Introducing Octatrack MKII

All three work together so well, and it’s actually simple to set up.
Learning the OT first is probably the way to go, it’s all downhill after that.

I focused on each one separately for a month, and I’m glad I did.
I would have wasted lots of time trying to learn all 3 while getting lost in configuration ideas.
I forgot who mentioned it on here, but eventually I want to try their method.
Make tracks on each one independently, but kind of play them together.

I’m having this thought about how we all use the machines, and people ask how do you do this, how do you do that, what’s the best way to x?

It seems to me that if one focuses on the underlying structure and the interaction of all layers of the machines, then one begins to understand them and can intuitively come up with several methods to achieving a desired goal.

If one simply follows suggested methods, the way that those methods work may still be unapparent, and the user is still somewhat removed from what is happening…
So I suggest following methods to get going, but try to understand why and how they work instead of just following them. Realize that if focus is made to learn and understand the underlying architecture, it gives you the tools needed to intuitively reach different goals on one’s own…

Just a general rumination…

3 Likes

Just a WASP drone turned into a whole new dirty lead with start point and filter modulation. Plate reverb. Slide trigs.

I love this box.

5 Likes

Damn. What’s a wasp? I want one. No wait, don’t tell me. My hair is on fire as it is. 20 seconds in, sounds killer. That would go great with my Avalons.
I’m working with learning slots tonight. It seems kind of limiting to me as you can only have one sound assigned to a single trig right?

1 Like

It is not a polyphonic sampler, however you do have 8 tracks.
If you want multiple sounds on one step, use more than one track, and resample.

SO much for that. the Rytm should be next month.

Sorry, how can you be bored out if your mind with machines we are very lucky to have?

I am such a sucker for these things… turning on these machines is instant synesthetic euphoria

Bored out of my mind with what?

i’m in the same boat… i mostly use the OT as the hub running the A4 and Rytm, with the OT adding some samples over top and doing effects. but i too am mostly a DJ that is exploring the journey to perform only my music live :slight_smile: it is very exciting!

1 Like

I was put off buying an OT for a long while due to it’s supposed difficulty. However once I bought and learned the fundamentals by-

1. reading the manual and re rereading sections that don’t sink in at first

2. reading Merlin guide

3. watching a few beginner tutorial YouTube videos, I have eventually found the OT to be quite intuitive (except for pick up which I Need to practice at some stage) and is now the most indispensable item in my studio.

Give it time and practice. The muscle memory comes after a while. The creative thought process takes a while but it’s worth it!

I’m wondering whether the DSPs are really the same in MKI and MKII. The sound of latter seems to me fatter, warmer running same projects and time stretching also seems to be a bit more advanced… Or is it just because the magic of the updated input/output? Is this just a placebo thing? :slight_smile:

You said you were bored with the MPC live and Toraiz.

Seems like the problem might not be the gear?

Well the effects on both of them suck. The sampling manipulation capabilities suck. With the Toraiz, there is a lack of functionality. Yeah, I’m bored of them. Got the Octatrack MKII and I think sonically, and effects wise, it’s leaps and bounds better than the Toraiz and the Pioneer. It will be a good long while till I’m comfortable with this thing.

1 Like

Had a great session of recording Rytm loops last night and slicing them up, mangling them with p-locked slice positions.

I was impressed at how well I could also use the LFO to modulate start/slice when loaded in a static slot. No glitches in my 64 GB SanDisk Extreme, as I assumed I would need to use a Flex machine for that. Using LFO 2 to to modulate LFO 1 (modulating start), plus conditional trigs. Wild.

Checking off the boxes of getting as familiar as I can with this beast and up next is record trigs and midi sequencing.

7 Likes

One thing I plan to do - and cant believe I never did this either time I had a Mk1 in the past - is to make drum sample kit chains. I used to have loads of fun with the drum engines on the MnM so I’m thinking of creating a few kit chains (using Maschine as source), loading it into 2 or 3 tracks on the OT and playing the kit via slices. Fully appreciate that this is in no way some super groundbreaking or original idea but for me I’m finding the thought quite exciting.

I see using chains as one of the big doors to open in getting me lost in OT paradise again.

5 Likes

Yea. I have my TT-606 and Drumatix chains in there. I have many I made for Rytm that I could easily add a few more hits to and get them to 64 for OT. Lots of synth stuff.

I also need to experiment with sequencing my TM-1 with the MIDI sequencer.

I’ve set up a Part with a Flex machine and 3 neighbor tracks. Two record tracks, and a master track. Using it as a sketch pad to make wild phrases using 8-10 FX processors and all those LFOs, with the recorders recording pre and post master.
Then the results of those go into a Static machine on my composition part, where I add more track elements. It is quite the playground.

3 Likes

Makes me miss getting lost in all those possibilities.

My problem was the end result was pure chaos, in a good way. But chaos :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t believe you haven’t had an OT all this time…
I’m glad your digging it…
It’s just so much fun, I find it exponentially multiplies what I can do with the Rytm. It’s like having a few Rytms while also being able to dissect their audio, rearrange what they’re doing, and further modify the sound all at the same time while mixing all of it in and out… And it still keeps going from there…

Having piloted an OT for a few years I can’t imagine getting rid of it…
I’m a guitar player at heart and if I only could have one piece of gear, it would be the OT, because I could play some guitar into it and have a whole track come out with beats and everything, it’s like an audio blender for making smoothies out of sound…

11 Likes

In the manual it states that the MK2 is sharper. What does that mean? Was the MK1 not… sharp?