IPad+DT+Volcas DAWless setup question(s)

Good evening all,
I am seriously looking at working as less as possible with a laptop (MacBook pro). For obvious reasons, I will still use it for final production if needs be.
My question is: using the following gear, is it feasible and if so, which iPad apps should I look at?
Volca BASS, KICK, KEYS and FM, Digitakt, Arturia KeyStep, MODEL1. All Volca devices and DT going through MOTU UltraLite Mk3.
Thanks for any input, as ever.
Best,
V

Not sure the Ultralite Mk3 is class compliant, which means you might not be able to get audio in and out of the iPad via CCK. Not a problem if you only intend to use the iPad for midi sequencing your hardware, in which case I’d go for ApeMatrix and the Rozetta suite of midi sequencer plugins. If you want audio as well I’d add in the Moog instruments and the Bram Bos apps. For FX the Audio Damage apps are pretty good, and get AUM if you want a traditional mixer rather than the matrix mixer in ApeMatrix. There are also a bunch of free AUV3 FX you can use as well.

I’d also read this Medium article from Bram Bos on the strengths and weaknesses of the iPad for music production. It’s good to go in with your eyes open recognising that an iPad isn’t a substitute for a DAW, but something else entirely.

1 Like

Great article, and I had never thought of it that way; but looking back on any iPad music I made the stuff liked the best was when I did the “modular” style. Tried a few “traditional” daw like apps and never seemed able to produce anything interesting, I can say the same about when I was using an ableton push combo; ok but vanilla. (Most definitely my lack of skills.)

Anyhoo, currently using iPad as an effects/mixer permanently tied to my elektron boxes through a focusrite Scarlett; running AUM and auv3 apps almost exclusively. Super stable, and since I leave it plugged in; when I get a free moment I am able to power up the elektron kit and jump in right where I left off.

If I manage to stumble on something interesting hit select tracks, hit record; dump it to the cloud (Dropbox) using AudioShare.

Pretty decent workflow, for me, and immediate enough. The midi tools are fun and amazing; and some of the synths people are coming out with is amazing. Cost is super cheap as well for apps. Effects especially.

Synthscraper and fieldscraper, mind blown! And that UI! One day I’ll figure out what is going on. :frowning:

Thanks a lot for the detailed info @Switchmode.
Really appreciate.
Also have a Novation 2x4 hub that is USB compliant. Will look into it.
Again thanks a lot,
V