iPad Music Apps?

Would AUM Mixer still be necessary if I got Modstep? or are they presenting two different approaches to composing? It seems Modstep is more composed and AUM mixer would be more of a jam session?

The ā€œBlack Fridayā€ sale. You were shopping around then, no? There was also a sale on it a bit ago. I think I got it then.

I don1t know anything about Modstep except that it was plagued by bugs when it was introduced and since then have not paid attention to it. So I canā€™t comment on if or how it mixes. I will if people can confirm itā€™s healed now.

I canā€™t speak on the full details on AUM mixer yet as I havenā€™t gotten around to all itā€™s capabilities aside from mixing duties. It seems however that you can control an app with a midi keyboard but as far as recording a sequence, idk. You can also playback files (loops) in it. Sorry canā€™t be more of a help there. Report what you find, though!

1 Like

Yeah, sorry canā€™t help either. I only use Auria Pro now, havenā€™t touched modstep nor cubase for a while. Havenā€™t bought/used AUM so no idea.

AUM is not a sequencer or a DAW. It is really just a mixer and it can turn your iPad into an amazing sound module. You can layer up different synths and complex effect routings. You can have aux sends. You can assign different Midi channels or Midi devices to different apps. Thereā€™s probably other apps that do that too (Audiobus?) but AUM makes it super fast and easy.

2 Likes

I assume it has state saving too? as in, you can save and recall config snapshots, and upon recall all relevant synths are instantiated and their presets loaded?

Absolutely. You can save and recall everything.

Edit: I donā€™t think the parameters of IAA synths are automatically recalled in AUM. It doesnā€™t look like it. I donā€™t think those parameters are available to a host app. But AUM also handles iOS Audio Units and here I think the parameters can be adressed by the host. Thereā€™s not so many synths and effects in that format yet though. But I am sure we will see more and more.

Fugue machine is nice for those who know the theory and how to use it. A lot of electronic music producer use that technique.

1 Like

Would any of these apps be able to run multiple instances of Borderlands Granular? I love what Iā€™m coming up with in this app, but I would like to have different stems to work with for composition.

you canā€™t run multiple instance of an app i guess without many ipadā€¦ somebody will confirm that because iā€™m not an expert. I do not sure if multiple row in Audiobus or AUM can do that. donā€™t think so.

I just tried Borderlands with AUM. No go. I assume itā€™s a hardware limitation, as William said.

EDIT: William beat me to loops :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But you can scan in at least 4 wave files well chosen in borderlands ā€¦ on an iPad pro which is more bigger you can probably have space for 6 or 8 sample granular scanning and tweakingā€¦ but i think thereā€™s only one pairs of outputā€¦ then

Edit : yes i guess ā€¦ one app can running at a time on iPad you canā€™t run multiple instance of ableton on a computer thatā€™s the same. an app is not a VST

3 Likes

The love Iā€™m having for this new found iPad workflow is really making me itch to go for an iPad Pro for a 2 iPad workflow. However I need to save for a macbook. A solid ITB travel studio sounds ideal af

Iā€™ve got Patterning, would it greatly benefit to get Elastic Drums as well?

Iā€™m not too found of Elastic Drumsā€¦ Patterning is sample based. Elastic Drums is synthesis i guessā€¦ I had prefer to rely on Waldorf Attack for Drum Synthesis on iPad BUT :
Other apps to take consideration in the drums territory is :

1. Impaktor (i really like it)
  2. MoDrum (nice but limited)
  3. iSpark (nice also)
  4. DM1 (good kits of sample)
  5. Boom808 EGDR909 (not really but i mention it)

I think Impaktor and Waldorf Attack cover the most

3 Likes

Will investigate! Thank you!

You can get a sample upgrade now.

1 Like

Thatā€™s my iPad content for Now. Mine is oriented essentially on Effects because i used it with my iConnect as an effect bus send/return. Also i have few app to experiment on the road on arpeggio with dedicated sequencer and few synth/sampler app i consider as well design for experimentation

2 Likes

Oh man! Iā€™ve just started diving into the Fieldscaper/Soundscaper apps. VERY DEEP! My experimental heart from 9 years ago is in love!

Thanks for sharing those apps! Iā€™ll look into it(after I find my way through the scraper apps!)

1 Like

Thatā€™s iConnect Audio, right? OH SNAP THEREā€™S A 2 NOW? Damn. Will have to think about thatā€¦

iConnect Audio4+ yes but i use it as a HUB for take my OT audio master and Cue as STUDIO mode. But you can use the only the Midi Interface (iConnectMIDI 2+ or 4+) from iConnect because she pass audio through USB in both direction

1 Like