Introducing Model:Samples

A4 has no track multiplier/dividers.

So if I had kept my octatrack I could have used this as a breakout for at least 6 channels for instant cc control FOR the octatrack?

Class compliant so can I use this as a controller in a daw or overbridge?

Iā€™m assuming what @shreddoggie is referring to is not the 64 stepsā€¦ but the per track scale feature - which is something that has been in the Digitakt feature request lists since the start of time.

Indeed, this is what I really want on the Digitakt!

8 Likes

From what I could tell from the reverb vid it looked like the control-all looks like itā€™s able to return back to normal when twisting the knobs back the opposite direction. Thatā€™s not how cntl-al works

Per track scale isnā€™t on the MS, though

Certainly does - Iā€™m using a 1/2 time right now. Itā€™s global though, not per track.

a nod to the form factor and color scheme of the akai s20?

1 Like

I had a Electribe 2S and ultimately ditched it for a DT. Main reasons: couldnā€™t tune samples other than +/- whole notes, no microtiming, horrendously painful sample management. This thing is much, much, much better. Using the E2S is like pissing fire if you want to do anything rhythmically or tonally unusual.

3 Likes

Right there on the MS web page:

• Individual Tempo Multiplier per track

And in the manual, Ā§8.11, SCALE MENU, page 26:

MOD Mode can be set to either PATTERN or TRACK. In PATTERN mode all tracks share the same SCALE and LENGTH settings. In TRACK mode, all tracks can have individual SCALE and LENGTH set- tings. Press [T1ā€“6] to select the track to set the scale for.

2 Likes

You can supposedly run the lfo in an env mode and use that on the filter for acid zaps and stuff I think

oh but it is!

1 Like

Oh wow! Thatā€™s interesting.

Perhaps there will be an OS update soon?

1 Like

Iā€™m debating whether a Digitakt or the Model:Samples would provide a better pairing with my MD UW as a drum machine. I hate loading samples on the MD btw. Donā€™t currently have a a decent sample player so may have to go with the more advanced Digitakt eventually. Although the M:S has that huge forehead, maybe I can finally find a spot for my Hotline Miami stickers.

1 Like

It depends how many tracks you need to sequence.

With the MD tracks are sequenced by musical notes- so you could play a hi-hat and a snare or what have you from the same midi track. The problem with the MS- is I believe it only sequences mono notes where the DT can sequence up to 4 notes on any track.

Granted, with the DT, if you wanted individual track lengths for various tracks each voice would have to be on its individual track.

The benefit of the MS, is that you could take it out and about with you, compose tracks on the MS, and then switch those tracks to send midi only and you basically then have a Machinedrum scratch pad at your disposal

3 Likes

Is this better than the cheaper electribe 2S in any way?

a guy who sells synths in Nashville told me about a year ago they have a REALLY hard time selling digital subtractive synths these days due to the fetish for analog ā€“ so while a digital VA in this form factor makes more sense I wonder if that is really a good business decisionā€¦ regardless its name strongly suggests that it is the first of several products in this form factor.

2 Likes

Bit of a kick in the teeth for owners of A4/AK etc. Putting that (much requested) sequencer feature in to the cheapest box in the range whilst its still missing from the sequencer in some of the flagship models.

4 Likes

Do parameter locks slide/glide/transition between steps when record played in, or is it like the DT and DN that abruptly change per step?

The way I see it is NAMM is two days away with possible other announcements remaining to be seen.

5 Likes

Some folks love to complain about everythingā€¦maybe I missed the part where every single box MUST be purchasedā€¦and bitched about

6 Likes