Introducing Syntakt

yea digitone is fkn cool. used to have one (two together actually). had a bit of s love hate relationship with it. I dislike the core sound it has this sorta glossy chorusey vibe to it which I don’t vibe with (I’m probably doij it wrong tho :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. i prefer the opsix core, seems more neutral n flat, tho DN can sound amazin when pushed into noisey territory.

It’s actually really easy to remove the keyboard from an Op6. Just disconnect the ribbon cable and then chop off the panels on the side that normally hold the keyboard in place if I remember correctly. So if you want an Op6 module, you can kind of get there.

1 Like

Using a Roland JU-06a for now! Been playing with them together a lot and it’s been great fun. Might swap it for a beefier module polysynth in the future or my Reface DX as I get better at sound design on it.

1 Like

Can’t believe I’m writing this, but I just bought a Syntakt. Sonically, it’s the least interesting in the holy trinity (to my ears), but the price was too good to pass up on and I figure it’s worth giving it a spin.

Aside from playing around with it as a proper drum synthesizer, I plan to explore some more exotic/ambient territories with it.

I’ll still use my beloved MPC for making the full songs and rather consider the Syntakt a key ingredient for making those songs more interesting and fun to both work on and listen to in the end. We’ll see how it goes. :blush:

6 Likes

(Does anywhere exist a list of the names of the stock sounds of the Syntakt?)

1 Like

One thing I would like to see them implement - because Elektrons tend to sound fantastic when layered - is an easy / streamlined way for one track to trigger one other track as well as itself (unless there is a way to do this and I’ve missed it). Just to avoid having to reprogram rhythms after you’ve layered them but want to change up the pattern quickly.

4 Likes

This feature is on the Digitone, so it could possibly be implemented on the Syntakt too.

2 Likes

I feel like the Syntakt is almost begging for this to be a feature…so much layering is possible with 12 tracks (same with the Rytm, but at least that has a sampler).

1 Like

Yes! I’ve been wanting this feature for ages, also to mirror audio tracks to MIDI tracks.

@Tchu - how do you do this on Digitone?

When you press the Lips button, this menu shows up. Bottom right is the layer feature. By turning the H encoder, you can choose which Track(s) to layer. In this picture, you can see that T1 is triggering T2 and T3.

4 Likes

Thanks for the detailed explanation! Can it also layer MIDI tracks? (I would check myself but don’t have one.)

Obviously the sexiest Elektron button.
I miss it.

4 Likes

Is there any way to send only program changes and cc with midi tracks, and no notes?

Should be able to plop a trigless trig(s) on the sequencer with p-locked values you want changed and when.

2 Likes

Thanks I forgot about Yellow Trigs :sweat_smile:

Ids anyone using syntakt as a master compressor / saturator / driver / slimmed down heat at the end of their chain??? Ive got an octatrack as well. Wondering which people would recommend to serve that purpose since I don’t have a heat…

1 Like

As is, I’d definitely do the opposite, OT as Syntakt master compressor.
No compressor on ST, just amp envelope, eventually exp lfo on drive…

It wouldn’t replace an AH, no dry/wet setting, only 1 drive type, but I’ll give it a try.

1 Like

I sold mine yesterday :grimacing:

not into the sound. don’t get me wrong it can sound good, but I way prefer digitone & digitakt, personally.

3 Likes

i can relate to this, without better hihat, ride … its lacking a bit. But we can hope for new digi machines in the future.

1 Like

Can I output midi to model samples from same track that triggers internal drum hits? Chip tune sound of the drums not so much for me, but if I could layer some Linn samples in that would be cool