iPad Music Apps?

I’m looking to add a wavetable synth to my iOS collection. I’m sure there’s been a few mentioned in the thread but it’s gotten pretty massive and I assumed a new thread would get merged here so: Nave? PPG? I want the app that packs the most punch in weird tones. I’m trying to spend my hardware budget on analog stuff and have my iPad Pro cover my digital synth needs aside from VSTs.

Just got Korg Gadget. now that’s a fun one

4 Likes

Korg Gadget is AMAZING! It’s all the CPU my iPad can afford- but oh! How it can afford it! Korg really knocked it out of the park with that one!

4 Likes

Love sequencing on gadget. And it sounds great. Bilbao is a must. Once you get your favorite drum samples in it’s perfect.

3 Likes

Animoog is an excellent wave-table synth with all the facilities of a subtractive synth to boot: fully customizable 8x16 wave-table, Moog filter, plenty of modulation, 4 voice polyphony, multi-touch and MPE support, overdrive, bucket-brigade style delay, bitcrusher, etc.

I use it live onstage as the sound engine for my LinnStrument… It’s a serious synth by any standards. It’s expensive and fairly CPU intensive, but it sounds fantastic, it’s super flexible, and above all else, it’s reliable.

Cheers!

1 Like

Yeah all audio damage apps are great!
Eos and dubstation are my go to reverb and delay.
Replicant is fun.
I’m not sure what elastic fx adds to turnado.
Did not try it yet

1 Like

Let me add the PPG Infinite to your list, which is a very flexible wavetable synth.

I would say, check out, how you want to use your wavetable synth. IMO most Waldorf or PPG synths sound great, generally speaking. But there are differences in the details. If you buy the iOS apps it’s not breaking the bank, if you get more than one App.

I run Nave and PPG Infinite on iOS and like them both.

1 Like

PPG Infinite is the one you want. Its the latest incarnation of wave table synthesis, straight from the original wavetable synth designer himself. Unlike trad. wavetable synths, PPG is also capable of more dissonant sounds. Highly recommended!

1 Like

Bilbao and Vancouver both! Drums and melodic samples sorted.

Lately I’ve been digging the Vancouver alot… you can do loop point modulation with it (think GRANULAR) :nyan:

2 Likes

Good info. Thanks.

Are they heavy on the CPU?

Hi

I am new to the world of ios having swapped out a laptop for an ipad pro.

I have bought cubasis, blocs wave (pro collection), audio share and audiobus 3. (This stuff soon mounts up!)

I am looking for an app that will allow me to create polyphonic instruments from 1 shot samples so that I can sequence them using my digitakt. (bass, leads etc).

Is there a cheaper alternative to Korg Gadget+Vancouver? or should I just go for it. After all I am resisting the temptation to buy a hardware device for instance a used A4 mk 1.

Thanks

Hmmmm.
I’m playing with SynthScaper right now if you were to take the time to learn it it’d serve you well for creating sample based synth stuff, another option for building a synth sound around a sample would be Nave.

1 Like

Groove Rider GR-16, great Electribe 2/Sampler clone.

Beatmaker 3 does a really great job of making instruments from oneshots

2 Likes

+1 to Beatmaker 3. I haven’t used it much tbh, but if you need it for that specific use, it’s the best option. plus you can sample, slice, apply fx to banks or pads, etc. quite easy

It’s probably just me, but BM3 interface is a mess. I don’t find it intuitive at all. Korg Gadget on the other hand, is awesome and very quick to work with.

8 Likes

I agree - that’s what kept me away from it. such a shame, it’s incredibly powerful.
I actually ended up buying Cubasis last week, since I wanted something I can multi track, and also write MIDI on a piano roll.
Korg Gadget is crazy fast - I don’t use it often now, but when I open it, I come up with tracks really quick.
The bad things: no MIDI out (probably the feature most asked for), individual step length per instrument… not much I can think of, actually. maybe beeing able toad multiple samples at once on Bilbao.
also, standard gadgets are, at least for me, quite limited. that would all be solved with MIDI out - or even better, AUv3 (wich I think is less likely)… combining Gadget with synths like Zeeon, Mood or Model 15 would be awesome

EDIT: oh, and another thing I would love: to be able to export drummachine’s tracks (on a single Gadget) as separate audio tracks

I agree that it’s not intuitive at all, took me a while to click with it but I find everything pretty fast now. There’s definitely a bit of sorting out to do on the UI but I’d still say it’s the best tool for that job on iOS that I’ve come across. From the sounds of things in an interview with the app dev I think they’re looking at a bit of an overhaul in the future. Also it’s coming out eventually as a full desktop DAW which could be interesting or awful

Unfortunately, I feel the same. I know it’s powerful. But when I start a track in it, I get a bit frustrated quite fast.
Not because it’s too complicated, but the interface is not really intuitive.
Prefer just using AUM and individual apps

1 Like

There’s a cubasis video on creating sustaining tones from samples using the cubasis sampler, with crossfading loop points. Looks really straightforward but haven’t had a chance to really try it out myself yet.

1 Like