iPad Music Apps?

I’m needing an interface that has input and midi. I thought I had found it with the behringer iS202 but that’s only good for pre-Air iPads. I’m trying to stay as minimal as possible for my carry around studio. (REALLY annoyed there’s no record button on the nanoKEY )

I have an iConnectMIDI1 and it’s a solid, nononsense solution that also supports sysex etc. You can either hook it up straight into the lightning port (lighting port also powers it) or use USB connection if you need to hub things up. Works also on mac and pc.

And yes, the Ody app is great, especially if you use Gadget.

1 Like

You mean it doesn’t work with a 30-pin to lightning adapter?

I hadn’t thought about using an adapter, but it looks like the part that plugs into the iPad is the long, skinny input similar to the iPod Classics

yeah, this one should do it:

Don’t buy from Apple though, prolly cheaper somewhere else lol. But beware of clone products, only the original Apple adapters work reliably (guessing there’s more of some draconian DRM tech inside these things like with the USB3 lightning adapter)

1 Like

Oh cool! Thank you very much, sir!

One other question. I tried to plug in my nanoKey to my iPad it says there’s not enough power to run it. I read online that an unpowered hub should resolve this. Does this sound right?

Ahh, that. Many USB devices require either the USB3 lightning adapter, connected to the wall socket, or a powered USB hub to work. Perhaps the korg controller is one of these devices? Could also be that the later nanokey models do not require extra USB power… I’ve only used my qunexus, no experience with the korg nanos.

In any case, I totally recommend a little powered hub for iPad connectivity. Using just one USB device at a time is rather limiting at times.

1 Like

Gotcha! Thanks for the input! I guess I can manage a wall outlet from time to time and just use the bluetooth if I’m in a dash.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the info

1 Like

I use the adapter with my behringer and air. Not pretty but it works. Personally I don’t care for the audio in of the is202 but love everything else about it.
Just noticed you got other replies and was going to tale this down. But leaving it up to add - go genuine apple for the adapter. The facebook iPad musician group is full of tales of woe. Apple intentionally makes it difficult to save money here.

1 Like

what’s up with the audio-in? Just bad quality? How’s the Midi-capabilities? You reckon I could send samples to the MDUW from it?

Roland duo capture ex works well the few times I’ve used with ipad. Think I paid £60 used on ebay.

Hello. We’re chatting real time. See my adenda above.

I wanted to use my iPad for real time effects and found the loss in quality distracting where after I upgraded to the iconnect audio it’s good as new. Headroom or something. Touchy and dull and noisy.

I don’t think the behringer supports sysex. Also, there’s only two apps I know that send sysex and I have not yet determined if either send samples. I take it you don’t have the elektron midi USB adapter? That thing is great. You might just have to play them in real time as audio. Using midi to sync the two should make that not too bad.

I’ve ordered a Behringer UCA 222 for sofa/out of the studio use, I’ll report back.

2 Likes

I finally took the plunge on Modstep. It’s really cool so far, definitely going to be a portable intensive lesson in midi!

I’m trying to control the parameters of FM4 to get started. I’ve only programmed hardware. how do I go about setting CC parameters for iPad apps?

As promised here’s the ‘portable’ setup running a Behringer uca222.
iPad powering both the sound card and the craftsynth. When needed I plug in the po-11 for drums.

No midi on this setup…

1 Like

Similar setup. I’ll post mine soon

1 Like

Wait. It’s the USB3 thing I need to not have to worry about no power going to my stuff?

Ugh the buying never ends…

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s why the USB3 camera adapter is so handy. It suppiles power both to the USB socket as well as your iOS device, so all those “device uses too much power” nags are eliminated with it.

1 Like