iPad Music Apps?

You can use au iOS synths as au plugins in logic. Just connect the iPad to the mac over USB and use it as an external instrument. You just have to bounce the midi track to an audio track before you disconnect the iPad or you lose the plugin like you had cleared the plugin from the channel strip. You can do the same thing with a number of hardware synths, like the moog minitaur.

5 Likes

Okay thanks. So I see that both my mixer (which can be an interface) and my Focusrite are class compliant. But each only has one USB port, which means I canā€™t connect an iPad and a computer at the same time, which Iā€™m assuming would be necessary if I want to record my iPad into Ableton via USB. So I guess thatā€™s why you mentioned special devices.

Yeah but you can always use the headphone outs for audio and lightning cable with adapter for midi like you thought, or plug one of your units into the iPad and one into the computer and connect with audio cablesā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m still on iOS 8 and Mavericks, what I said about the audio interfaces is true but apparently thereā€™s more audio/midi capabilities available over direct lighting to computer usb now on the current OSā€™s, donā€™t have the details thoughā€¦

1 Like

That makes sense. Very helpful. Thanks.

1 Like

Iā€™d say the quality from the headphone out compared to an audio interface is worlds apart, the difference is not to be underestimated.

1 Like

You might be interested in this:

https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/iconnectmidi2plus/

There are also apps that allow audio to be sent over the lightning cable.

Agreed, I was using the headphone output briefly so I could plug midi in, and wondered why I was getting no bass. Plugged my crappy behringer UCA back in and holy shit, itā€™s night and day. Guess I need a USB hub. Let the dongle party begin.

3 Likes

So if I buy something like that, and I want to record my hardware and iPad at the same time into my DAW, I would really be using two interfaces to go to Ableton, correct? Iā€™d use the one you mentioned and then my other interface which is connected to all my synths. Or can I not do that simultaneously with Ableton (two interfaces at once)? Sorry, a bit confused by how to record everything at once when using USB from the iPad.

I use a PC btw.

Try midimux and studiomux for going from iPad into a DAW. No audio interface needed. These apps and a server running on your computer will allow you to use your iPad apps as VST plugins in your DAW. You also eliminate any redundant D/A & A/D conversions from the signalpath this way.

Only thing to look out for is the sad fact that the experience might be buggy, depending on many factors. But itā€™s not expensive to try it out, and you can ask for app refund if it just doesnā€™t work for youā€¦

2 Likes

PPG Infinite is out
http://www.wolfgangpalm.com/iinfinite.html
not exactly for a few bucks but it is Wolfgang Palm Software and listening to it makes it worth getting it on the ipadā€¦
I am just beginning to check it out :slight_smile:
Just listen to the sounds Herr Palm created ā€¦

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, been looking forward to this one!

This supposedly reads wavetables from his other app? So you can make custom wavetables?

I just read it can import from phonemā€¦
I donā€™t know if other sources are available es well

webpage says:
Infinite comes with more that 300 tonal resources, which can be loaded into the 5 fields inside the Morhper. But it does not stop there. You can edit these in detail on two extra pages and can import your own sounds from the PPG WaveGenerator and WaveMapper apps.

Wavegenerator and wavemapperā€¦ hmm, need to research these a bit. Hopefully I wont need both in order to custom wavetable with the infinity. thx

1 Like

I will check if I can import Wavetables made in
audiotermā€¦
http://www.audiothingies.com/micromonsta/wavetable-tutorial/
I have some wt files and will try to put them into infinite and report back:)
maybe .wav is also possible as audioterm creates thoseā€¦

1 Like

seems those are the only tools available to import into infinityā€¦
but to be honest this thing sounds so great and the possibilities are endless, even without ccustom wavetablesā€¦

finally, after struggling with Magellan, I decided to purchase DRC (you can try it for free but it blocks the screen every 10 minutes or so)
I installed the demo a few times in the past, and really like it.
although less versatile than other synths, I really like the sound and the interfaceā€¦ the fx are great too.
as I previously mentioned, I also have Mood - wich is similar in some aspects - but as Iā€™m sequencing them with the Octatrack, my choice is reduced to synths that recieve Program Change messages (AU synths donā€™t allow PrgCh recall, you have to run them as IAA - so one instance per synth)

2 Likes

So whatā€™s a good way to record a synth sample into an iPad app like Samplr or Borderlands? Should I just record a wav file into my computer and then dropbox into the iPad? Or should I go direct into the iPad from the synth?

Also any recommendations for recording vocals into the iPad for sampling? I tried using the iPad mic but it picks up so much else besides vocals that the vocals donā€™t sound very good.

Maybe check out the Focusrite iTrack. It is what I use to record into the iPad because itā€™s preā€™s/inputs sound quite nice. Actually they just sound exactly like whatever is plugged into them. I think having a dock with a volume knob, inputs, outputs, and a headphone jack makes an iPad feel more like a groove box/instrument.

1 Like