Introducing Syntakt

I sense a new elektronauts meme …

1 Like

Great stage name, Gimped Orange.

Is the gimped gimp a gimped gimped gimp?

1 Like

Bring out the gimp!

Mapping the performances to a midi controller or to OT midi LFO really opens the RYTM. Syntakt has a performance mode too but it’s way more complicated to set up. Sold DT and ST and got a rytm for a good price . It’s really another beast. But I would like to have the syntakt on the go for making Tracks with it . The form factor is really nice

2 Likes

And having to play button combo gymnastics just to select a track in the Syntakt to me is a pain. I like just press a track button to mute/unmute a track and at least the DN, OT, A4 and Rytm have this feature clearly labeled tracks can select and lay down trigs easy peasy.

2 Likes

I’m just going to be that guy because I work with disabled individuals and have a disease that one day may make me disabled that the use of the word “gimp” in the context of the previous comments is super ableist, derogatory, and alienating to people suffering from conditions outside their control.

13 Likes

Yep. I know, I had the Dark Trinity, but I wasn’t inspired at all with it.

Perf should be good standalone. A knob mode would have been much better for me than these hard pads. I also didn’t like Start / End vs Start / Len for samples, and the 12 tracks for 8 voices choices were warping my head. As I said, great features, great sound, possibilities, but not for me.

2 Likes

Was just a workaround for the perf mode. You are right about the pads for perf . They are kind of quirky the knob mode on the A4 is much better imo

Rytm was the only Elektron box I don’t have fond memories of. I just remember hating the toms and finding them utterly useless and underpowered and that sort of salted the whole experience.

Syntakt is just as fun as the Digitakt for ease of creation, inspiration and creativity, both of which are ahead in those areas relative to the DN (yet which is my favorite). I am a little grumpy it’s $200 off right now, cheaper than MSRP DT/DN. Oh well, I’ve enjoyed my time with it.

3 Likes

yeah I hear ya well I like the toms on the AR MK2 that I borrowed from a friend better than the toms on my Roland TR-08. But toms on my modular Akamie’s Taiko rule over them all. Unfortunately no deals right now for AR MK2 or Perkons so I wait until next year and see. I get some banging techno beats right now on my AH+DT combo and Queen of Pentacles in my small 4u case.

Agreed. I’ve had well over $200 worth of music-making enjoyment from the ST since its release, so no regrets here.

2 Likes

I think you need to consider the situation in which the word was used, which I believe, in the context of this thread, was meant to mean the following…

From the urban dictionary:

“When a large system is brought down by a single lame part, that is constantly the source of repeated failure, the system is said to have been gimped.”

I think he was implying that, as the Syntakt doesn’t have samples or a compressor, it has been “gimped” (as per definition above) compared to the Digitakt.

2 Likes

There were multiple posts I wasn’t talking about one single post. I think in general we can do better than to use language whose derivatives aren’t derogatory to oppressed groups in society. Again we live in such an ableist society that people seldom think about the world according to the needs of people with disability and how much more infinitely difficult basic things can be. We don’t need to add to it. :raised_hands:

Anywho back to talking about cool synth stuff!!

7 Likes

The subsequent posts were intended to highlight how ridiculous the initial comment was. I actually never knew the word gimp had any connection to disability apart from its context in the fetish scene.

Neither did I, and I wouldn’t have if the agenda didn’t always invite this type of thing.

I was ironically more racist by thinking I wasn’t racist as a young liberal than I am as a conservative and not caring.

I was aboard this derailed locomotive and needed to vent my screams.

If we go so far into etymology we should also stop calling things “lame”.

Personally I’m more disturbed by people calling synths “sexy” or referring to them with gendered terms.

2 Likes

I just made a post about taking an Elektron device on a date. I used the word “it”.

I did indeed momentarily contemplate if it had a gender.

7 Likes

Elektron users trying to find the right snare lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClzHFvFgJ2U/

2 Likes

I found a deal on the Rytm and so far having lots of fun with it. It feels more like an instrument than my OT and A4 but the faders for scenes on OT are super fun and sampling more powerful. So no complaints. I’m really enjoying my Digitone and AH combo as well.