iPad Music Apps?

Haha thanks Ryan.
Wish I had been on the ball for NAMM. I was thinking about doing some fake Elektron on Teenage Engineering Eurorack Module mockups to cause a stir :wink:
With a 10 month old baby in the house theres not much time for photoshopping fake synths these days though :wink:

1 Like

Understandable!

I can only help your child chooses to join the family business of causing a stir

Did some MIDI sync testing tonight with my iPad and an old iConnectMIDI and my OT MKII.

Patterning syncs beautifully as slave from OT, and the latency is nonexistent. Just flawless.

Elastic Drums is all over the place, as master or slave, and the added latency, which is not compensated for, is an unusable 30ms. Glitching a good bit too.

ED is great on its own, but as soon as you want to use it with anything else it gets a bit hinky,

Iā€™ve got my eyes on a Digitone + Battery Pack + iPad Mini 4 running Patterning combo now, and my OP-1 is all pouty-face because of it. Iā€™ll have to take it for a nice long walk in the morning.

4 Likes

Have you tried it in a host with Link? I had issues with ED, but after I switched to hosting everything in AUM, using Link for syncing and then using a MIDI to Link app Iā€™ve not had issue. This way I have an OT as master clock for everything via an iConnectivity box.

Also Iā€™m surprised you find it glitchy unless youā€™re running a quite old iPad.

1 Like

Yes I have tried it with AUM, but not for external MIDI sync purposes. Iā€™ll give it a shot, though not sure the latency will be improved?

Link is certainly the most stable Iā€™ve got it to run along side Patterning, but itā€™s

The iPad Mini 4 has an A8, should be sufficient.

@hellcore With your OT and iConnectivity, is OT master or slave?

OT is the master, OT goes to mio10 and is starred off to everything else, other Elektrons, various synths and modular, Desktop is on one device port and iPad with CCK on the other , hub with a bunch of controllers on the host port.

Re: glitches, I get issues if I try to run it on my old iPad 4 alongside a bunch of stuff but on my 2015 Pro it is flawless.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips.

I did get better sync ā€œLinkingā€ through AUM, though it does drift a bit much for my uses.
Will stick to Patterning, and just use ED on its own and export the individual channels.

I donā€™t use it or need it but:
BeatMaker3 is a free download for NAMM time.

I might install it anyway :cool:

Sweet- my App Store finally viewed BM3 as free on the last day- it was getting close!

2 Likes

THANK YOU FOR THE TIP! I would have totally missed that!

Any additional tips for starting out, like quirky characteristics?

1 Like

BM3 is different enough from BM2 that thereā€™s been a learning curve. One of the stumbling blocks to learning is understanding Banks vs. Instrument Tracks - thread is probably a good read:

6 Likes

Oh wow. This app is not messing around. Looks like proper RTFM software. Thanks!

2 Likes

the release of the DigiTone made me interested in FM synthesis, wich I never quite dived intoā€¦ any app recommendations?
FM4 seems the most similar in terms of operator/algorithm ammountsā€¦ Iā€™ve been also been recommended Phasemaker, and Stria (this last one seems to complex - different for what Iā€™m after)

of course theyā€™ll sound different, have other functionsā€¦ but I would like to understand it better before even considering a DT seriously (I currently use an OT with an A4 - wich I got recently - and while I like the A4, I sometimes struggle with itā€™s sound/voice ammount)

FM4 has a great interface but no CC control. Phasemaker is pretty cool but interface is less intuitive.

KQ Dixie probably has full CC control and I love the layout of the app

Was just reminded that Audulus has FM oscillators. Now that I have an actual modular (Folktek Mescaline) I need to get myself thinking with a modular mindset anyway.

KQ Dixie is the newest FM app. It can load old DX7 patches.

** Edited to add links to cables **

I got in on that deal too! Super stoked! There is a learning curve but I was off and making some grooves in a few minutes. I dont have any experience with the legendary MPC but it seems like a touchscreen version of the MPC and it is LEGIT! Play with chords and scales on a pad bank? Yes please! Be aware that it is CPU hungry with effects especially. I have an iPad 4th Gen and at 512ms latency its decent, no way to get it to 256 without the CPU slamming the roof. Iā€™m tempted to update to a newer version of the iPad with a lot of storage just to have this a my ā€œGo sit on top of a mountain with iPad and some headphones and make musicā€ setup. :smiley:

Also thanks to whoever on this thread mentioned the USB to lightning cable! Got one on the way so I can sequence from from the DT and trigger things on the iPad. I got this cable (have NOT tested yet but should work, will update when its working 100% https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076D7CTWN/)

Oh one more tip is to get a 3.5mm TRS (Female) Microphone Adapter Cable to TRRS (Male) adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9CJDVE/) so I can plug audio sources into my phone like tv, other media devices, etcā€¦ And there is an app called Audio Keep from Wolf River -
http://www.audiokeep.com which is really rad - I looked far and wide for a rolling audio application and this seems to be the ticket. So you get a rolling 5 minute buffer (2 minutes for freeware) so set it up, hit record, and if you hear anything interesting just save the file. So storage space is not an issue.

1 Like

Like both those tips. Thanks.
Got a link to that adaptor?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076D7CTWN/ I got this one, have not recieved or tested it yet but I will report back when / if get it working.

----- Got the cable update ----

Works like a CHAMP in Korg Gadget LE right out of the box. Have not figured out how to have the pattern kick off yet via the DT but there are some CC#s that may need to be triggered. Good latency on my Iphone 6S Plus. Right now just having fun playing chromatically via the DT buttons, recording and then jamming along with the Monologue.

1 Like

Sorry I meant the trs one