iPad Music Apps?

Switch?

I bought gadget and never use it. The gadgets are excellent but I donā€™t like sequencer

1 Like

Yeh, the sequencer could be better. Iā€™d like an easy ā€œdouble clip lenghtā€ function and longer than 16 bars (how about 999 bars max). And copypasting events could work better as well.

1 Like

You can record performances over multiple clips. Also spread imported audio across them. You probably already know this, but just in case

Disclaimer : I still have to look up how to both things every time because I didnā€™t use it that much either / sequencer is uninviting to me. Good to use gadgets as sound modules from my OT though

I donā€™t know why but it just felt lacking as a sequencer and for inserting effects to channels, mixing, sequencing a song etc. It sort of reminded me of using music 2000 on my playstation or something, can see how it would work great on the switch.

Iā€™m not knocking it btw, just saying that I prefer bm3, cubase, using sequencers in aum and now nanostudio 2.

Again though I do like their modules, great selection

yes, but recording over multiple clips goes agaisnt the original clip paradigm IMO ( the idea of clips as complete looping pattns that can then be rearranged on the fly with the matrix ). It creates more headaches than it solves when going forward with the arrngement.

As much as I like Gadget for getting rough ideas down etc, it is clear that indepth arranging and mixing is its biggest weakness. Still waiting for fx slot gadgets myself to at least make decent mixes more doableā€¦ Or a 1-click export to Auria Pro, even that would be a big help!

3 Likes

yeah, and letā€™s also mention that you canā€™t create polyrhythms of any kindā€¦ all instruments have the same bar length (although they can be different multiples of it)

I havenā€™t used Gadget in a long time now, but itā€™s one of the most fun apps in iPad IMHOā€¦ although not without limitations. The standard gadgets sound mostly toy-ish, not very in depth. I only purchased Bilbao but loading one sample at a time (canā€™t remember if that changed) was so painful that I barely used it.

I will probably purchase that midi out IAP, since I would love to sequence good AU synths (DRC, Mood, Zeeon) ā€¦ I wonder how much will the workflow hurt from switching between apps, but it might be nice to sketch something quickly using standard gadgets, then exchanging them to MIDI OUT modules going into better appsā€¦

Ninetedo switch has gadget as well apparently!

1 Like

I never use most of the gadgets myself. I tend to only use

• Odyssei
  • Wavestation
  • M1
  • Monopoly
  • Montreal
  • Bilbao

with a few oneshots from recife and london here and there.

Any suggestions on a simple one shot sampler? I use an Octatrack in live situations but am thinking about adding a small 16 pad controller with my ipad for dedicated one shots to sort of make my live sets a little more performative. Iā€™d be prepping all the sounds on my computer so I donā€™t need anything overly robust. Being able to save kits would be awesome so I could have the OT send a program change at the start of each track to change to the correct bank of one shots.

Have a look at iMPC Pro 2 ā€¦ or Beatmaker ā€¦

NS2 has got really nice workflow and meaningful UI with some cool editing features. Obsidian synth is absolutely brilliant and very powerful synth with low CPU use (considering itā€™s power) so you can ran many instances. Comes with many good presets but itā€™s also sound designers wet dream (big modulations list, very flexible oscillator and filter section, ā€¦). Audio FX are good and get the job done but not sonically spectacular. Slat sampler is also quite powerful with own 4 buses FX system and more.

Iā€™m only missing audio tracks which are supposed to be added in future version, this will make it complete for me.

In general, I like it the most out of BM3 and Gadget, sound- and workflow-wise.

Just saw this video and didnā€™t realise this feature existed. Never really considered using patterning as a melodic sequencer, this definitely makes it easier

1 Like

Korg Gadget 2 is out and a free update on iOS!

Note that Gadget 2 projects are not compatible with the old versionā€¦ Guessing this includes the desktop versions of the app as well. Bit of a bummer, I will need to upgrade my desktop license soon.

Also sad to resport that the max bar limit of 16 still applies even in version 2 :sob:

Hereā€™s a screenshot of the new FX

Hereā€™s Taipei

MIDI CC LFOs ftw!

A bit of a letdown. No major improvements in workflow that I can see.

Iā€™ll take what I can get. Just bought iMS-20 and iPolysix to add to my gadgets. The iMS-20 oughta be interesting as it has an audio input! Hoping it will be available also in the Gadget versionā€¦ And indeed its there!

This might just be my favourite gadget yet :diddly:

Was hoping for subfolders to work in user samples location for Bilbao but doesnā€™t look like it. Instead everything Iā€™ve recorded in rasario and Zurich is in there cluttering it up further

Otherwise, the midi thing Taipei looks like a great addition. Not sure how the Volca Sample preset is going to work as the gadget looks to be restricted to one output channel per instance

The new colour is a pt least a change of scene but not a fan of the gradient background. I like the gadgets/tracks having separate colours loosely based on their appearance

Has anyone managed to get MIDI loopback happening with Taipei? Iā€™m hoping this would be possible. It appears to be possible at least in theory, but I cannot get the gadgets to receive MIDI dataā€¦ Was hoping to be able to use the CC LFOs with other gadgets.

This dropped today: Koala Sampler by Marek Bereza

It is geared towards use on a phone (no landscape as of yet), but it is SUPER fun and the interface is excellent. Sample import is on the way, but thatā€™s not really the point. You can also read about what inpired the developer to create the app.

11 Likes

Thanks for posting about koala. Super fun and SUPER easy. Canā€™t understand why something this easy hadnā€™t been made before 2019! Having a blast with it.

3 Likes