Introducing Nopia

Looks sounds and smells like a final project for uni.

1 Like

Sweet mother of pearl! This is exactly how I wish the chord machine worked on the syntakt.

3 Likes

Please!

With even less feedback than it already gives? Just shut your eyes and turn the knobs :wink:

Love the concept and sound. I think something similar can be done with the syntakt and a midi cable.

Some nice ideas. Isn’t it very big for what it is/does? Maybe it’s just cause early prototype, but would have thought the footprint could be significantly reduced without adversely affecting ergonomics.

1 Like

No I prefer to use the keyboard. :slight_smile: It makes no sense to have a built-in scale quantizer in the keyboard section of the syntake that does not diatonically quantize the chords you play, inevitably resulting in wither looking up the relative diatonic chords or stumbling around in the dark for each step looking for the “right” sound. That’s not how I play chords on the piano, I just keep to the scale and move the triad around or maybe add a 4th note to the cluster. Given that we aren’t going to get a paraphonic mode or digitone-style voice sharing, I’d like a more intuitive way of assigning chords, and nopia addresses this problem in a very clever manner.

More like a nope-ia…

Stupid I know. Sorry my brain operates like a child’s sometimes. One of the reasons I always see someone twerking in my head when I see the new Roland Tweak thread.

Does something similar to several other devices that went on to just mildly get used by most.

If you have a cpu, you’ve already got a plethora of midi utilities that do the same thing but go way deeper. I didn’t hear it alluded to, but will their be more progressions added? All I saw them list was major/minor. I have to assume they will especially as so many of their competitors have a healthy amount of chord progrssion options.

I like the bass idea, and hiw it can be triggered by kd/snares, but find the whole thing a bit limiting. What if I want my bass line to go on a walk between chords? Looks like you can only trigger it to play the same chord as your synth.

The arp…is it just a regular arp? Can you adjust the playback or is it just up/down?
In terms of modern synths arp functions that I see time and time again, I don’t understand why arps are always so limited in their functioning. It’s a legacy thing that should not constantly be limited. Give me random, even/odds, thirds, scramble, complex math ejither/or, sum. Not just up/down. Maybe it’s a programming nightmare, especially over midi and that type of stuff isn’t possible. Maybe the vast majority of people don’t give a shit about arps other than speed, timing, and up/down.

Looks are either love it or hate it.
If you’re dawless, it’s another option that has a unique looking asthetic. If you’re a fan of quasi minimalism, I imagine you like the look of this. Although their idea of printing symbols of what each key does in relation to a chord progression should be relegated to optional stickers as some people might not want their keys to look like a beginners piano.

Options are always good, so I’m always for people releasing new stuff. It often times leads to innovation and/or creates a healthy competition amongst companies.

I wish all the luck to these two. They seem to be very passionate about their product and fully committed to what they’re doing and I always love to see that from producers of goods.

Ah. They thought that one through quite a bit.

3 Likes

‘Nopia’ sounds like someone’s disparaging title of a Nokia phone. Or a dodgy knock-off.

3 Likes

Nopia is the second inversion of ‘piano’.

14 Likes

Argh cannot unsee

3 Likes

It seems to me like they’re molding the bones of something extremely interesting. I’m assuming most of the things you mentioned will be addressed, but the state it’s currently has a lot of limitations.

I hope that they flesh out the midi portion before moving straight into the synth side, bc if they move straight into synthesis they WILL make a lot of money, but it won’t be as good of a product as it could be.

2 Likes

I can’t help it either. I should start a company that you can throw names across and I can tell you whether or not people will be unable to come up with a cruel counter to it. I think its a skill I developed when coming up for a name for my son. Krexazilla Th Destroyer took a bit of time to come up with, but in the end not having him come home upset that kids at school created a cruel rhyme about his name.

5 Likes

This works on so many levels, kinda genius and also kinda weird. I love it.

Kajuk is the second inversion of Jukka.

3 Likes

interesting

I thought the same for the M:C

1 Like

Why did you give your son a girl’s name? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It looks like something you might see in a hospital in the 50s and makes me think of someone convalescing in slippers and eating jell-o off of a tray.

1 Like

You obviously know nothing about Krexadestopianism.

1 Like

Would it be possible to re-create this type of thing on the Digitone keys? By setting up a split where one side of the keys were triggering chords and the other just bass notes (both say, locked into a scale)
I’d love to hear solutions or suggestions. (For the Digitone keys) Thanks

1 Like