iPad Music Apps?

Money’s tight. Unless you’re looking to trade for an op-1, I can’t help ya.

Not cheap but work very well

I love the Focusrite iTrack Dock. The form factor is perfect for me. Especially for the iPad Mini. So much power in so little space. It’s like its own little synth unit with everything in one place and it keeps the screen tilted.

1 Like

does that work for an ipad with a case on it?

Is the USB connector fully usable I.e. can you connect an AR/A4 and send/receive MIDI?

You mean inside a road case? Not shure if i would leave my ipad connected inside my iTrack Dock if it was in a road case. I wouldn’t chance it with a standard size ipad. With the ipad mini it should work if you apply a strip of tape on the right side. But me personally I’d rather take it out and transport it separately.

Not leaving the iPad connected to the dock inside a case, but I’d like to connect the ipad to the dock while in it’s protective case.

The iTrack Dock only has USB Midi and some devices don’t really work on it, like the Korg Nano controllers for example. Focusrite have a list on their page of which controllers don’t work. I am not sure about the A4/AK, you’d have to try.

What you can do though is use the iRig Midi 2, which is a simple bus powered Midi interface for IOS and OSX/WIN. It gives you standard hardware Midi outs and ins so you can use the Dock with any Midi hardware. Works perfect for me.

1 Like

Ah, ok i misunderstood. It depends on how thick the case is. There are several mats included with the dock for different ipad thickness. You’d have to try if one works for you.

1 Like

I use studiomux. With it you can stream audio bidirectionally between an iPad and a computer, among other things. This eliminates any redundant AD/DA conversions from the signalpath.

If I need to output into something else, I have a few options. a short minjack to minijack cable into my Radial JDI Duplex and XLRs from there, or just a minijack to two 1/4" TS Y-cable if the other end expects line level.

Latency seem to be very noticeable ! from the StudioMux demo i’ve heard… am i right ?

Possibly. I rarely do anything realtime with my iPad (I kinda hate toich screen controls for “playing” anything) so have not thought about that actually.

1 Like

I used to use studiomux, but it is kind of obsolete now that OSX handles all Audio/Midi transfer over the USB cable, isn’t it? That is when you’re on a mac of course.

Care to elaborate? How would one set this up?

Since OSX El Capitan all you need to do is connect your IOS device with USB and open “Audio MIDI Setup”. Under “Window” open the “Show iOS Device Browser” window and click “Activate” for every device you want to directly stream audio from. You iPad/iPhone will show up in the main window as an Audio Device just like your audio interface. Now you can stream audio directly without any VST or app on your device that just convolutes the whole process. It works only with iDevices that have the lightning connector and it only streams out of the iPad, not into it.

Midi works over the network session. In the “Midi Studio” window just activate your iPad for the network session. I think you have to be on the same wifi network for it to work.

8 Likes

Anybody know how to export recording in Fieldscaper? Music isn’t making sense to me, gotta steer towards experimental. Hashtag-octatrack

the MIDI network thing is pretty bad tbh. It drops messages left and right

Anyone knows if apps like StudioMux or AUM Audio Mixer would allow me to route individual channels from a USB soundcard?

In my case I have a K-Mix, with Rytm, BLofeld and OT connected. Rytm and Blofeld are on a separate send so the audio goes back to the OT for sampling/direct audio without feedback. I’d like to connect the Ipad via USB and sample from OT but also send audio to the OT for resampling when needed…

I haven’t tried it myself, but there is a routing option in AUM for the channels “Hardware” outs (Spekers, for example). I would be very surprised if Kymatica overlooked interfaces.

I think the most basic way is to send it via Interapp to Garageband. There it should be possible to transfer to at least iTunes.

But I use AUM to record and then send it to Audioshare for editing and then off to Dropbox.

3 Likes