Ipad fx or dedicated pedals?

Actually i could use the Octatrack for this if Midilearn was working as described in the manual…

Technically, combining Midi capabilities of both ipad and Octatrack + Midi learn to control apps from the Octatrack + using Fx of the ipad as an Fx box would be a blast. Especially since i’m looking for a minimal setup.

All of this seems possible, just the HOW is left to be answered…

Not sure how your Babyface Pro works there, only know it‘s a phenomenal audio interface.

If you give us a little more detail on the challenges you‘re facing (ie what‘s available re ins and outs) maybe I can guide you through the process.

I use my iPad as FX unit for the Cue Out of my OT. I have an iConnect Audio+ connected to the iPad via Lightening port, then the OT cue outs go from the OT to Line in 1+2 on the iConnect.

I use AUM or ApeMatrix to route. In AUM, you simply add a new “track” by clicking on the big “+”, then select “Audio” then “hardware input” and then your appropriate Line ins. You shouldn’t need TotalMixFx for this but then I don’t know how the Babayface routes its ins/outs (which I understand is the problem you’re dealing with).

Given that your audio travels from your OT to your Babyface and then via Lightening cable/USB port to your iPad, the Line ins could very well be labelled USB1, USB 2 etc. For example with my iConnectivty Audio 4+, that’s exactly how it is. USB1 and USB2 are Line in 1 + 2 and I can select them as “stereo” (which reads USB1 + USB2) - doing so, I’m golden.

Also, I put the OT Cue in Studio mode so that I can mix between dry and wet signal on the sends.

I also have a Digitakt. I use its midi tracks as “dedicated hardware controllers” of the different effects I run in AUM. That way I can switch between controlling each effect with a tactile interface easily.

The setup is very powerful and lots of fun. And the flexibility is phenomenal. I have a lot of different pedals, and for a while used them on the OT cue out (which is also really great), but the ease of setup and cabling and the fact that I can have it all in stereo make the iPad thing awesome.

I also have a guitar and a mic going into my interface, so I can send those back to the OT on the fly.

Give some detail or screenshots and maybe we can guide you to a function setup.

Thanks for your advices.

I will try without TotalMix Fx involved, indeed it may just adds to the confusion. I am not sure though how the Babyface Pro needs it or not.

In Aum, i think my main issue is that i don’t know what’s the label for my hardware input 4 (a physical jack) which is the Cue output of my OT. Usb3/4 in Aum are for example corresponding to the Headphones outputs of the Babyface Pro.
These out put are sharing the same circuit but i was thinking to hardpan them in order to use one for dry signal and the other for wet signal.

If I try to make it more clear i have:

OT Cue out put in mono > input 4 of the Babyface Pro.
Headphones 3 (labelled usb 3 in Aum) > looper > OT Inputs C/D
Headphones 4 (labelles usb 4 in Aum) > OT inputs A/B

As such, without Aum or TotalMix opened, i am getting sound into the OT.
The only trick is that i need Aum to apply FX and if I know that USB3/4 are my headphones ouput, i don’t know what’s the Input 4 label in Aum.

I posted a message on RME forum but it doesn’t seem very reactive. Maybe there’s a routing trick to do within TotalMix…

I never tried the Cue studio option but is it not to switch Main & Cue outputs? What’s the point in doing so?

I hope to be clear about what I am asking for and about my setup.
Maybe I should try a simpler setup but i was thinking dedicating some time to have a nice setup to work with for a while and then just turn knobs and enjoy.
I appreciate much any kind of help/recommendation as i am more to play with wood & strings and it is my first setup with buttons, Midi, first soundcard and all this is brand new and a great mistery i have to admit :wink:

Not sure why you want to hardpan, ie which dry/wet signal you are referring to. The cue out will send any track you send to cue to your interface “as is”, ie the way it is being processed in your OT on the track. If you want to decide between the volumes of the “uncued” track (as comes out of your OT pre CUE) and the “cued” track (ie track affected by your iPad FX) you can use the OT’s studio mode for cue. In studio mode, you can control the track volume and cue send independently, so it works like a “Send to Aux” on your mixer or in your DAW. If this is what you are after, switching to cue mode and ditching the hardpan thing will allow you to simplify your setup.

If I read your issue correctly, your line outs are working but you can’t identify which of the “Hardware Input” options in AUM correspond to your Babyface’s physical inputs, correct?

I’d suggest here that you simplify your setup until you’ve worked it out. Here’s my suggestion, two scenarios:

Scenario A: IF your OT is your main mixer and your speakers are connected to the Main Outs of the OT

Send Cue Out of OT to Line in 3+4 of your Babyface. Send your Babyface Main Outs to OT’s Line ins (1&2 or 3&4 up to you). In AUM start with a blank project, add an audio track, as input select “hardware input > usb?” (? = you’ll have to try out all options till yo get a signal). The route that track to your Babyface outputs (click on the “bottom circle” of the track, select “hardware output” and then select the appropriate USB out -in this scenario your main outs - which you seem to have identified already). On your OT, set direct monitoring for the “return” input you chose to 127 OR use one track to set up a THRU machine and set it up to source the line ins you’ve chosen. You need to take this step to hear your return signal.

Scenario B: If you have a mixer or another audio interface that your OT and Babyface go into

Send Cue out to Babyface ins. Send Babyface main outs into a stereo track of your mixer. Set AUM the same as described above. No need for direct monitoring or THRU machine in this setup, as your mixer/interface will rout the audio to your main speaker source.

Please note: your hardware INPUTS and hardware OUTPUTS will almost certainly be handled separately by your Babyface Pro. In other words your “USB1” on “Inputs” has got nothing to do with your USB1 on “Outputs” - they may be named the same but they are different physical ports.

In AUM you’ll find all hardware INPUTS in the upper circle of an AUDIO track by clicking the “+” and choosing “Hardware Input”. You’ll find all the OUTPUTS, by clicking on the bottom circle of the same track and selecting “Hardware Output”.

You should be able to just cycle through your inputs on an audio track until you have a signal. Best to just loop something on the OT, send it to Cue, then cycle through the inputs until your meters show there’s a signal coming through.

1 Like

I meant hardpanning within the Babyface to get:
Dry signal > headphones 3 > looper
Wet signal > inputs A/B of the OT

Isn’t it already what is proposed in the OT mixer with the volume knob for main and the one for Cue?

I think that’s the trick! I started to suspect it but it might be this.
They gave same name but it shall not be the same physical port regarding if it is set as input or output. This same labelling got me confused.
I’m trying this right now!

Thanks for your time and very detailed explanations :wink:

1 Like

I confirm: your note hit the right point :wink:

I got tricked:
in Aum Usb 4 in input is the jack input of the BFace.
Usb 4 in ouput is the headphone output of the BFace.

Also i don’t use speakers but headphones through the headphones output of the OT to listen. So i had to think to balance all the signal towards Main (in the mixer page of the OT) to really hear if the Cue signal passes or not.

Thank you so much, cheers!

1 Like

With a soundcard like the Babyface, you’ve got midi, good AD/DA converters and practically unlimited options for programming iOS FX!!! Maybe it’s been a while since you looked at what’s available / doable with iOS music apps?

I have both. As far as I’m concerned apps, however good, do not interact nearly as well as the modules on Zoia do.

1 Like

or get an OT MK1 for cheap and you’ll have 4 inputs, 8 effects tracks, and a sequencer to manipulate effects… AND the fader. Plus you’ll have sampler that cant be matched. I think you’ll get way more out of an OT MK1 than an Ipad with an IO interface. If you dont like it, then sell it and buy an Ipad.

1 Like

As in multiple iPad FX being modulated in, say, AUM or Apematrix don’t interact as well as the modules in Zoia? Interesting. I’ve no doubt the Zoia is great. I have an Empress Multidrive and it’s quality. I’d be interested to hear what your favorite patches in Zoia consist of.

I thought about the ZOIA and some others, but really now with Effectrix/Turnado AU and all the great FX AU from Audio Damage, FAC, and others, I find running audio of some devices in through AUM and utilizing the IOS AU fx seems good for me because I get bored with sound quickly.

IF IF IF I were to get hardware FX, no doubt I will find a Kaossilator Quad box…perfect for live stuff.

I think a really important question for you is this for studio or live use?

What DAW do you use?

Then i would have a double footprint, 2kg more and have to juggle with some money :wink:
Moreover, it is a bit overkill just to get some FX especially if these are the same than the other OT…

I am not sure this question was for me but whenever i start something new in music making i always pay attention about live doability. Hence having a small setup.
Or i prepare stems i can carry within the OT but i found it really difficult once you build a set in your room to say: « ok so this i cannot do it on stage, this i can not carry in the plane, etc… »