iPad Music Apps?

I’m doing exactly the same thing.

busted out model 15 last night for the first time in a long time. Amazing app. Stumbled across this tip on the internet

moebius lab and m15 can be joined together via the audiobridge, essentially adding the modules together into a single system.

Haven’t tried it yet but sounds fun

2 Likes

+1 on this thread. I guess this was one of the most expensive reads for me on this forum… Waiting now for the credit card bill :sweat_smile:

1 Like

how do you find model 15 app any playable? this is very exciting app at a glance but so clunky and frustrating once you’re trying to dive deep into patching and stuff

I found it pretty well set up, you don’t have to drag the patch points one to the other, you can just tap one point so the jack pops out slightly then just tap an input and they’ll link. Use two fingers to move around the synth. What are you finding clunky about it?

1 Like

ah good point, thank you, i was dragging the patch-cables :man_facepalming:
i also use ipad mini so that may be the case as well, although they’ve got even iphone app!

Glad to help! Yeah I use it on a big iPad Pro, bigger the better really. I don’t think using it in the iPhone would be ideal but it’s still nuts something like this can fit in your pocket now. Love it

1 Like

Even with the tap method mentioned by @jb I find it kind of painful to navigate. I hear recordings I made with it and they sound nice, but then I remember all that scrolling and patching and don’t bother to open the app.

Be good if the different modules could be distinctly coloured like the Grandmother, but for me it all looks so samey…

Moog should release a grandmother-style skin for it. I actually use the novelty Monopoly skin on the Korg mono/poly app when on a phone because it feels easier than the original you have a small screen

Getting a bit tired of all the heavily rendered ‘look like a synth’ UIs on apps. I like ones like DRC with the uncluttered layout. I know it would cost a lot of design time but I’d love to flick a switch on Gadget and just go minimal across all the gadgets

4 Likes

totally agree with you on ‘look like synth’ UI. touch interface should lead to very different interaction rather than imitations/workarounds. samplr is a great example of this approach. there’s another modular synth app called ops with very beneficial touch UI

2 Likes

Yeah I get what you mean, to be fair I wouldn’t strike it off as never gonna happen, I reckon the blank module holes at the bottom suggest they’ll update it at some point. I’d love to be able to add my own faceplates but I doubt it’d ever be that open. Wonder if someone who knows about app development would be able to switch the files out

1 Like

I really Model 15 app and personally find it fine to work with. My biggest gripe is with the manual, they should have a picture of the module they are describing

1 Like

Spot on! Vst plug ins with a reel of ‘tape’ spinning, ‘tubes’ glowing, etc, are so dumb to me. Most synth apps try so hard to look like a ‘real’ synth with tiny knobs that are a total crap shoot to use with any accuracy is just maddening to me at this point. Total waste of resources as well. Some developers do actual UI’s that are usable, but most don’t. I like Samplr and Tardigrain quite a bit. Patterning has pretty good functionality as well

Yeah it’s called skeuomorphism and Very Bad ™

I think early software used it to help people transition to computers but it shoulda died in the 90s imo.

2 Likes

My preferred way of patching modules on Model 15 as well. I also prefer to use the right-side scrollbar to navigate instead of the double-finger drag method. The only thing I struggle with is changing the color of the patch cables - just can’t figure out the right combination of gestures and such to make it work consistently.

I’m actually not a fan of of skewmorphism and prefer the Sunvox UI, but the IOS modular synthesis course I’ve been taking focuses on Model 15 and Ripplemaker, so I was kind of compelled to dig in, more than I would have otherwise.

1 Like

Anyone taken the plunge on NanoStudio 2? Really tempted but don’t want to end up chucking $30 after an app I don’t end up using.

Looks amazing for working with MIDI (which is how I like to (piano) roll).

Ugh. Sorry for that last bit. :smiley:

4 Likes

Gadget 2 is coming.
I’m still tempted to buy this. But I already bought so many apps I don’t use… Cubasis and Beatmaker amongst them.
But so many people seem to love gadget

4 Likes

Surely there must be more that’s new than just the addition of six new IAPs? If not, it’s very strange that they would attach a new version number to it…

:woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Ooh yeah! Taipei will bring ext MIDI sequencing to Gadget!

I will be upgrading for sure.

I do wish they’d get rid of the ridiculous 16 bar clip lenght limit though. Lets hope…

3 Likes

Awesome pun! :rofl:

That reminds me, I need to get this on Switch