Introducing Model:Samples

Maybe somebody that’s a little more familiar with how samplers or sample players work, I have a question. Would the MS be suitable for loading single-cycle waveforms? It looks as if you can play it chromatically. And does anybody know if there is a proper scale mode like on the Digitone? (Where you can select Dorian, Phrygian, etc…)

Yeah lots of people hung up on the missing features but this honestly looks so fast and fun to jam on.

4 Likes

For me this is nothing special because if you have digitakt or OT why you need to buy this :smiley:

part of the business plan here might be that by selling more volume of the Model:Samples, they can create a larger market for their sample packs (which they are producing for Digitakt and Octatrack anyway, albeit for a pretty small customer base), which would make that aspect of the business more self-sustaining

Nice man DT is a beast for sure

Whatever it is, it’s happening pre-effects, I’m fairly sure. The reverb sounds nice and hi-fi.

Yes, you can make synth sounds using single cycle waveforms and play it chromatically.

2 Likes

yea now that I think about it more, and after watching baseck’s demo from perfect circuit it could just be the way the samples sound when they’re played chromatically through the M:S

Yeah, I think that might be it. As soon as you pitch a sample it sounds noticeably more lo-fi. No anti-aliasing or something, maybe.

1 Like

That Perfect Circuit vid was solid. Kudos to whoever did that one.

1 Like

You can put in your own Samples!

:joy:

Baseck - check him out for sure. Makes every piece of gear shine.

4 Likes

Wow.

Far from it :grinning: I’d love everyone to be happy. I think the market for this is bigger than you think. And yes, a lot of young budding electronic musicians will buy this. That’s wonderful! In my original post after it was leaked, I noted that it would potentially be a great educational tool. Young or older, this has a wide market, in my estimation. I just don’t have any sympathy for people who buy a product and then are dissatisfied because it doesn’t do x thing when a little research (reading the product description) would have given them the scoop on what they were buying. It’s really not more complex than that.

Yes, you can leave the transfer program of your choice running, transferring samples, and still play the instrument. This is just like the DT and AR.

Note that previewing this way still require you to either assign the sample to a track… Or navigate to it in the sample selector on unit.

Sample transfer is done via MIDI sysex, not by mounting the internal card as a disk.

5 Likes

I could see this thing in every rehearsal room in the world …
‘‘Finnally , a drum box every guitarist can understand’’
And that’s a market that is easily 10 times bigger than us sample manglers
Elektron may have very well created a classic here …

3 Likes

awesome, thanks for clarifying :+1:

I’ve actually never done sample transfer on my AR, and don’t own a DT. but transfer via MIDI sysex - albeit over USB - how fast is that?

Fast enough using Elektron Transfer.

Let me put it this way : actually listening to all the sounds would take longer than uploading them …

3 Likes