the A4 isn’t capable, clearly it has a lot of oomph, it’s a philosophy/clarity thing - i very very much doubt they’ll incorporate those ‘performance’ parameters (beyond velocity) and it certainly won’t be done by parameter slides because that would affect other plocked entries - i originally found the absence of pitchbend/mod/AT recording a bit disappointing but tbh, the wealth of other parameter control options is already exceptional and virtually limitless, given the sequencer will probably never record in-between steps (like it does on say the monotribes) then i don’t see it being included any time soon as it would be too steppy - the great thing about the current scheme is that you always have a performance layer on top of your pattern - remember the performance mods happen at a finer resolution than the p-locks can, see it as a bonus that it is setup this way !! i like the current approach, ymmv :wink:

A4? it doesn’t have a joystick, this is about the AK :slight_smile:

??
same engine, same philosophy
!!

FYI - the joystick just talks to three of the regular parameters on the sound setting page, so it’s no more than a neat/convenient way to address those same parameters - a virtual joystick in Lemur would do the same modding

[quote="“avantronica”"]

??
same engine, same philosophy
!!

FYI - the joystick just talks to three of the regular parameters on the sound setting page, so it’s no more than a neat/convenient way to address those same parameters - a virtual joystick in Lemur would do the same modding[/quote]
with the keys, in my opinion, they’re moving into a sort of new territory, and so their philosophy should also adapt to its new surrounding. Keyboard players will perform and record a lot with the keyboard I think, and the joystick is part of that. It’s a very different machine in terms of both functionality and who it’s targeted at.
The joystick is altering 15 parameters btw. 5 parameters per page. It’s pretty great.

4 Likes

right on cuckoo

…and it seems to me they should be able to record those parameter changes in live record mode… :slight_smile:

ok, yeah - 5 from bend, east-west - 5 from modwheel, north - 5 from breath, south - 3 parameter ‘pages’ is what i meant, same as the A4 !! - they will retain patch/os compatibility - it’s real easy to connect a keyboard to the A4 so it won’t diverge, it’s just more convenient with the AK - whether it ever changes, only elektron can know, the octatrack does record some of these ‘performance’ params but e.g. steppy pitchbend is not so nice (no better than p-locking pitch) and as it stands there’s nowhere in the UI to host those parameters for editing - you never know, it’s just my hunch - they’re not gonna support midi ‘sustain’ for keyboard players any time soon either, but you do at least get a nice hold button on the AK - maybe they’ll diversify and support these performance aspects the with a higher voice count poly but i can’t see the AK going that way imho - remember it’s not their first keyboard either - just keep lovin’ it the way it is i say, the folks getting all down because it doesn’t midi sequence are missing the point, there’s a tonne of fun to be had now, make the most of it :slight_smile:

somebody must have asked Elektron about this already, wonder what they said …

Still haven’t received mine from Sweetwater, but more fantasies emerge…

Can you set the joystick to send out cv? If so then one could, say, record this into a eurorack modcan cv record module for instance, or into some other modules that record in a more limited sense.

If Elektron were to update the OS to allow joystick movement/aftertouch to be recorded by the sequencer, it’d make the Analog Keys an even more compelling package… if they’re concerned with that.

If they were to make an announcement of this being in the plans for the Analog Keys’ future, I’d cancel my RYTM preorder and order the Keys; that’s how huge I think this feature would be. Either way, I hope they communicate whether, or not this will be implemented; I have to plan my GAS accordingly :joy:.

Got my analog keys, and am quite enjoying it.

I think that Elektron should answer this very simple question, based on the fact that clearly, recording joystick movements in some capacity would be a very good thing. Is this possible? Is it planned? Why is it a bad idea, etc.

I mean, I’m kind of sick of this corporate reticence to answer very simple questions.

Why not? It’s obvious that this is a desired feature.

With the Analog Keys, it feels like it might be time for the Elektron team to start thinking about maybe adding an additional track type optimized for real-time recording of MIDI events.

Traditionally, Elektron has been all about immediate x0x-style step sequencing. I understand why they’re hesitant about adding something that moves away from that, but it would be absolutely lovely to be able to record exactly what was played, and then be able to go in and make tiny edits just like you can with the event list on an MPC.

+1
After Touch should be able to be recorded via the AK keys or even a midi keys connected to A4. It really does nothing for my creative process to have to go in and apply after touch and velocity events to individual steps. Basic midi.

+1
After Touch should be able to be recorded via the AK keys or even a midi keys connected to A4. It really does nothing for my creative process to have to go in and apply after touch and velocity events to individual steps. Basic midi.[/quote]
Couldn’t agree more… I was realtime recording for the first time last week and I was surprised when my aftertouchin’ wasn’t recorded!

I got a response from Elektron yesterday about this. They said that while this is not possible now, it might be possible in the future, and the person agreed that it would be a nice feature.

2 Likes