Introducing Syntakt

I used the Syntakt on both a noise/ambient set (opening) and daft techno (closure) last weekend. This bass, ladies and gentlemen, wow, that was something.
I had a lot of fun with the OT+ST combo, my very favorite. To the point I’m removing most of my gear from the desktop, and focusing on this + modular.

5 Likes

That’s exactly how I use it as well. I’m not shy to reach for two or three sounds just to build a kick. An analogue engine for thump, a digital one for a wet smack attack, and a little click to cut through the mix. Run it past the FX track with a trig or two on the envelope and just a hint of modulation on the filter, and you quite the kick loop going.

3 Likes

(… takes notes for the next time I’m on my Rytm)

2 Likes

The old Gabber in me can’t resist layering clap sounds on top of kicks (that are already at least 2 layers). I like to use the clap layer as a nice crisp click for the on beat, then open up the envelope decay on the off beat for a nice clap. The advantage to this is you can have a nice transient on the kick, but then have a clap come in without dulling the transient by having the clap and click fighting each other, which they would be if they were different layers.

It’s simple little things like this that make it a great piece of gear.

4 Likes

(_… takes more notes… _)

1 Like

Also our SY BITS thread :wink: Syntakt One Machine Only Challenge: SY BITS

I think one has to jump over one’s one snobism :stuck_out_tongue: If the Syntakt had only 12 tracks of SY BITS machine*, would it still be the right synth for me? Actually yes! So why should I complain about the 24 other machines …

*as a person who dislikes bitcrushing, sample rate reduction and has no sweet tooth for chip tunes …

5 Likes

I guess it will be mine too !
I think I’ll use ST standalone for several weeks before…

2 Likes

I’m still on SY CHORD only ! :content:

3 Likes

Imagine our chats over pints if we’d been in the same country :beer:

1 Like

They don’t let nerds like us in pubs round here

3 Likes

Hence the imagining :sunglasses:

2 Likes

So why does the CP clap machine always default with a retrig although I don’t have any modifiers or retrigs turned on? I can initialize the clap and it goes to normal, but if I don’t do that, the clap loops endlessly if I have the trig button pushed down.

I just received my syntakt and it gets super hot? Why is this?

Psyche!

This is discussed over here:

Lol I know, I was goofing around and being sarcastic. I’ve seen people post about this a fuck ton

1 Like

It depends on the envelope settings. If it’s adh with hold or adsr, it will loop. It’s not really a retrigger, as the amp and filter envelopes won’t be retriggered.

2 Likes

Fair enough!

I am frustrated with myself as well but also keen to explore more. Stuff I’ve made on this is interesting but not eye popping and I know it’s me.

So next step is to pair this with my MPC which I understand a lot more, so it’s good to hear someone having similar take.

Between the Syntakt, MPC and the Dreadbox Typhon

2 Likes

Yeah, I can totally understand this “I made this track on just one kit”-approach, including pushing it to mastering quality by just tweaking it right.

There seems to be a collective desire to find a creative environment for music making that involves just you in one place, all the time, limited only by inspiration and ideas, and not having to reach for cables, boxes, fiddle with wall contacts or if you’re in the box, mess with updates, OS struggles or whatnot.

I’m a writer by profession and have been committed to the same tool for years, producing all my work in the same toolset environment with only pen and paper as additions. To have such a place for music would be heaven. But writers use words to build their worlds into anything, whereas musicians have ideas that need to travel through a lot more technology than words, before they become anything at all. And the more acquired your taste becomes, the less likely you’ll find all you need to write your music, in one tool.

5 Likes

Yes the creativity gets pushed through a filter of endless possible permutations and knowing all the while whatever you produce may be improved by some random thing that’s just a tweak away….

It’s like gambling I guess though I dont partake

1 Like