Introducing Octatrack MKII

It was flat.

3 Likes

Itā€™s subjective (very subjective) sales-speak for ā€˜looks betterā€™

2 Likes

Having you relating your explorations with the OT is imo a wonderful resource for new ideas and fresh perspective. I might even kindly ask you starting an exclusive thread with your findings (or maybe, as youā€™re a mod after all, adding to the OT tips and tricks thread). I think it would be a great resource for the seasoned and amateurs, alike.

3 Likes

Very
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Did you slice a saved sample or a recorder buffer? Maybe youā€™ve done this but Iā€™ll explain anyway for others if so.

If you sliced a saved sample, change that flex to target a recorder buffer. On the recorder track for that buffer set up a one-shot recorder trig to capture Rytm loops. Set up a scene using xdir and xvol to mix between live Rytm, and the flex track. Use the latency comp option to minimize phase issuesā€¦

Now when you arm the one-shot the flex remix is instantly remade in real time, and you can start feeding other Rytm patterns into it, and mixing between them with the fader. I usually keep a dry Rytm loop as well, so I can mix between live Rytm, previously sampled Rytm, and flex remix.
On one pattern I have three different flex remixes to fade to all made from the same Rytm sampleā€¦

Now you can rearrange and modify the sliced buffer track in all sorts of other ways and see what happens when feeding sound into it in real timeā€¦ Haha

11 Likes

This.

Started as a practice for simply recording samples.

Iā€™ll employ your tips soon!

2 Likes

You should have written ā€œ freakin sharp yo! ā€œ instead.

1 Like

In my opinion that technique opens up the door to a whole world of stuff that the OT excels at that Iā€™ve not seen in any other hardwareā€¦
Once you try it, youā€™ll see what Iā€™m talking about, and thatā€™s just the beginningā€¦

3 Likes

If money is a concern at all by all means donā€˜t.

3 Likes

Where can I find this option?

Project menu/control/inputā€¦
I guess the proper term is ā€œdelay compensateā€ā€¦

4 Likes

If there is anything about the MK1 screen that you dislike, then consider the MK2.
The differences are great.

Aside from improved viewing angle, and less eye strain due the the inversion (white text on black), the refresh rate is greatly improved. There is no ghosting while scrolling through values like on the MK1.

I am determined to keep my AK and ARMK1, but they sure are jealous of my OTMK2ā€™s screen.

3 Likes

For this mk2 series, :3lektron: chose to improve the interface, which was not the case on the silver boxes, as far as I know.
Now do you really think you would resist to an UX-upgraded + better sounding AK mk2 ?
:thinking::crazy_face: :star_struck: :yum:

BTW : playing with OT mk2 for a whole day, I felt like MD encoders were extremely slow !!
So I can state it : I was a bit suspicious after DT experience, but OT new encoders work extremely well and are a lot more comfortable than on mk1.

Not a chance.

Though on the ā€œbetter soundingā€ point, I am curious how different (while disregarding the new overdrive circuit) the A4 MK2 sounds from the AK. I noticed my AK sounded different from my A4 MK1.
The AK being slightly more hi fi, less mid forward, and more scooped in the overall frequency response. It has a noticeably more finished sound to it.

Is A4 MK2 the same? Or beyond? Again, without regard for the new overdrive which will have a big effect on the sounds that use it. I donā€™t use the overdrive much on my AK. The main things Iā€™d like on a theoretical AK MK2 are the new screen, encoders, cv input, and USB 2.0 capable overbridge. I like my Keys and joystick too much to just go for the A4 MK2.

But yea, the new screens are a great improvement.

2 Likes

This time around, rather than import swathes of loops via usb, either original or 3rd Party, iā€™m syncing Ableton to the time and transport signal of the Octatrack, then simply realtime sampling a loop to the Octatrack.

Working great so far, only sampled one loop and itā€™s fantastico.

Btw for those searching for the delay compensate, the menu is Project->Control->Input.

2 Likes

Just browse the forum. OT MKII hasnā€™t been released in a very good shape regarding its firmware. However those bugs and broken features are expected to be solved soon according to Elektronā€™s statements.

MKII is definitely louder on its output. I also experience slight enhancement in its tone but it easily can be something I want to hear :slight_smile:

When directing inputs to outputs on mixer page the signals come out on a significantly lower level relatively to tracks output on MKII, thatā€™s my experience.

Really enjoying the OT2 a lot more than I did the second time around with the Mk1. Actually making me feel like how I did when I first got an OT what mustive been 5 years ago now or something.

Just jamming with random shit this evening. Created an 808 chain/kit from maschine - will be a lot of fund building patterns over several tracks with conditional trigs for sure - and just worked on getting my sampling speed up. After a serious pizza munch I returned to try my hand at sampling vinyl - something I never did before with an OT (not really done it much actually). Stuck on a very randomly picked Linda Ronstadt Greatest Hits LP (dont ask why I have thisā€¦) and came up with some totally random shit that had me cheesing.

All I can say is that the layout has made a big difference with me. A seasoned OT pro will whiz round a mk1 no both and wont feel the benefit but for me, itā€™s really enhanced the muscle memory Iā€™ve retained from prior Mk1 ownership. Yes, itā€™s still very much ā€œjustā€ an Octatrack but itā€™s clicking more for me right now. Currently no regrets going back on my ā€œsticking to ITB for a whileā€ chatā€¦!

4 Likes

Same here!!

1 Like

donā€™t forget to try switching on 24bit mode for both the Recorder Format and Flex Format. A user posted that the difference in quality is a veritable treasure trove.

Now easily located via double keycode Function - Rec3 -> Memory Config

4 Likes