iPad Music Apps?

Yes, definetely learn cubasis deep before looking elsewhere.

And be wary when buying apps, the costs can really pile up and some apps you just never use that much after the initial buzz has gone… so pick em wisely!

1 Like

Truth. And no resale. I have tons of apps i never use. If i could turn back time i would have just gotten gadget with most of the iap’s (abu dhabi was a waste for me) and auria pro with all fabfilters and a couple other things. Audioshare and maybe a few fx apps to muck around with.
Model d and 15 and others sound phenomenal but since threy aren’t in gadget i rarely use them.

1 Like

Abu Dhabi was indeed a waste

Abu Dhabi a waste?? But I made this gem on it!

4 Likes

I use abu dhabi for adding perx layers sometimes. Its not a super useful gadget for sure, but sometimes I find uses for it. I woulda been disappointed if I paid the full IAP price for it however…

LayR got a significant update recently. It’s a serious synth with truly vast potential, worth a look if you’ve never considered it before…

Cheers!

1 Like

Is anyone using the iPad as their main DAW? I am thinking of finally updating my old iPad Mini this summer, and am thinking that an iPad Pro (the smaller one) and something like the AudioFuse could be a nice compact recording solution.

I want to, but I don’t have the juice. On my iPad Air 1 I can only run 2 or 3 apps tops. That limits me down to using only gadget and rendering the rest of my apps a terrific sounding waste

1 Like

Yeah, my iPad is pretty old so there has been no point even considering it. Like you though, the one app I am enjoying is Gadget. No matter what, I plan on using that more to feed my Digitakt. I kind of don’t mind sticking that and maybe a couple of the Moog apps. I don’t do well when I have too many options.

1 Like

Mitosynth is just too good to not get used…

Believe it or not - I’m having loads of fun with Gadget on the Nintendo Switch. Something about the ease and friendliness of Gadget, and the form factor / tactility of a portable game console with joystick and buttons makes it feel entirely different from serious production on computer and music gear, in a refreshing way. No export, which is inexcusable (I’m hoping they add this in an update), but at least it’s good as sample fodder and a quick sketchbook for ideas.

1 Like

I’ve dipped my toes into using an iPad as a DAW, with Cubasis as a pure multi-track recorder (no MIDI sequencing, no mastering plugins). Just record audio. Works fine for that. The most glaring limitation at the moment is I have only a 2-input audio interface, so no simultaneous recordings of incoming audio from Octatrack, hardware synths, etc. into more than 2 separate tracks. Now that the Soundcraft Signature MTK line has been in production for a while, some peeps are reporting they work fine as 12+ input audio interface/mixers for iPad.

I plan to explore Xequence as a possible MIDI master sequencer, because it’s one of the few linear sequencers. Beatmaker 2 was great at linear sequencing - just hit record and it’d capture all incoming MIDI data without caring about pattern length or anything like that, which is a limitation of pattern sequencers.

1 Like

damn was not even aware gadget was on switch. any chance of being able to transfer my in app purchases from my iphone gadget to the switch or would i have to buy again ?

No transfers of in-app purchases, sorry. I think it’s $50 for 16 gadgets in one go. There aren’t any additional gadgets for purchase yet, and I don’t think they have plans to release more at the moment.

1 Like

Why would you want to buy Gadget for Switch if you already have it on iOS?

1 Like

i dunno i like to waste my money on redundancy. i prolly shouldn’t considering it’s not nearly as feature rich as the ios version. still looks fun to use the controller

By looking at it, one unique Switch feature seems to be multiplayer - offline only unfortunately. Could be fun anyways.

2 Likes

I use auria pro as my main daw. Mostly because of the great fabfilters and other plugins that i’m too cheap to pay full Price for. Picked up most on special for under 20 bucks each.

1 Like

yeah, about that. I started having probs using all i/o on the 12MTK. I’m on latest iOS, maybe somethings’ changed?

Hard to say - too many iPad and iPhone models and generations - each potentially with different set of problems. I do understand that each of the 12 channels can be used for USB audio OR for analog audio, but not for both.