iPad Music Apps?

Sigh. You’re not wrong.

1 Like

I think people expect too much from their iOS devices. Context is everything. If you buy hundreds of cheap, novelty apps, in hopes of producing an entire album on your iPad, like some kind of app soup; then yes, you’re bound to be disappointed and frustrated.

But if you purchase a handful of reputable, slightly more expensive apps, with the intention of using them one-or-two-at-a-time for specific tasks, it’s truly amazing how useful and ultimately configurable an iPad can be.

I’m a full-time touring musician, for instance, and I use an iPad as a peripheral in an otherwise all-hardware setup. In this context, the iPad is the “what do you need” box: i.e. if I need a second drum machine, I load up Patterning; if I need a another synth, maybe one of the Moog apps, or LayR, or what-have-you… Any one of these apps on their own is arguablly worth the purchase of an iPad.

And when you think of it in that context - a $500.xx iPad, plus a couple $25.xx apps, maybe an adaptor or two, and a controller of some kind (if you don’t already have one in your setup) - you’d be hard-pressed to find a given piece of hardware for well under a grand that could do as much. Just saying…

Cheers!

13 Likes

Perfectly put, I recommend using it as A synth, or A drum machine, not a DAW with various plugins and automation running while trying to transfer samples between apps simultaneously. I’d say it’s one of the most flexible diverse pieces of gear you can buy right now but it works best as one or two things at a time. Not to say it isn’t capable of doing all of the above, it’s just not quite smooth cause it’s not really what it’s designed to do. that’s what laptops are for anyway. iPad is one of the best purchases I ever made for my music. Just don’t buy every app you see, even if you do you’d be hard pushed to spend as much as you would even on a blofeld or a boog or any other low end synth and you’ll end up with a ton more options

6 Likes

Very good advice. I basically use my ipad as a standalone plugin, one at a time, controlled by an Octatrack and sampled for further developing in a more powerful environment (either the OT or Ableton). When you look at them that way the apps are an incredible value even compared to most VST/AU plugins.

3 Likes

I use AUM, pack in some two or three rows of synth and au effects like reverb or perforator , give them seperate midi channels and use an external sequencer to play them… Sometimes with Borderlands in the background doing some drone stuff…

I am not exceeding 40 % of cpu and this is smooth… Adding some rozetta and drums is ok in that scenario…
That is a valid use case for me… The ipad is my one stop synth engine …

I tend to buy less and less as it turned out that using cubasis or modstep is too overwhelming and korg gadget is great but a closed ecosystem and every synth as its own usage paradigm and I grew tired to get my head around the next and next synth…

quanta granular is a bad example of a crammed user interface that makes me immediatly turn it off and wipe it from my ipad… too small, too much and made for the big screen, not for the ipad…

1 Like

Overspending on iPad apps is unavoidable, unless one has severely limited disposable income. They’re just so cheap compared to their desktop counterparts, that the overwhelming majority of users simply can’t resist buying 20 synth apps, 10 drum machine apps, 5 DAW apps, etc. over the course of the lifetime of an IOS device.

One thing we can’t avoid is some new framework that causes a big change in IOS music making - the latest being the introduction of Audio Units (now known as AUv3) to IOS. In just a couple of years, we went from “AU what the hell is that and what use is it to me?” to “No AU, no go!!!”. Such a change can result in users abandoning certain apps en masse and buiying a whole new set of apps just for that new framework, which, again, happened with AUv3.

I was admittedly a lot more productive with my mobile music making devices (iPad, OP-1, etc) when I had a longer commute on the train. Some stuff is just more fun to do with a multitouch interface.

1 Like

And there in lies the issue with iOS.

The takeaway is don’t use the beta version of any IOS, unless you have a legitimate reason (ie. you are an IOS app developer).

2 Likes

You make some good points, but I have been both, and all kinds, of iPad user for music since the initial fumblings of the platform. Although I’ve never been a professional touring musician (sadly? :blush:)

Ultimately, I think my disappointment is due to two things. Apple’s reluctance to take the iOS file system off of lockdown and the fact that I find using touchscreens wholly unsatisfying. Touching glass just doesn’t have the same feel, it doesn’t scratch the same itch, as turning a knob or even using a mouse. Using a Volca is far more satisfying at this point, notwithstanding the sheer power and sophistication of the apps available for iOS.

Of course, needs must, so I still use my iPad and music apps, but I’m always left wishing I could be using else instead.

Oh, I completely agree with you about Apple’s file system - never mind their business practices and overall tragectory as a company - and I also share your contempt for performing music on a touch-screen. I’m only using the iPad out of necessity, as a Swiss Army Knife of sorts, because it was the cheapest and most convenient way to solve a few problems in my live rig. I’m controlling it externally with my LinnStrument, primarily using Animoog and Model D as MPE sound sources, and occasionally using Patterning as a suppliment to my Tempest. I think I have a total of maybe 20 apps on it.

That said, it cannot be overstated that I have no love whatsoever for Apple’s protocols, and as soon as someone develops a decent hardware MPE synth, I’ll probably relegate the iPad to occasional studio usage. I suppose I could always take it with me camping or something (smirk). Regardless, if history is any indicator, Apple will be sure to render it obsolete sooner than later anyway. Ahem!

I still maintain though that it’s a very capable device when used modestly with a handful of robust apps. Now if only Apple would stop letting money drive the proverbial bus… Sufficed to say, I won’t be purchasing another iDevice, nor do I use a Mac in the studio.

Cheers!

yes! i’ve had a hard time enjoying Quanta so far. I’ve gotten some really crazy sounds out of it but it’s cramped AF. those 4 envelope selector buttons come to mind right away. sooo tiny.

I’ve not enjoyed any AD iOS app so far. Seems they should focus on creating a true iOS app rather than porting from MacOS.

Crossing Quanta off my to-buy list… Never got on with lazy Windows to IOS ported apps like that

1 Like

I’m with yall. It’s not a lot of fun. Certainly capable. Lazy is absolutely the word I would use.

This is pretty much what kills it for me too. To have to load in the same file for multiple mangling apps? A bummer.

Regarding live performance, I do admit IOS apps can be hit and miss there. The ones that preset a knobby look are particularly unreliable in that the knob turns the opposite direction from when I move my finger - would not want to rely on onscreen “touch” knobs for live shows. I could go on with the anti-knobs rant, but I’ll spare y’all that. Ironic that SunVox, which is often called ugly and scary by non-users, actually got it right as far as giving the user controls that actually work in predictable manner.

Most of the utility I’ve gotten from IOS music apps is in music theory/learning, playing with ideas, composition and, uh, “production” - though I have no intention of delving into audio mastering - a black art I wouldn’t mind leaving to pros.

Any one use FAC ENVOLVER here?
The V2 can convert audio signal into midi notes :open_mouth::drooling_face:
I just want to know if it CPU friendly or CPU hungry.

1 Like

The space craft app is really nice. I’m digging it way more than Quanta. It’s like $3 and I’ve been making really cool sounds. 100% recommended

3 Likes

I LOVE that app, such a magical sound experience to place around with it :slight_smile:

I didnt like quanta.
I love tardigrain ( can be use as an FX, i like to use it on Aux/send in AUM for that lush reverb).
Spacecraft sound really good too. Send LFO to it to controll parameter is awsome.
I like to use Borderlands too as FX too.

2 Likes