iPad Music Apps?

THAT’S what I’m talking about. I’ve been so entranced by Strom’s sending samples to AR wirelessly, it’s a shame getting samples into OT has been such a hassle. This is brilliant. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

When you say the USB cable connection has to be a “specific one” you mean like a specific cable?

No, I mean that the USB cable connection to the Kingston box needs to be made in the right order for the Kingston to recognize the OT USB disk mode. IIRC you had to first select the USB disk mode on the OT, and only then connect the USB cable (or the other way around?)

1 Like

Ah gotcha! That’s still excellent! Strom’s wireless transfer to RYTM is pretty spectacular, but RYTMs lack of time-matching for that makes it a little bit of work, that’s going to be fantastic to play around with. Thanks for sharing this beauty of a trick!

1 Like

Another question. Does the iMidiRig 2 support sysex data? Just for sending samples to my MD. It’s my understanding that the Kenmore midi/usb host doesn’t support this…

Patterning can be connected to the rytm via USB. Set up your kit, dial in a pattern and hit record.

Likewise, fugue machine is great for dialing in patterns and saving them to the rytm.

2 Likes

Anybody on here doing any real avant garde stuff and know if it’s possible to send modstep controls to Fieldscaper/Soundscaper?

1 Like

I’m interested in this combination… what do you feed into borderlands? the octa itself? or something else?

I usually create a bunch of loops using Korg Gadget and some clips of random Youtube videos. I then play it using Borderlands and then sample into OT. I then slice it in OT and mangle it within OT.

There are many happy accidents waiting to happen using iPad/OT this way.

3 Likes

heh, nice.
anything to listen in the web?

Not exactly that combo but I do have couple of Youtube videos of using an iPad and A4 on my youtube channel. I plan to do more, including the borderland/OT combo, during the Xmas break.

Here is the A4/iPad app video.

1 Like

I could write a thesis on Sector, but I won’t!
Sector basically chops up audio into segments, between 2 and 32. Obviously this is suited to prepared loops of the rhythmic or melodic variety although any sound can be chucked in for experimentation. The other night I just rubbed the mic monitored through Svep (chorus) and recorded into Audioshare where I picked a nice semi rhythmic loop section and then dropped it into Sector. From then on I spent about 2 hours making all sorts of chopped glitchy beats and sequences.
I use Sector mainly for making breaks and glitchy loops but have also enjoyed really broken bass loops that sound really well produced. Even just noise yields amazing sounds that are rhythmic and futuristic sounding.
Sector is probability based so although you can sequence straight you can also let the app flip a coin as to what plays when and where and you have total control of this if you want.
For example take the 2 bar amen break, open it in Sector, 32 slices. Then maybe set an 8 step sequence with the kick on step 1 and snare on 5 with nothing else. Then set all segments to attach to all segments so that the steps in between will jump randomly to any segment the next step, all pinned together by the kick snare constant- instant breakcore dnb and hip hop. Then the fx next, which dictate how a segment will sound so flams, stutters, reversal, scratches or pitch drops are easily implemented, amongst many other time based playback tricks. These fx are visually represented by lfo/osc shapes and very easy to understand, learning them is key to pro use but is fun and very straightforward.
Sector is similar to slapping a random lfo to slice number on the OT with added probability control.
I chopped up a Gretsch kit and set everything to random so it spat out a great free form jazz solo, complete with flams, roll backs and stutters.
Sector obviously works a treat on 4/4 material but I’m a little bored by that so usually create breaks and more glitchy type stuff.
I have an idrive so drag loops from my laptop onto the USB stick and open the file up in Sector directly from there. I have dumped a few choice folders in there so have been making some really glitched up acid and drill’n bass lately.
I’ve also recorded some modular stuff into the iPad via irig duo pro and then made Tekno and droney type stuff.

Also note that Sector can record your tracks as you perform them or have programmed them and will loop them perfectly. Great to chop up again or drop into a linear audio editor/daw. I tend to make stuff that is only 64 bars long (like the limitation) so will spend some time making interesting sequences, fx and segment attachments and perform it live for 64 bars to further work on in an editor or to layer with more Sector loops or add pads and bass or what have you.

Sector can also be fully midi controlled so you can externally sequence an entire performance or trigger 4 segments of your choice, I’ve not used it myself but I’d imagine it’s pretty good fun!

I’ve used Sector for a great many hours so have found myself dropping sample chains into it lately. Using OT methods is best way to think of it. You could have 16 drum sounds and 16 other sounds, notes, fx, snippets whatever and then easily sequence it with appropriate randomisation to get interesting loops and breaks. This is obviously extremely basic, I tend to use quarter bar clips of 8 different loops that I’ve prepared in various places to make really amazing and interesting breakcore shit, odder audio architecture type sound design and the best old school drum and bass breaks I’ve ever made, and the easiest too!

My head is a bit fooked today so my explanation is probably pish but if you are interested in making beats you really owe it to yourself to try it out.

7 Likes

Thank you, sir! I think you’ve sold me on it!

1 Like

It is money well spent!
I forgot to mention it is great to stick loops chopped out of full tracks into Sector, all the layers sound great disjointed and fractured, with tails and bleed, ghost notes and wide stereo stutters and ratchets…

Oh man I love Sector so much!

1 Like

I’m loving so much this iPad workflow. I’m really kicking myself for having waited so long to get one! Once I get that Kingston mobilelite 3G there’s going to be a breath of life blown into my OT!!!

2 Likes

I just purchased it! Should arrive by friday! I’m so excited! Thank you!

I’ll have to start playing with Sector again. Like a lot of apps, I seem to get myself stuck in a rut - get one good pattern going, get fearful I’ll never create it again, stop putting good things into it, then I get bored with it. But on an album I made late 2015/early 2016, one of my favorite tracks used Sector for the drums and Fugue Machine sequencing a Waldorf Streichfett and a small modular setup with the Make Noise Telharmonic. All in one pass. I was starting to get comfortable with linking and syncing a few iPad apps together to do external hardware but have hardly touched that setup since the Elektrons came into my life.

Another one I had fun with and should revisit again is StepPolyArp. I had fun jamming with it one day through the TE Oplab, switching MIDI channels between a few small desktop synths with a Volca Beats sync’d to the clock for rhythm. I’ll have to find and upload that jam.

Xynthesizer is another one I’ve used in a similar vein - spread the midi output channels out across its four color zones and sequence whatever I can attach to the Oplab. I need to plug this into the Monomachine.

Heh. A couple of weeks ago I was thinking of getting the Korg PlugKey to easily treat the iPad like a sound module for running synths like Odyssei and iM1 and Thor via the Machinedrum or Monomachine sequencer. Now I’m back to wanting to use iPad sequencer apps to sequence my Elektrons.

1 Like

I’m guessing the best app for combining the music made from all the app simultaniouosly(like in an Elektron kinda way, sorta, not really) would be that AUM mixer?

3 Likes

I got that over the holiday sale. They did a fine job; all your basic routing needs and then some. Really helps you get control of the iPad for music.

1 Like

There was a holiday sale that I missed?! Shoot!