Is an Analog Heat necessary or work w/ what I have?

Nice thread and good to see how the filter and wet/dry mixing can tame the more extreme sat/dist, that makes it extremely flexible. I definitely have the AH on my wish list, just haven’t pull the trigger yet. :smiley:

I will say this statement is probably a good idea - get to know your gear, then you’ll see what to add next. That being said… I bought an analog heat recently, and now that I’ve had a chance to play with it - holy crap, it can be like a drug. I started with subtle settings, on the master, as others mentioned. After some tweaking, it added some tone & character in a very pleasing way. Last week, in putting something together for the distortion mission brief, I really cut loose with the nastier side of AH, and wowow, it really goes gritty/crunchy/nasty in ways that are just so enjoyable. Like, I’m gonna call in sick and twist knobs all day enjoyable. I’m sure it could be dependent on genre of course, but I don’t regret buying the AH.

I believe the Analog Drive uses the same distortion circuits (just in mono, and without a lot of the extra features of AH). (edit analog drive dist. circuits aren’t exactly the same as on the heat. Similar, and still really nice end edit). If mono works for you, it’s almost a no-brainer now that the price has come down. I don’t have an OT, but I think you can route audio in a send/return to the Drive. That might be worth a look. I think the OTO BOUM would have done what I wanted when I got the AH, but it wasn’t available yet, and still doesn’t appear to be.

This turned into a longer post than I expected, but I guess that’s because I recently fell in love with analog heat. FWIW, I’ve mostly used it with my Digitakt, but I have run mixes with DT+monosynths through it as well.

1 Like