Introducing Model:Samples

perfectly doable for a drum synth though.

we need a dedicated controller for elektron gear. Something like a BCR2000 with automatic mapping, oled screen per encoder a la mpc x.

4 Likes

please no more sampler without sample IN… it’s just Model:Playback…

9 Likes

(Re)read Elektron’s own description. They never once call this thing a “sampler”.

6 Likes

Good point.

its in the name though

2 Likes

“Sample-based groovebox”? Yes. “Sampler” No.

3 Likes

Its not. Its called ‘Samples’.

2 Likes

for the supposed target customer, that is going to be disappointing once they find out they got a sample player instead.

I suppose, but if they can’t be bothered to read and understand the difference before buying, they’re probably not ready for either IMHO :wink:

1 Like

I can see that the Model:Samples can receive samples over MIDI using SDS.

It would be very nice if the digitakt could actually send samples to the Model:Samples.

Even better would be some kind of usb hub, that could act as an usb host, which would make it easy to transfer sounds between machines (digitakt, Rytm, Octatrack, Machinedrum, Model:Samples).

Cheers

Thomas

5 Likes

sample transfer via usb from phone would be cool.

Any chance of this @Ess

4 Likes

I suppose, but if they can’t be bothered to read and understand the difference before buying, they’re probably not ready for either IMHO

You might be overestimating the research abilities of the target market Elektron is (presumably) aiming for… we’re talking about people who go into Guitar Center with a vague idea that they “want something to make beats on” and rely on the salesperson to coax them toward an impulse buy right there in the store. Drum machine, sampler, groovebox, get into the distinctions between these and you’ve already lost them.

(edit: If I sound condescending, I promise it’s not intentional… I’m the exact same way about cameras, totally a clueless dove unfamiliar with terminology or concepts, focusing on the wrong things for the wrong reasons)

2 Likes

What about for those that are looking for exactly that?

Maybe, but I don’t think I’m overestimating; again, if they’re lost that quickly, they’re not ready. Perhaps it’s what I’d call "natural consequences " buying something like this on impulse with little or no research and projecting personal expectations on a product.

No worries mate! All good.

$400+ is setting a new bar for ‘entry level’; tantalizingly close to the amazing value in second hand OTs and A4s that can be found cheap compared to their shiney new MKIIs.

I can’t imagine many buyers in an OCD hobby like electronic production aren’t acutely value orientated.

3 Likes

Some people are a bit disappointed that the MNM/MD or the AR/A4 or even the DT/DN don’t have specs that this ‘cheaper’ Model does have… Sure I understand that but people at the companies gain more knowledge by the years and gain more knoweledge of the development of hardware over the years. Also users of hardware demand different things every time. I think nowadays the limitation is a big thing and also portability is also a big thing. So Elektron stepped into what is currently asked.

For me personally I am beginning to like this thing and I even can see it next to my DT. The DT can only sample mono, the M:S can only spit mono (Accept for panning and maybe the effects) so there it is!

EDIT: Yes I also think its ugly to see… pffff

It shouldn’t be too hard to find an app with can send samples over MIDI using SDS. If such an app really doesn’t exist yet, it can be easily implemented (no secret knowledge of the involved devices required).

Update (Strom supports SDS sample transfer via MIDI):

So there you have it. Sampling on the go: iPhone/iPad + Model:Samples

3 Likes

Maybe some of the hardware needs updating before we we see stereo sample loading/saving on these boxes. I mean on paper all the boxes bar the OT share the same crappy memory limitations and none of them rely on sd cards.