IPad Pro (2018) based production environment

Let’s assume for a minute someone close to me gave me a top of the line IPad Pro 512GB as a gift. Any recommendation on what combination of hardware / software to use as a music production environment (I’m thinking soft synths, FX, external Midi keyboard, possibly a hardware audio source, such as an OT). Can anyone here describe a proven setup that works and does this without issues?

2 Likes

well, I am using my iPad in combination with octatrack
midi is connected through camera connection kit, and audio is sent from ipad headphones jack.
so I can sequence ipad apps with octatrack, and send cc mesages in both directions, to rytm or A4.

the better solution would be with one of iConnectivity devices:

there are lots of synth apps, with my favorites in the list below:
Zeon, Korg iMonoPoly, Moog Model 15, DRC, Impaktor, Sunrizer, Magellan,
and recently discovered candy FM Synth Aparillo

the only challenge with ipad setup is touchscreen, sometimes it is difficult to change the values, when you are jamming
so I would recommend some midi controller for tactile feeling.
at the time I was using arturia beatstep, and when programmed, it worked great, also novation keyboards work great with this setup.

hope this helps

4 Likes

Got to say, I’m incredibly interested in jumping been into iPad music production with the new pros.

Didn’t quite get on with it all with my iPad Air but wondering what’s changed over the past 3-4 years (other than raw power). Audiobus, for example, was a little flakey. And file management too was a bit of a pain.

Will keep an eye on this thread…

Still a pita but everything else is pretty solid.

2 Likes

I wish you hadn’t said that. I’m trying to keep my GAS under control here! haha

AUM and Auv3 has changed Ipad workflow a lot imo

5 Likes

I still use a mini 4 and it’s basically sample fodder and a kind of multiFX for processing external signals. As a legit synth, I am not comfortable with it. However my opinion is that with the new models, that is absolutely feasible.

I would only advise people keep in mind that whatever investment they make into the Apple ecosystem, it’s there forever and always, nowhere else.

Yup.

I’m using Digitakt with iPad pro 10.5inch. And you can midi map 8 encoders to change values on software. Great for jamming :smile: Most of the time I’m running 3 synths (with AUM) on iPad and all of them can have different midi maping.

Have a peep through here: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/ipad-music-apps/

3 Likes

Can u explain a little how you do that( multifx for processing external signals)? thanks!

IMO this development has made iOS viable as a platform because it has enhanced stability. I’ve been amazed at how stable Cubasis has been for me lately. In addition, it replicates a paradigm that we are all used to from the desktop (whether you like that paradigm is a separate issue).

In any case, a few pieces of advice to @Hans_Olo:

• GO SLOW. Stick to a few core apps.
  • Don’t jump on every single new fangled synth that drops, no matter how amaze it looks.
  • Stick to the developers with good track records for stable apps and updates/fixes.
  • research the apps you’re interested in as much as you can.
  • get AudioShare immediately. :smile: it will be your file manager.
3 Likes

Which iPad is it - USB-C or Lightening?

It’s the latest IPad Pro (2018) introduced a few weeks ago.

I have a zoom U24 to send things in and out of the iPad. Lovely thing. In AUM I setup various FXable apps to receive the incoming signal then route it around however I want. Then send it out. This setup usually hangs out on my OT - cue outs to pad, pad to AB/CD.

I just recently got apeMatrix for which I have high hopes but I’ve yet to get my head around it.

2 Likes

yeah it‘s great. still my favorite apps are all inter app audio only.
elastic drums, patterning, samplr, animoog and fugue machine.
but there a lots of cool auv3 too. the bram bos stuff is very useful

1 Like

Wow! Very nice.

You should do some reading about the dongles/connectors you’ll be dealing with as I’m using a lightening iPad so I’ve no clue about USB-C. You’ll probably need a hub of some sort, with charging depending on how long your sessions will be. I think CDM had a short piece on the possibilities.

If you have a soundcard, you may be able to use that - ditto a MIDI keyboard. I’ve rarely had any problems with the iPad accepting a device as along as the power draw isn’t bad or it’s battery powered. The Zoom interfaces have been great from that perspective. What are you trying to do/record?

Just in general, using touch is certainly not a satisfying as hardware (at least IMO). But it’s amazing to be able to work on track wherever I want when I have a few minutes (I have a 2.5 year old and a 4.5 month old). And the pricing on the apps can’t be beat.

send and return happens in the same cable? just one out minijack on iPad, isn’t it?

I’ve forced myself to use nothing but AUs, and to focus on only a few synths/samplers. As a result I’ve “lost” access to a lot of great apps, including some of the ones you mention, but I’ve gained stability. The trade has been worth it, at least for me.

1 Like

Thanks! U24 looks good and quite affordable, too. Plus it has Midi in/out. The only drawback seems to be that it doesn’t charge the IPad, but it looks like there’s no such beast at the moment.