iPad Music Apps?

I haven’t gotten the new gadgets yet. Lisbon and the maximizer i don’t care about. Vancouver i might get. My most ised gadget by far is bilbao, as i run at least 4-5 instances for drums. Hoping mono/poly goes on sale soon too.

Here is an ambient jam using aum and 3 synths with their internal sequencers and some fx. Crackling ensues at some point (the moog app and the 2 reverbs are hungry). But they do sound great i think. Most of the crackling is page turning, so once i have the octatrack running them, so i don’t switch screens (and go easier on fx) i should avoid crackling.

1 Like

No problem man, sorry on the slow response. Glad you’re enjoying it. I never had the time to use it to its full potential

1 Like

From my quite short experience with the Lisbon I would say, it’s a kind of super-saw specialized synth, where the usual waveforms can directly be “super-sawed”, if this term makes sense (tri, saw, three pulses with different width). We can control the thickness of the sound, the stereo field, but also something Korgs calls “grit”, which generates a nice portion of dirt to the sound. There are 2 ADSR and 2 LFO, which can be used to modulate filter and amp. The FX section has a “shaper” and the usual time-based modulation effects like delay or reverb, but an EQ also.

I think this gadget is supposed to deliver thick and sizzling sounds as well as nice plucked ones on the fly :wink:

It could be that the four osc of the Monopoly might deliver similar sounds, but I am not sure.

1 Like

I cannot believe they got rid of the App wishlist with ios11. I’ll have to go through this entire thread again…

5 Likes

Positive Grid are having a black Friday sale atm. If you play guitar their stuff is pretty great

I realized you can share it to a note and keep a list that way

3 Likes

The MonoPoly sounds more, well, “vintage” to me than what I’ve heard so far from Lisbon, which is the supersaw, “trance” sound.

I’m on the fence about Lisbon. While I like some trancey tracks like some of the remixes of 1999 (Binary Finary), it’s not really a sound I gravitate to. OTOH I could be persuaded, basing on what sounds come out from certain IOS users whose patching chops I respect.

This one is super fun, great potential Octafood

Could probably also be used to generate MIDI to be recorded into the Octatrack sequencer.

nice video! phew, that many apps + screen recording, what iPad model are you using?
I have an iPad Air and I’m thinking about getting an iPad 2017 as second unit… they’re pretty cheap and it’s so tempting to play both at the same time without having to switch screens

Thanks. I have the ipad pro 12.9. Model 15 is super cpu hungry and changing windows a crackle is almost inevitable. Plus the reverbs And multitrack recording and other fx. It all adds up. I know people that make it work with the air 2. Just try to use as little as possible, most times i’ll just record individual loops to use elsewhere. Don’t get crackles while i use gadget (10 tracks) or when i use auria pro. But yeah, a second ipad would be great to just run aum and fx and the first as the synth(s).

Kauldron synth just came out and it’s like 4 bucks. I don’t think it sounds analog it’s just really full, clear, and deep sounding. The drift parameter to let the tuning get weird is, I like that knob.

Just bought it too, excellent synth, lots of features including Recorder, ARP, Spawn and ton of patches…hope they can be controlled (PROG. Change) with Digitakt…
@ 4€?..can’t go wrong

the apps i mostly use are

anything from Bram Bos , ripplemaker , ruismaker , odessa (new multiple sequencer one).

Zeeon is nice, seems similar to korg monologue/minilogue , especially in visuals .
Sunrizer - excellent jp8000 esque synth , some very nice sounds .
all of the AU:FX plugins , they sound great to my ears.
all of the audio damage plugins ,
apedelay , ape filter , … anythig from apesoft.
fm4
laplace , lorentz ,
DRC
soundscaper ,
ive mostly bought the induvidual synths from Korg , havent delved into gadget.

sequencing wise i like
Midisteps , midilfo i think its called… its quite simple but quick to use.
patterning - both for drums and melodies

controller wise , i’ve done most of mine with MidiDesigner PRo 2 .

overall i tend to make melodies , basslines etc , render them off and put them into the digitakt , sometimes the workflow is annoying , swapping between apps , aum/audiobus doing some odd things .
occaisonally i just hook it up to use as an fx processor , 2 x mono ins going through aum and various fx , eq , then back out with midi tempo sync… works nicely.

1 Like

yeah, this is what i do mostly, create fodder for the rytm. although as soon as i get the octatrack i will be running model 15 and a few more synths in aum sequenced by the ot. the iPad sequencing (outside of gadget ) is the worst part for me and when using gadget i find i automate more and then just press play and don’t “perform” the way i do when i play an elektron box.

Alright! With the unveiling of SRC DigiTransfer I need some cool stuff to send over to my Digitakt. Weird sounds to send over. I’ve got FieldScaper and iDensity(and if ever I can let myself sample synths- Gadget and Synthscaper.)

Anybody know any good weird sound creation apps for iPhone?

Samplr, Shoom, Borderlands Granular… those are the first that come to mind
Effects like Sparkle, Dedalus… are also nice for sound manipulation

1 Like

I’m looking mostly for iPhone apps(therein lies the struggle) stuff that I can drum up while on breaks from work, waiting for food to cook in the microwave and, of course, while awkward at some social gathering.

Though- I haven’t yet toyed around with Shroom yet- will have to give that a go! Thanks!

Crystalline is a great shimmer reverb. Just sayin

Maybe you’ll like Frum, there’s button in the middle of the screen and it will endlessly generate a new one shot percussive sound when pressed. If you like fm, weird, and digital drum one shots this does that. It’s really made to work like a tracker but it can be used to just generate samples too.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for mentioning Frum! Right up my street :pray:t3:

2 Likes