iPad Music Apps?

QUESTION!

Is there a way to rig Modstep where you can remove triggers without going to “edit” first?

Or is there another iPad midi sequencer that can do different time signatures?

I really like the ability to plug all my notes on on the vast board of locations similar to the Korg Gadget drum instruments, and I’d like to apply that ability/process to my other instruments.

It’s either that or an MPC Touch/Live-I dunno

I must admit having became disillusioned with iOS music apps these days. Maybe I’ll get back to them after awhile, dunno. Everything just sounds so plasticky… I’m sure it’s just me. Maybe I need an audiointerface?

2 Likes

I stopped using them as an instrument…
The sounds are for sampling and using them in OT or DT…
Doing stuff with audiobus tends to be too fiddly for me… I often end in setting stuff up instead of playing.
It is a ciurse that everything is possible with the ipad … That also leads to endless distraction and technical problems…
Example:
Yesterday I “only” wanted a quick play with samplr.
I had my field recordings I made on my samsung uploaded to google drive and imported into audioshare.
At first I copied a .wav file directly into sampler, one file I had not from my phone… That went smooth.
Next I wanted to do the same with my .m4a fieldrecording file… It did not work. Some might say, of course that does not work as samplr does not work with .m4a files…
Fine… it took me 10 more minutes to figure that out and to convert the m4a to wav…
Not a big deal?
Out of fiddling with sounds and making music became an unwanted technical lesson …
That is, what the ipad is very often for me… anything goes… but where to :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Totally know what you mean there.

This is nnot to say great music can’t be made with iPads, quite the opposite… but it’s all became so samey to me somehow… Highly visual yet rarely deep in the same way as desktop software.

iOS11 dropping 32bit apps will be quite a big deal.

1 Like

I know what you mean. I can’t take anything I make with the iPad seriously-and there are some tracks that I really like! Right now, the goal is to find a way to use it as a midi sequencer for percussion because I love being able to program the entire drum kit from one singular page.

Isn’t there step mute/step skip in mpdstep?

There is, but it’s different. I need something where I can have the entire drum set available and can place trigs in a sequence and see how they work and try other things.

The most important thing is placing them and removing them easily

Thank you!

Perhaps Fingerlab DM1?

Thanks! But I’m needing more than 16 steps. I think it’s going to be Genome. It looks like it can do EXACTLY what I need it to do!

I’ve put offers in on an iconnectmidi1 on eBay, run that into my pyramid where I will route it to my Elektrons(A4/MDUW and also into my computer)

My midi setup is going to be On Fleek <3

Patterning is a fantastic drum sequencer with midi out. Fast and intuitive.

3 Likes

Oh yeah! I’ve been meaning to try out patterning for Midi as well! Great for poly rhythms! And it would certainly be easier to program these than with the Pyramid!

On midi sequencing, the pyramid is great for sequencing music with decent support for percussive tricks. But actually programming rhythms on it is, understandably not perfect

But yeah, patterning and Genome seems like a great combo for percussive sequencing! Thanks for reminding me!

1 Like

Does anybody use Audiobus 3 these days? If so, what do you use it for now that apps with inter-app audio and AU are prevalent?

I haven’t used Audiobus since I got AUM.

6 Likes

AUM is the bomb!

4 Likes

I take audio from the paired inputs of the k-mix so I can sidechain on the MPC Live or any other effect so I can resample

1 Like

Cheers for the ripplemaker, I missed that, looks like fun, and at least it is another angle…

1 Like

I’m sure this is a dumb question but if I get an iPad, do I need an iOS interface? Can I just use my regular old Focusrite Scarlett or my mixer?

In what scenarios would I need a special iOS interface? I’m just sending audio via the iPad’s 3.5mm audio output into my interface or mixer, right? And I use the USB-Lighting adapter to connect to a MIDI cable (or MIDI adapter), no?

Is the reason for an iOS interface so that I can send multiple tracks of audio to my computer rather than just one track via the iPad’s 3.5mm output?

I’m pretty new to the iPad game, but I go out of the iPad in to the tape in on my mixer. There are some apps that you can use as au plugins in logic if you happen to use it. You just have to bounce the track to audio.

I’m curious what you mean by using an iOS app as an au plugin in logic? I have not heard of this… :thinking:

1 Like

The digital to analog converters in an iPad are not all that great, higher fidelity audio with less interference will come out of an interface. iOS can use what are called “class compliant” usb audio interfaces using the proper adapter, these interfaces operate without drivers. Another use would be to get audio into your iPad for recording and multiple channels at that, also multiple outs as you gathered…
There’s special devices available as well such as the iconnectaudio which you can hook both a computer and iPad to for audio output and passing audio between the two, midi as well…

2 Likes