Is flagging used fairly on here?

Exactly, a confusingly used flag occurring is not the end of the world here, better to move on with someone’s life than engage in whatever negative feedback loop of grievance and fragility.

If it keeps happening with regularity, it’s probably more about communication and rhetoric.

There are reasons to be cynical about certain “web2” additions, upvotes/downvotes are not directly analogous to likes and reports.

Viewing people appreciating a post as hierarchal/transactional behavior where there are winners and losers can’t be healthy to engaging with online communities.

Hearts are good. They’re good for when you need to acknowledge a reply or something, but adding an extra post to do so would be clutter.

Ignoring users is occasionally tempting, but I like some of you in some threads, but you rub me the wrong way in others. I don’t want to miss the positive contributions.

I think heavier moderation (self moderation included) of specific gear threads (vs general discussion threads) is really valuable. There’s nothing worse than trying to research a piece of gear or an issue with something through reading a forum thread and finding the majority is off topic.

This place really strikes a fantastic balance between a discussion forum and a library of knowledge. I feel like people worrying about getting flagged are more in the chat/discussion space rather than the library building headspace. I love posting corny jokes but I manage to resist about 75% of the time because it’s ultimately not useful.

Whoever called out the breadth of knowledge in this community above is spot on. An incredible brains trust on here and I’m glad that most questions and non-music related topics get helpful answers.

15 Likes

The silliest thing about drama about “what you can’t say” in these complaints is that it’s never about interesting stuff, technical help or creativity.

It’s always stuff we can encounter anywhere else on the internet.

11 Likes

Hey I really enjoy this forum

Consistently positive and a rare corner of the internet. Don’t f around. The mods are good enough

6 Likes

IMO the flag system is good but would be better with a few tweaks. Correct me if I’m wrong but as it is one person can flag a post and have it hidden. Maybe having a higher threshold to hide would keep the system from being abused. Maybe like 3-5 flag’s should be required to hide a post?

1 Like

Pretty sure the default tolerance is already configured to require 3 separate flags on this board.

Thats the default for Discourse!

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for clarifying

1 Like

I am not a veteran of this forum, but I have been in and out of it for quite a few years now. I have certainly noticed that the number of flagged posts has increased dramatically over the past year or two. But I have also noticed that the style of dialogue in the forum has changed alongside this increase.

It does seem like the forum begins to resemble other social media platforms at times in terms of the style of dialogue. It’s logical to me that this would correspond with an increase in flagged posts and mod intervention.

I admit I miss the contributions of some of the old school users who don’t seem to be around anymore. The vibe is different. But things evolve. That’s inevitable. I accept it.

Shift in style = reaction to the shift in style. That’s what it feels like to me.
I do appreciate the mods here. They are articulate and offer measured rationale for their decisions. Props.

11 Likes

in some degree it is, but in addition to what Dave said about enjoying or appreciating someone’s post I see it also as a “silent agreement” function, for the times you know, you want to show someone you’re agreeing with them without needling further conversation, especially on controversial topics, and avoiding additional flagging

3 Likes

Just like it asks you to use it in the guidelines.

Wrt other deleted posts

The topic is spent, when it becomes reduced to the belittling digs level about the guidelines and moderation it’s basically done.

8 Likes

A few personal thoughts after having read the whole discussion, back from holidays:

• three flags get a post automatically hidden. Happens on obvious breaks against the guidelines, that everyone should have read already. These are simple and frankly only state what respect is. They are Discourse defaults btw.

• one flag alerts us AND HELPS THE COMMUNITY. We evaluate the context, which often takes time, then either ignore/reject or accept. Sometimes we discuss with the flagger beforehand, sometimes with the flagged person. If you only ignore, you’re good, but it lets the place less enjoyable for the others. So please, don’t hesitate using the “imperfect-but-best-we-got” flagging tool.

• we’ve been moderating for more than 7 years. Through discussions with members of the community, contributors or on-the-leave, we adapted our approach and can detect some patterns. If someone has a problem with the moderation, it’s best to contact us directly. The passive aggressiveness left here and there on a discussion leaves a mark, we don’t appreciate this and it’s usually a good way to get shown the exit.

• if you are offended to get flagged, ask yourself how positive/useful your contribution was, and if it really should be a burden to your mind. Investigating why it hurts your ego might also do you and the community some good.

• only “political agenda” I can see in my actions (although that term feels like issued from extreme-right propaganda to my French mind) is removing content I find too sexist. Racism and ablism are treated the same. I have stated it publicly several times in the meme thread, it’s there that I can at times remove content I feel doesn’t fit the spirit of this forum. Wife jokes, incel jokes, edgy jokes, leave them outside please.

• the goal of this place is ultimately to offer a safe place to chat about music, drop some musical references, share tricks about electronic music production and gear. Other content is ok, but not the main thing. Humor is good of course, but I’d like people to ask themselves if it could offend anyone before posting, as a way to show respect for the community. See it as an exercise to develop your sensitivity/empathy, it’s a good perk for an artist anyway. If stated with respect, no posts should hurt others’ feelings. Respect shows some character. Owning one’s mistakes as well. Defying authority while making poor contributions doesn’t.

48 Likes