iPad Music Apps?

ive got some mad setups in aum , but it falls over quite often … more than any hardware ive used.
but to replicate what its doing would be difficult and much more expensive.

currently running drums through vocoder with a nice chord progression , delays , distortion , wave folding , lfo’s running into stuff … ipad pro seems quick enough to run it but it’ll often completely reset the ipad.

Hi everyone,

I’ve been following this forum for over two years now but never had to say anything I considered relevant for the community, until today :wink:

Next to a Digitakt, I also own several other groove boxes from Korg, Yamaha and Roland, and I’m often trying to find the best-working combination of hardware and iPad/iOS apps for seamless and hassle-free music composition and jamming.

Some may already know the “Groove Rider GR-16” app, maybe the best implementation of a hardware groove box in iOS software.
Now that finally Midi Synchronisation to external hardware including fine-adjustment of latency correction has been added, I’d like to say that it works perfectly and in tight sync with my Digitakt, even over a wireless Bluetooth link (Quicco mi.1 on the Digitakt MIDI port).

This adds synthesis features and FX that complement the Digitakt very well, and I can get as tiny as I like - it’s even compatible with an iPhone.

Have fun!

3 Likes

Got a couple of great new granular apps today. Both quite different but both sound excellent and have nice UIs.

Tardigrain is the more musical of the two, based around a piano type interface. Have to confess I don’t fully know how to use it yet e.g. I have no idea if/how you can modify the modulation, but it sounds great. Also supports MPE which I look foreward to testing out. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tardigrain/id1344470087?mt=8

SpaceCraft is the madder one of the two. It has a pretty crazy, slightly OP-1 esque GUI style and it totally mangles samples into amazing soundscapes, helped by a lovely sounding reverb built into it. Highly recommend this one if you’re into atmospheric stuff, it feels a bit like Samplr in that it totally feels at home on the iPad and wouldn’t make as much sense without multi touch etc. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/spacecraft-granular-synth/id1391256308?mt=8

Also while on the topic of sample mangling, got to give a shout out to FieldScaper and SoundScaper. I don’t really know how to describe them. Both complexity mad and somewhat hard to understand, but both sound incredible and do the craziest things to sounds. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fieldscaper/id1006624104?mt=8 https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/soundscaper/id945258583?mt=8

5 Likes

Shit, there’s just an overwhelming amount of awesome music apps out there! Jesus! Synthscaper, Soundscaper and SpaceCraft all sound amazing! I kind of hate touch display stuff, but it’s worth it for these sounds.

1 Like

I’d say all those apps, and Samplr, really take advantage of the touch screen and wouldn’t really work in any other environment - so go for it!

Soundscaper is really nice but I still haven’t found an app that apart from granular treatment offers envelopes. I’d love to export some of those sounds as one shots.

Also, finally Elastic Drums and I clicked, it’s really cool…

1 Like

ED is great, I love it when others realise too :joy:

What made it click for me was checking the presets my one of my fav acts, Swarm Intelligence.

synkronized,
I also have the Quicco, but I found that the square shape of the in and out kept it from attaching to the DT cleanly. Are you only using the out or did you find a way to make it fit?

Fair enough!
I think those presets came along with an update a while back.
It truly is an amazing app though and the iap is also recommended and economical when you hear the results!
I just love it so much!

That’s true, but I just plug it in anyway. You don’t have to push them into the MIDI ports forcibly, if they “hang out” by 1mm each, they still work flawlessly.
The best solution would probably be to just use coarse sanding paper and remove some material from each side where the Quiccos touch each other. The material is some kind of soft plastic and there’s enough space to remove about .8 to 1.0mm on each.
If you only need the MIDI OUT port, as you said, plugging the “OUT” block only is a working option.

Sugarbytes Turnado is Auv3 now
Quantum gets a great update.

2 Likes

Anyone knows what has happen to Zed synth? I can’t seem to access it in app store.

Hadn’t heard that. Great news. Hardly used it before but will try it again

1 Like

Cubasis on sale atm 50% off. It’s quite expensive but it’s been on my list for ages. Something to do with a major update.

1 Like

hmm. Not sure if I need a DAW on Ipad. Using Aum most of the time. But cubasis looks pretty solid.
Have beatmaker, but beside it’s sampler, I don’t really like it

Yeah, BM3 feels quite hard to use/over-complicated. Can’t get into it. I was quite impressed by Cubasis in terms of what it can do, but equally I don’t really find DAWs ideal on iOS. Have much more fun with AUM or apeMatrix and Rozetta and some AUv3s, fun “modular” jamming type workflow.

apeMatrix is well worth checking out, once you get your head round it its a great way to route stuff in interesting ways, plus you can LFO any AUv3 parameters

1 Like

me, too. Sometimes I wish I could finish an idea into a track directly on the ipad though. And I don’t like BM3 for that. I think I got my head around it, but it’s still not handy to use. The sampler part is really cool

Have to check it out, yes. I became careful with buying apps :slight_smile: When I got my Ipad i bought quite many apps, and now I use 10 % of them, mainly Aum, Bram bos and zeeon

1 Like

Ditto, it’s so easy to get carried away with “oh its only 4.99” or whatever, haha. But I am enjoying iOS music more and more as it matures, and as my mindset to production changes, and I’m happy to support these devs really as I know there’s not a great deal of money in it right now for most devs.

Digitakt etc. have already got me into the “one take live recording” mindset, which currently works much better for me than trying to arrange in a DAW, so AUM fits right into that for me – nice to be able to have a jam on a train or with my feet up on the sofa :slight_smile:

1 Like

I only got an ipad recently and my credit card issuer shut my card down yesterday because they thought someone had stolen it because of so many mini transactions. “eh, no, that was me going nuts with music apps in app store”. :smile:

But Zed Synth! It sounds awesome, but it’s just gone? :frowning:

1 Like