Is flagging used fairly on here?

I’m cracking my first beer as soon as I’m done working! Sunday funday! Cheers!

4 Likes

It’s seems weird that there isn’t just a report feature. Like, I get that’s what the flag is but a flag makes everything far more public as well as hides your post behind a wall, even if it’s an easy to bypass wall.

If a post is truly bad a moderator could delete the post and tell the user why. The flag system makes every thing feel a bit… performative? If that’s the right word.

However… despite writing two paragraphs on this, I really don’t care. Seems like most flagged posts are obvious as to why they are flagged, doesn’t seem like it gets abused too often so I guess it works.

1 Like

I think they are an “easy “ way for the passive portion of the ”audience” who rarely post to show appreciation for people who do bother to do so. A lot of people (I imagine)… log in read a bit and leave umless they’ve got something worthwhile/interesting to add to the conversation. If each person who “liked” a post wrote a short post to say “thanks a lot, didn’t know that” (or similar) we’d all be wading through a lot more inanity. I do think a “like” on a forum post is a different entity to the same on social media generally.
I read elektronauts most days. Rarely post.

13 Likes

Just to piggy-back on this… on other forums, there isn’t an option to like something and it requires multiple posts where people will say thank you, or post to add “+1” to show they also agree.

And yes, it’s a ton more posts to wade through.

8 Likes

Cats and dogs post should be allowed to heart twice!!!

8 Likes

Wow, you’re so cool!

mods should handle inappropriate content, not self appointed morality police.

eh?! Do you think mods should read every single post on the site, to check for inappropriate content?

The whole point of flagging is to flag a post for moderator attention, so they can check it. The clue is in the name. Mods do handle it, but somebody has to bring it to their attention first

Anyway, isn’t this whole thread just a rerun of Flagging request to make flaggers transparent ?

Edit: tempted to flag it asking for the threads to be merged :tongue:

4 Likes

huge over reaction but ok i hear you.

I’ve had the opposite happen (kind of) … flagged (and hidden) post accumulated a lot of likes.

EDIT: oops, I replied to a flagged post, I guess I need to flag myself before anyone else does.

I’ve found that muting users has been a nicer way to filter out content I don’t want to see rather than flagging. It hides the content for me, but not for other users so a win/win if it’s just me that’s somewhat annoyed by something that really isn’t a big deal.

I do wish we could remove the like button though. It’s a useless social stat that, imo, kinda creates hostile situations at times as it can seem like ones opinion is less valued than someone else’s. But maybe it’s just me that views it as a ‘social currency’ button.

2 Likes

I enjoyed liking your post though :wink:

It does have down sides but the upsides are more valuable imho. Mostly it’s a way of saying thanks, or “I enjoyed that post” rather than a “ that person is right”.

11 Likes

Thanks, it made me feel good! :handshake:

2 Likes

Unless there’s cats, then like away!

2 Likes

Huge irony about this thread is that Electronic music is supposed to be emotionless. Yet this flagging nonsense is all about peoples feelings…

1 Like

Just another casual Sunday on Elektronauts LOL

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s possible for music to be emotionless, by definition it needs to be expressive, it’d be impossible to be emotionless.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Here in Sweden ”Heart votes” are used in the national eurovision ”musical” competition. Nicely sorted in age grouped votes (and colours).

Even though Sweden host the Eurovision, again, I don’t know if they bring it on to the international voting.

Flagging is done in accordance with Regulation 1982:270 or personal celebrations.

That said i really enjoy this place, and use it as inspiration an GAS accelerator :slight_smile:

Exactly, a confusingly used flag occurring is not the end of the world here, better to move on with someone’s life than engage in whatever negative feedback loop of grievance and fragility.

If it keeps happening with regularity, it’s probably more about communication and rhetoric.

There are reasons to be cynical about certain “web2” additions, upvotes/downvotes are not directly analogous to likes and reports.

Viewing people appreciating a post as hierarchal/transactional behavior where there are winners and losers can’t be healthy to engaging with online communities.

Hearts are good. They’re good for when you need to acknowledge a reply or something, but adding an extra post to do so would be clutter.

Ignoring users is occasionally tempting, but I like some of you in some threads, but you rub me the wrong way in others. I don’t want to miss the positive contributions.

I think heavier moderation (self moderation included) of specific gear threads (vs general discussion threads) is really valuable. There’s nothing worse than trying to research a piece of gear or an issue with something through reading a forum thread and finding the majority is off topic.

This place really strikes a fantastic balance between a discussion forum and a library of knowledge. I feel like people worrying about getting flagged are more in the chat/discussion space rather than the library building headspace. I love posting corny jokes but I manage to resist about 75% of the time because it’s ultimately not useful.

Whoever called out the breadth of knowledge in this community above is spot on. An incredible brains trust on here and I’m glad that most questions and non-music related topics get helpful answers.

15 Likes

The silliest thing about drama about “what you can’t say” in these complaints is that it’s never about interesting stuff, technical help or creativity.

It’s always stuff we can encounter anywhere else on the internet.

11 Likes