Introducing Model:Samples

Sorry to say, but no…

4 Likes

I’ll be honest, more than anything I want them to announce a mk2 to the MS, so I can refer to it as the MS Dos

RIMSHOT

Edit: wait a minute. Samples is the first one. Surely Synth will be next. Woohoo! We might have a contender for the MS Dos shorthand :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Yeah I’ve always been on the fence about grabbing an es2. Still am. Whereas I have almost zero interest so far in the MS. Depends what people are looking for in a sampler though. Can see the MS appealing to people that want the elektron sequencer on a budget. But in almost every other way the es2 seems more interesting and more features.

1 Like

Which features are missing?

From the MS?

Timestrech, fx per track, arpeggiator, polyphonic Sample (chords…), export to ableton, sampling inputs, x/y pad, 16 channels vs 6, interesting master fx, step jump mode, slicing, drag/drop + sd card… probably more.

Es2 always been vaguely on my radar. But the gr16 app is basically an improved clone and cost peanuts so I sort of forgot about it.

Edit - just saw you were actually referring to a different post. Tempo per track is the missing sequencer feature that MS has and A4/Ak doesn’t…

The effects sound better. But they are very similar and the Electribe has a few tricks as well.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant from flagships like A4/AK. Maybe I misread your comment but it seemed like you’re saying the MS has features the flagships dont. Which I guess is true with velocity and a dedicated retrig button.

I prefer the MM, MD, Octa, A41 and Rtym 1 form factor and I like my machines to be deep, like the Octa, not something I can master in a day, like the Takt, that has less in it over a similar product that Elektron make.

Not interested in this new product. It looks like it belongs in a kitchen.

3 Likes

IF!
IF!

IF they announce individual track scaling on other boxes, then I hope they add it to the A4 more than anything Digitakt would be cool to add some 1/3 time on a few tracks- but the A4- pads- would GREATLY benefit from individual track scaling.

I’m not expecting it, but I’d really appreciate it

1 Like

By my estimation, the biggest selling point on this box is the immediacy. Like how the DT had more immediacy then the OT, the MS has even more then the DT, at the cost of deepness. But not needing to switch to different pages… the knob-per-function on an elektron is what is most appealing to me. I don’t think I’ll be getting one, but it is a tempting and honestly looks fun.

6 Likes

Same with Digitone

1 Like

Oh yeah! DN more than the A4, totally. Especially since the FM philosophy is about the profession of the sound.

—-Also, in order to adjust the FM attack more that like 1.0 you basically have to sacrifice all 64 steps of the sequencer if there’s any degree of upbeatness in order to really capture the entire designed sound

Yeah it’s nice to see elektron go knob per function. Hopefully that trend continues on to something like their own version of a beefed up minilogue xd as an AK mk2. Ak would be way more fun to use if it had more knobs.

4 Likes

Is this a plastic case or metal? Korg ES2 case was beautiful all metal BTW

Plastic

1 Like

One of the reasons I decided to buy a DFAM was to have my first truly knob-per-function device and I really love it. I think the immediacy is a big factor for me and I can’t be the only one. I may well go down the eurorack rabbit hole now but that’s another story…

I think a lot of people around here just aren’t very realistic or knowledgeable about the nature of the business. Not a criticism, just an observation. There are plenty of people on these forums who are ready and willing to spend thousands on music gear but that doesn’t prove anything in terms of the real economics of the market - most people don’t have the means or the inclination to spend a fortune. The risk/reward ratio for a device that is both cheaper to build and cheaper to buy may be much better than something that is premium and expensive but that does more business damage if it doesn’t sell so well.

If Elektron do well with this device and put more cash in the bank then it could pay dividends further down the line in terms of cash flow for other projects. If smaller entry-level devices are currently in vogue then it’s probably shrewd to tap into that market and get some users on board for the long run. It certainly doesn’t mean that they’ve given up on the more advanced devices.

2 Likes

The electribes can be good fun… although once you use an elektron sequencer it is really hard to ever want to use a electribe again, it is a difference in light years not inches.

4 Likes

Yeah the korg sequencer is pretty basic. Think it depends what you’re doing with the sampler though. For instance even an sp404 is cool for sequencing loose stuff and fx movement while resampling. None of that kind of interaction between sequencer and resampling on the MS. Pros/cons for both make them pretty even overall. MS feels more ‘calculated reduced functionality’ & overpriced than the ES2 though.

1 Like

The more I think about this box the more I am starting to like it.

There are now 3 tiers of boxes: high-end, mid and low

What I didn’t expect is that instead of just watering down features in the same form factor - 8 knobs top-right they have revolutionized the interface making this arguably the most fun to play. This plethera of knobs should probably be included in ALL elektron boxes now. At £410 this is pretty amazing

4 Likes

they’re smart – the box will appeal to both newcomers to the brand who can’t afford a higher end machine, and also those of us who love Elektron but are enticed by a new device with a more immediate interface… and the price is low enough that it makes it extremely tempting to get it to go along with an Octatrack/Digitakt setup just for that experience

3 Likes