Introducing Model:Samples

After having the MS a week I find it real annoying to navigate compared to the rest of the elektron units. probably cause I’m so used to them, mind.

the file system having that single encoder rather than navigation buttons is real fiddly. DT ui is way better imo.

maybe it’ll be great for beginners but DT seems to me to be just as easy to grasp if not easier in some respects.

A step backwards imho.

1 Like

Really enjoyed the track, thanks!

1 Like

So even with all theses knobs you still have to navigate a lot ?

just the file system. browsing samples, changing settings and whatnot. I think it’s fiddly :violin:

the knob per function is fine, doesn’t do it for me tho personally. I had no problem changing page on their other devices. was already fast and efficient.

3 Likes

I don’t feel like it’s too much. There are a few things that due to the limited interface (screen and selection encoder mainly) that you do have to bounce around a little bit. However, once you load in a kit, get the base sounds tweaked, it all just takes off from there, and you can just twiddle away and play along live, fill things in by hand, etc. It’s a very hands on machine in that even when you’ve got some tracks laid down, you’re going to want to tap in some on-the-fly hits, tweak loops, etc. It’s a slightly different approach to even the Digi-pair. You can use it similarly to them, but it will be a bit more limited that way. I think the M:S kinda pushes you to play more and program less, which is cool. That’s why I think it’s more complementary than an alternative to a Digitakt for example. They can fill different roles, and possibly push you in different directions. The UI takes a few minutes to get used to I’ll grant, but it becomes very easy very quickly. At least in my case it’s mostly transparent now. Just look how Dr. K uses it above. A good amount of hands on, with some solid base tracks.

2 Likes

Not only is the Model the runt of the litter, it is also the first step in the ‘Elektron Volca’ range.

Scientists theorise that domestic dogs may actually be the descendants of ‘runts’ that were unable to fend for themselves amongst wolves, so relied on human interaction.

And dogs are pretty damn good, so :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

I’ve seen these theories, and they must be correct, however…

How do we get to the Pug from all that? :smiley: (pug and shih tzu owner here)

Or as I call the pugs… Land Manatees!

2 Likes

I’m not at all interested in another hands on drum machine as I think my TR8S does the job very nicely. But I’ll be glad if they release a six voice/six tracks synth with the same interface/knobs/sequencer as the M:S.

1 Like

Makes sense. I also have a TR-8S, (and Digitakt) and I think the M:S still fits into that flow. However, I mostly got it to bring in and out of the studio at will for laid back tomfoolery. I figured, I’d rather drag it all around rather than the Digitakt. So far it really hasn’t disappointed me in any of these areas.

STOP IT!!! How dare you.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Don’t get sidetracked by the dog reference, I love dogs way more than humans, they are the best thing on this planet.
My angle was the fact that on paper and maybe in use the Model isn’t exactly pedigree (which I hate anyway but respect the DNA cascade) but that doesn’t mean it cannot be loved as wholly as the alpha (OT).

D O G S R U L E

1 Like

ATOMIC DOG!!!

Thank you!

1 Like

Glad we got that cleared up then :laughing:

1 Like

You have dogs yeah?
What you got? :hugs:

1 Like

The biggest feature I like so far on the M:S is the led feedback for P-locks steps. Sometimes when I go crazy with the DT it’s a bit of a chore finding which step was p-locked which way. It would be neat to, let’s say, func + long hold a step and it will show all P-Locks on a pop up screen.

2 Likes

I was just thinking the same thing today. I also really like that the LED for a knob shows up when assigning it as a destination for the LFO. That is a very nice touch.

1 Like

Was playing with my friend’s M:S and loved the way it sounded (I’m a Digitakt user, personally) so this is cool to hear. I guess my question now is how do I get my hands on those M:S samples? :wink:

1 Like