iPad Music Apps?

I would really love being able to open my gadget sessions as midi clips in my DAW, with all the intruments as vst/au plugins, and retaining the same sounds without committing to audio. But the price is making me second guess how badly (ie. how soon) I will need it

I’ve got the gadget ipad app as well, i think its great. No need to buy the desktop version for me.

Korg has got my money allready
 my monologue has just arrived :grin:

I just did a calculation and I think the only interconnectivity between the iPad version and the desktop version is the workflow. I believe they’re charging for the day and all the add on gadgets separately all over again

The new recording gadgets and the drumpler will most likely be IAP’s on the iOS update as well
 Not a single new gadget released after the initial launch has been free.

That’s most likely true. I just meant with the OS X version they’re intending for you to buy all of the gadgets separately all over again.

Unless there’s some “you’ve already bought it. So don’t worry about it thing” it doesn’t seem worth it. It doesn’t seem that they’re going to clear you on that though.

We’ll see. If not, the iOS version is still the most worthwhile

Edit: Zurich doesn’t seem worth it. The loop based manner of Gadget doesn’t seem like recording audio would provide that much use.

Unless the lenght of a pattern can now be expanded considerably? :diddly:

Even then, I think recording the audio in another app with the tracks stemmed would be more beneficial?

I thought all gadgets are included in the desktop version? Nothing else would justify the steep asking price IMO

1 Like

On another front, Auria Pro just got the new Fabfilter-R reverb plugin as a new IAP for the app. So now we finally have a desktop-class reverb plugin on iOS. Obviously this is only within the Auria Pro app, but nonetheless a welcome addition.

Eventually I’ll be able to afford the fabfilter plugins I’m using in Auria Pro for my DAW as well, should make swapping session data between the app and my DAW much more flexible :diddly:

After Gadget and ff plugs for my computer, I reckon I’ll be set for a long time. Now if only dumping stems from Gadget to AuriaPro was less of a cludge, heck, I could accomplish most of my day-to-days with just the iPad (overly optimistic I know!)

Yeah, that’s what I meant. If you add up the regular cost of Gadget and all the extra gadgets including the “real synths” you get roughly around 200

Anyone on original IPad Air and ios10? How’s performance? Still on 8.4.1 but would like to take the plunge soon

1 Like

I’m working off an iPad Air. I think I have the latest OS on it. It works alright, no issues that I’m aware of

I’ve used gadget pretty solidly now for 18 months. The main ups and downs are:

as an all in one synth production suite it is hard to beat. Easy to use yet deep, insert fx on every channel, very responsive sequencer window, automation on practically everything and all the gadget sounds just ‘gel’ together making mixing easier than on a daw-at least to my ears.

The downside is that it syncs far too late when receiving hardware midi clock and as yet it cannot act as the master. I bought an octatrack for this very purpose and was gutted that it was a practically unusable partnership. It does have Ableton link though so you could link it to hardware via a computer.

I’m surprised to hear this, as I never encountered such a problem when syncing it to the OT when I had one, or to the Monomachine or currently with the Squarp Pyramid. What does your signal chain look like? Maybe there’s something else amiss.

Octatrack midi out to ipad lightning via a converter. Gadget was about a 16th note late. A workaround was to use an app like DM1 to send MIDI out to gadget and the octatrack simultaneously but it was a bit of a faff and I really wanted the octatrack to be the master. In the end I sold the octatrack.

But if you have managed to get gadget in-time to an external MIDI clock I would love to know how so I could revisit hardware.

I just tried this a few days ago OT->iconnectmidi4±>Ipad. Gadget was a hair late but nowhere near a 16th. I dropped the buffer setting in gadget to its lowest(128), and my interface was only adding 4ms at 96000, 128 buffer. Seemed ok as long as I didn’t double up drums, using gadget for either drums or melodies
 Next time I’m going to try a 64 buffer from interface and see how drum hits align.

thanks for that. I was wondering if the icconnect would reduce latency. I might look into getting the digitakt and get an icconnect interface

cheers

IIRC, use airplane mode and disable background app refresh for best performance (kill unused apps from bg as well)

Korg Gadget got the audiotrack update today, along with the new drumpler gadget. I am a bit puzzled by the new drumpler though - is it not just another flavour of the existing 16 pad drumpler with a different GUI?

Not yet available on my end