iPad Music Apps?

Yes. I use the ipad as my mixer currently plus the effects I mentioned. I also send out using AUM to hardware effects. My audio interface (iconnect audio 4+) lets me connect a controller so if i don’t have room for the ipad, I just leave it on the floor - you don’t need to look at the screen if the controller has feedback, which mine does - DJTT MIDI Fighter Twist.

My reference to Mellotron and Animoog were to King Krimson and J.M. Jarre respectively. I’m from memory there so I didn’t want to put it up and be wrong. But I’m almost certain it’s them. Other big bands have used it as a visual novelty too.

For another project i’ll be using Samplr (which is a very cool tool and much like the sample handling features of the OT overlaid with a fantastic UI - I have an OT too), iDensity, the sequencer in Patterning and a player called LP5.

As for stability, my OT crapped out during my last gig. Ipad has never even crackled. Not a scientific study but my point is that neither is certain. My A4 has crapped out during a gig too - it seems to be very finicky as to power source.

In past incarnations I’ve had Samplr running next to a table full of gear. No one has ever asked me about the gear but I get questions about Samplr all of the time. I only got crap about the iPad once from a guy who runs a synth shop…

3 Likes

You can use samples in Patterning. So that bas is covered(unless you can do more with samples in Elastic Drums?)

Patterning IS pretty fantastic. Soon as I found out I can load samples in and step lock parameters I was pretty floored

Have you tried sequencing the rytm?!?

Only from Collider and sorta through Strom

Patterning–>Rytm=good times!

4 Likes

Whaaaaaaaaat! How do you do this magic?! I understand that Patterning has probability, I didn’t know you can send midi with it! That might actually influence my OT game too! (maybe even MDUW once I get a Midi iRig?)

2 Likes

Yep, and you can have the rytms sequencer running at the same time, loads of possibilities. Each patterning track can have a specific midi channel and note that it sends. There is also a way to trigger all the rytm voices on one channel, gonna set that up next time.

4 Likes

File menu contains midi configuration, sync. There’s only 8 patterning tracks so you have to leave out 4 rytm tracks but you can choose which ones. Set up a midi config then save the pattern. If going for separate channels you send C2 note otherwise it will be pitch shifted, but like I said there is a way to send different notes on just one channel for the triggering, just havn’t done that yet. Seems to me might be simpler to not eat up all those channels, maybe doesn’t matter, haven’t put to much thought into that yet. When you make a new pattern go back to midi configuration and you can import your settings from the other pattern… Then there’s the sync menu to get the sequencers going in time, I have them all start from my Octopuss…

4 Likes

Don’t forget you can live record iPad sequencers into the elektron sequencers!

4 Likes

I’ve been putting this off so I can finish up things I already started. I can.not. wait to put Patterning, Collider and the Rytm together. Orgiastic.

For those who know, could the iConnects be used to a.) send/return ipad fx b.) control the Rytm from pattern and c.) receive OT MIDI?

I love this forum so much! Thanks for the heads up!

4 Likes

I just heard it was a lot of fun with some cool sounds. But the midi functionality makes it another beast(I wish I still had a Nord Drum 2…)

I’ve done a) send/return ipad fx and c)receive OT MIDI. I haven’t tried b). Using AUM you have many options as far as routing both audio and MIDI. I have done it with iConnectAudio4+ but you can also do it with any CoreAudio compliant audio interface using CCK and a USB hub.

What kind of audio cable are you guys using to get audio both in and out of the Ipad?

Yes you have multiple streams playing alongside together… but you can’t associate Layers on top of each other and scanning through with opacity and the same grains configuration. Of course you can mimic it with identity but to me it’s an interesting aspect. also, you can always get things similar, but sometimes things can be more immediate and visual understanding of what you do fastly. I perfectly see it on Borderlands… iDensity is slot you can mixed : not sure you can morph… because layers opacity is kind of morphing.

But i may be wrong.

it’s a Lightning to USB cable but it’s more the class compliant device after it who could handle midi and audio and offer you routing matrix to do whatever you want with the data

I use Audioshare + Dropbox to get audio to and from things.

If I absolutely must get audio direct I’ll use a minijack to 2xTR. Though that is a rare must; not very good quality imo.

I was looking for a way to get the audio from my mixer to the Ipad and back to the mixer so it can be sampled into the OT.

Maybe something like this?

The best cheap one is that with the apple dongle Lightning to USB + lightning port

2 Likes