iPad Music Apps?

A game changer is coming.
Look that amazing modular AUv3

:fist::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::muscle:

I’ve always been on the fence about iPads (I’m an Android/Windows guy) but with the iPad (not pro) on sale for $250-$350, it seems like a no brainer for sound-design on the go. With apps like Samplr and Borderlands, how would I go about exporting or recording the sounds that I’ve made, though? I know I could record them into my DAW with a CCK and soundcard, but is there an easy way to record and export stuff to Google Drive?

You can record and export via AudioBus

3 Likes

Dope. It seems like AUM does the same thing after a bit of research. That’s perfect. Now I have to convince my wife to let me spend the money on an iPad after just buying a DN.

AUM will put your recordings into AudioShare, which is the best audio file manager on iOS. It provides easy access to Dropbox, but not sure about Google Drive. I’ve never tried.

Both AUM and AudioShare are essential if you’re even thinking about getting into iOS audio stuff.

4 Likes

Looks like its going to be a fun groovebox

1 Like

That’s how you miss out if you’re to busy buying apps instead of properly learning them. I never used automation, I never used multiple realtime recordings and layering. Now I saw this video for the first time.
Holy cow, this app is even a million times better than I thought for over a year

6 Likes

I’ve never understood sector, I try but give up.
But would recommend learning how to route things in aum , it’s very flexible.

2 Likes

Yeah, Sector just put me in a bad mood :slight_smile:

Still the best granular app. Others have specific strengths over it. But all around best. I just hope version 2 has midi. I swore off apps but that’ll be a buy.

My moment was watching a new video for version 2. As opposed to peppered red dots, there were thick red bars. Narrow the x/y to a slit and increase the number of grains…

“Ooooohhhhhh”

Edit:

4 Likes

45 posts were split to a new topic: iPad purchase considerations?

Agree 100%

I hope version 2 is available for iPhone as well. That would be SIGNIFICANTLY more convenient

1 Like

I’ve been poking around in the Syntorial app the past few days. Solid tutorial.

(I bought the full version during last years Christmas sale- whatever that means for Holliday Sale GAS)

is it realistic to use a new iPad as a multi channel fx processor, for example if I was to run my DT and DN into an iOS compatible interface, and process the two of them with different sets of effects?

Yeah, you can absolutely do this with AUM. You shouldn’t have any CPU issues with a new iPad, I have last years 10.5" Pro and it can handle plenty of effects in real time, and I think this years non-pro is a similar spec?

1 Like

i have the normal ipad from last year. today i ran an audiobus project with patterning, animoog, borderlands, elastic drums, and some eos instances in parallel and had 95 % cpu. hard to finish a track like that. guess i have to record single tracks down to audio in cubasis

1 Like

FX don’t use that much.

Apps not named Moog don’t either. :upside_down_face: you pay a high cpu price for that quality.

5 Likes

How about latency? And any specific tips on which audio interface to do this with?

I can relate. I’m finally digging into Moog Model 15, working through Subject Sound’s Modular Synthesis on IOS course. Holy smokes, there’s tons of stuff I wouldn’t have figured out in 10 years of mucking about on it my own - and probably spending too much time buying and messing with a bunch of apps - and Model 15 isn’t even that complicated for a modular synth.

6 Likes

No issues with latency, default is low enough for me not to notice and I have to really push it to get crackles. In some apps you can configure buffer size. The amount of stuff you can run at once is nowhere near a desktop DAW in my experience but plenty for use as a live processor with maybe a synth or two - better looking at the iPad as a supplement to an existing setup than your entire setup imo (though some people do make great tracks entirely on iOS!)

Interface wise, any class compliant usb interface should work via the Lightning to USB adapter (sometimes called camera connection kit). I would get the slightly more expensive one which has both a usb and a Lightning port on the other end so you can charge the iPad while using a usb device. My Focusrite 18i8 works great and I can access all the inputs and outputs individually in apps like AUM

2 Likes