Is Elektron giving up the keyboard market?

I think we forget that Elektron is a niche within a niche, you can fit 3 classic style Elektron boxes in the space of an AK. That and I don’t think many people who just want an analogue poly to sit at and play are likely to want to put up with the workflow.

1 Like

Picked up an A4mk2 which I love but I think I’m going to keep my keys as well. There’s something about it’s form that I find really tactile… It’s just a pleasure to work with.

5 Likes

I just ordered one before they disappear completely.

2 Likes

When they did last call on the monomachine and md I jumped on the md and hesitated on the mm. Now I am creeping around for a MM. go figure right?

4 Likes

We really don’t know at this point, yeah I could see them dropping the production of keyboard synths, or I could see them removing the sequencer and adding more knobs. Cenk seems to be emphasizing more immediate hands on control these days and I think they’ll start moving towards getting complex possibilities from fewer variables with their gear. I hope this is the current direction and I’m not knocking their stuff nor am i am I hiding my bias very well lol. More playing less theorizing and thinking. Id love a digital analog hybrid from them and their synths have a great sound thats enticing to keyboard players. So yeah I could see them continuing to kill it with amazing boxes and also build synths with more of an emphasis on knobs. Just guessing though

1 Like

I’m curious how it’s a world of difference. Because you don’t like how a midi controller looks plugged into a synth? Or, is there something about playability I’m missing?

@Kingtiers I think that the AK does have slightly better integration not achieved with a midi controller, I like how the lights above the keys light up and show what keys are set on a step, and I like how it shows all the way up the keyboard when the arp plays. It might not be so beneficial for real pianists but if helps me quickly see what’s going on, can help jamming a lot

5 Likes

Hmm… analog keys did feel quite nice the chance I had to play one but I personally think they shouldn’t make any traditional keyboard synths at this point. If the next synth they make drops the sequencer and has a buchla thunder midi controller type thing going on I would instantly be selling random things I own in order to get it. I think trigger buttons pads and possibly touch pads make more sense… Part of my love of elektron is a bit of nontraditional mixed in there. I guess if they make a new keys unit I wouldn’t be surprised but I wouldn’t be excite that it had keys. Digitakts chromatic mode lays out mostly like a keyboard with an off set to it, for what ever reason I find writing music like that is much more inspiring than on the midi keys I have right next to it… I guess in all likely hood I am a fringe case for this type of thing though :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Don’t know. It’s just a feeling, when I sit down and play. It’s like my hands constantly move between two states when it’s a keyboard plugged in vs an integrated one, where they sort of stay in the zone all the time.

These things are usually in one’s head and it’s just a perceived reality. I’m sure I could get around to an attached keyboard, if I wanted to.

Which I don’t, though😊

5 Likes

I’ll tell you one thing, though - working with the A4MKII makes me long for a keyboard version more than I don’t now. To have this, in a keyboard, oh dear.

also, assigning modulation macros to the joystick is immense fun. The joy people are getting from multidimensional external controllers like Expressive Touche - AK users have had that for years.

3 Likes

Lets dream a little bit : Elektron is simply working hard to design a new AK mkII which provide a 1 knob per function interface. That’s why it will appear later on the market :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Man, I like how you dream.

1 Like

I really do not think, they drop the keys…
a) they updated to MKII in the sequence they relased the MK I-Version (octa, a4, AR)… so next should be AK
b) as stated its nearly sold out… that means AK is a success gear
c) NAMM is knocking on our doors… and its their anniversary year…

i could imagine they will built a AK with more connectivity… by all the comments on how people loved this polysynth and by the fact, that they already have the OS ready, i doubt they dont continue the AK…

The AK obviously didn’t do that well. I also noticed that it was harder for me to sell it than the RYTM.
The mkII needs:
-) Better, more robust design, no exposed keys.
-) More direct controls and readable display. My old Roland D-50 has a similar display but I can read it, it has the right contrast angle. Not so the AK.
-) At least 6 voices to compete with DSI
-) Industry standard midi connectivity obviously, not this crippled sequencer bullshit

3 Likes

No, it doesn’t. It simply means they sold almost as many as they made. They have to ask themselves how many units they can sell to people that wouldn’t get the A4 MK2 if there wasn’t an Analog Keys (MK2) and if they’re able to cover the additional R&D, manufacturing, support, stocking and other costs. Now that A4 MK2 got the individual outs, there’s one reason less to get an AK MK2. To add on top of that, quite a few second hand units are on the market. I don’t expect an AK MK2 to be honest. In my opinion, it doesn’t make sense from a business point of view.

3 Likes

I own both A4 MK1 and an AK and now a Digitakt. I am primarily a keys player and what was sorely missing on a performance flagship keyboard and controller such as the AK, is: Footswitch and Expression Pedal inputs, and that LCD simply made at an angle rather than flat. Done.
I have no intention of purchasing the MK2 box just to get those inputs for switch/pedals, and to be frank, I do not like the new design. Those pedal inputs missing on a flagship performance keyboard controller was a huge clue that not too many people at Elektron even play keys or they would have known from beginning those pedal/expression inputs were important for…performance. The fact they have now added them to the MK2 A4 box shows a certain arrogance in not really fully researching what keyboard players regularly have used going back to the 70’s.
One last thing: I did purchase “Underhub” and installed it on AK to protect those exposed key design. I use three, three-tiered keyboard synth stacks in my set-up and the AK is pretty much delegated to lay flat because ergonomically it’s a pain in the ass to view, and even lay properly and safely on a higher tier.
Even with my misgivings, I absolutely love the AK and use my A4 box as mainly a great percussive machine…I like it’s sound-sculpting and sound much better than the Rhythm.

4 Likes

this

How are the midi connections not standard?

2 Likes

I love most Elektron gear but Access Virus TI takes the crown for synthesizer keyboard even though it is super expensive. The A4K is a great keyboard synth and I would pick one up used if a good deal came up just as a used Elektron and used Rytm will be great buys.

1 Like