iPad Music Apps?

Yeah!

1 Like

Oh yeah, I also got the PPG infinity the other day - a great synth!

Iā€™m really enjoying Grooverider at the moment, pretty much a better Korg EMā€¦

1 Like

Anyone using Patterning with an iPad Mini?

I sold my iPaid Air last year, only ever used it for Patterning as the main drum source for my OP-1, which was long gone.
Well, now I have an OP-1 again and I really miss Patterning. iMaschine on my iPhone SE just ainā€™t cutting it. I miss the p-locks and poly rhythms that Patterning could do effortlessly.
Looking at refurb iPad Mini 4 for the added portability, but I wonder how the Patterning touch interface feels with the smaller screen?

Anyone?

Patterning is one of the few music app that is not too crowded with buttons and functionsā€¦ Thus, I feel like it is the most usable one among all the music app that I own on my ipad mini.
Disclaimer: I have small hands (bigger than Trump tho) and it is obviously a matter of personal taste.

2 Likes

Iā€™m also wondering about thisā€¦ thinking about downsizing from iPad Air 2 to Mini 4 but am worried Samplr, BM3, Patterning etc will feel too cramped on the smaller screen. I think I prefer the size of the Minis for general use though.

The best drum options Iā€™ve found on iPhone SE are the new Groove Rider GR-16 app (great Electribe 2 clone) and MV-08, an 808 clone based on some nice samples. Both of those have p-locks, not sure about polyrhythms. Have been running them through a Monotron Delay and Zoom MS-70 straight into the OP-1, sounds great!

2 Likes

Well I went ahead and ordered a refurb iPad Mini 4. Arrives Thursday.

Itā€™s more powerful than my previous iPad Air, and has more RAM as well.

Will report back regarding if apps feel cramped with my (large sized glove) hands, though I will pretty much exclusively use Patterning on iPad.

Iā€™m excited to see that Patterning now has fully multi-track Ableton Live Set export. That will make working with these drum tracks very flexible.
That interface is just so inviting for productivity. At first glance I thought it was gimmicky, but soon found through use that it is incredibly powerful and inspiring.

2 Likes

ive seen GR-16 getting a lot of updates , new features and bug fixes. i tried the initial release and without read any manual/viewing movies i couldnt find a way to alter the pitch , but it seeMed good,

Soda seems good too , again it crashed a few times when i first used it and i havent gone back, but it looked great , and would make a great customizable controller surface too (without the actual audio/dj bitā€¦ just spit out midi / cc etc)

the last noodle i posted was ios , just figuring out fx and stuff.

1 Like

Had a look at the GR-16 manual. No polyrhythms and that is a deal breaker for me.
Otherwise it does look to be a fantastic app!

Elastic Drums is polymetricā€¦

2 Likes

I spent the weekend fumbling around with an introductory python project(coding a Pomodoro Timer) at 6am last night I finally finished it.

I decided to reward myself by buying MitoSynth and Troublemaker(Iā€™m intending on leaning into digi-Sampling iOS)

Just getting into MitoSynth now- this thing looks REALLY cool

Edit: trouble maker is pretty cool- just wish it had a little reverb in it

thanks for the tip! Looks like it has p-locks and works on iPhone too. Wonderful.

Do you know if the Ableton Live Set export is multi-track, like Patterning?

edit:
NM, confirmed multi-track. This is a great app!!

P-locks are different. Only one real lane for those, per synth, using velocity routed to a parameter. Will use the live ā€œmotion styleā€ automation for automating more than one parameter per synth.
Note: iPad version has an edit mode for editing automation in depth.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks again @rotallytuined .
Elastic Drums is blowing me away. Itā€™s like everything i wanted Microtonic to be, sequencer wise.
Yea, there are some limitations, but I love that this is available on iPhone and not just iPad exclusive like Patterning.
And the Ableton Live multi-track export through Gmail is a big bonus. Anything to avoid the iTunes file sharing scheme is a big plus.

1 Like

Elastic drums is great. Bought it while back after hearing about it here

Anyone recommend a midi pad controller? Looking at the akai mpd series which are usable with the cck. What about irigs pads? Anyone a preference for use with iPad apps?

Yeah ED is great, Iā€™m yet to hook it up to the OT/DT/OP-1 but for sure itā€™s top 3 for rhythmic work.
The IAPs are well worth it too, the extra synths are deceptively deep and as for dropping your own samples in, well, whatā€™s not to like about that?!

Have it on my pad for home and phone for work!
Love the randomiser, endless source of fun and inspiration.

1 Like

Yea I will start with the synth IAP and keep Patterning for my user samples.

Still amazed this stayed under my radar for so long.

I feel like Ruismaker should be mentioned here too for fun even though itā€™s not as powerful as ED or Patterning, the randomize function tunes the drums in key often making pleasant results and can do poly metric with each sound getting a mutation possibly in the sequencerā€¦

Havenā€™t used elastic drums. Patterning is very cool, and i have messed with it plenty, but never for anything concrete. No real reason though other than i prefer working all parts in one app, for recall purposes. U sometimes use patterning or seekbeats or ruismaker to create drum loops but have trouble finding uses for them. Thatā€™s not the way iā€™m wired. I like building songs as a whole, adding beats when a bass line takes a different turn, etc. Korg gadget is still it for me. Bilbao has a bunch of user sample folders i have imported in and i love the touch sequencer. So fast.

1 Like

We are all wired different.
Drums rule my tracks. And without starting there and committing, I am almost entirely unlikely to finish a composition.
I prefer using Patterning to author many different loop variations, and getting them all into the OP-1 tape, or Live arrange and going from there.

I am very unlikely to make a drum notation change after adding other elements. Though I may do some mutes or fx based fills of the drums later in the process.

1 Like

Ruismaker + AUM + Rozetta is a very powerful combination. I just discovered that the x0x sequencer has polyrythms, and that AUM stores its files in Audiocopy from where they can be trasnfered on the PC via WLAN. Convenient.

2 Likes