Introducing Digitone

30 Likes

Best DN jam Iā€™ve heard so far. Amazing sounds in this one

3 Likes

Absolutely Riviting!

1 Like

want Digitone, need _Digitone

2 Likes

The Zabutom video is a great demonstration of art (practice) defeating theory. IMO, of course.

1 Like

gorgeous tones and a lovely composition. another good reason for me to get both instruments.

1 Like

brilliant jam. thanks for posting!

1 Like

sar / chasm

Iā€™ll be honest- I didnā€™t get it either.

I suppose it was bad sarcasm, then? I dunno, I posted a thorough rant, re: the OPā€™s complaint, about three or four posts previous to it. It seemed like some people were making a big deal about the operator count (4 vs. 6, etc.), and that having only four (a, b1, b2 (?), and c) operators was severely limitingā€“in regards to sound shaping potential. After reading numerous posts about the nature of FM (PM?) synthesis, it became apparent that more operators doesnā€™t necessarily mean ā€˜betterā€™ sound shaping ability, but that it was better in scenarios where one is trying to closely approximate the sound qualities of actual acoustic instruments (which isnā€™t necessarily what weā€™re going for) - and that for those sorts of applications (like recreating a natural, acoustic piano sound), having more operator functionality is a benefit.

Itā€™s apparent (by watching the NAMM YouTube vids with Simon and Cenk) that the Digitone has been streamlined to make the FM synteesis-process less complicated and more streamlined, and thus, more fun to useā€¦ and that it is indeed possible to achieve juicy, satisfying sounds with a Digitone. I didnā€™t really hear much of the Tuss in the demos? but Iā€™m a big fan of both Rushup Edge and the Confederation Trough ep (Fredugolon 6 is all-time)

Somebody remarked that Justin Bieber somehow acquired a Digitone - is there any truth to that? Anyway, apologies, Iā€™ve barely slept over the last 96 hoursā€¦ just a bit on edge. Wondering when Digitone is gonna hit the US distributors.

1 Like

I probably wonā€™t get one, but I think itā€™s a nice sounding tool for making music that will have its place for some people and none for others.

Some may choose to do it all in Operator/FM8, and lug a computer to the gig - if they play live at all. Fine by me.

Others may choose to pack a DX7, external sequencer, external FX, MIDI cables, etc to a gig - if they play live. Thatā€™s also ok.

I definitely spend more time than I should hanging out on these forums, esp. on weekends when I should be making music. :wink:

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll mess around with running my Roland TM-2 four track .wav drum module with the DN.

Should be a good pair with the 4 voices for 4 MIDI tracks, battery powered operation, 2 channel output (great for running the kick out separately, and back into the FX track).
I got a lot of mileage with this thing and the A4, and it does the job with OT MKII as well.

No CC# control, but itā€™s four more tracks of drums and loaded with Acidlab Drumatix one hits, I can see many electro tracks made with just it and the DN. Nord Drum 2 would be a great partner as well. I should have never sold mine.

1 Like

Iā€™m way into slowing the BPM down to 120 and cranking the swing up to like 60 and making deeper house jams. Which means Iā€™m into layering weird spooky sounds and the DN seems perfect for adding some strange tones underneath a DT beat. Especially with trig conditions!

Yay for house music right now. I still love Techno for ever and ever

1 Like

8 posts were split to a new topic: Tempo / bpm

Edit: joke removed

Honestly, the modulation features per algorithm seem pretty complex, with the two synth pagesā€“the extent of control you have over individual operator envelopes, tuning/ratios, wave-shaping (for the carrier and modulating frequencies), de-tuning and feedback functionality, and the X-Y blend / mixā€¦ combining those controls with the filter(s), effects, and the two assignable LFOs per trackā€¦ itā€™s quite a bit to get your head around, and it stokes the imagination. Iā€™ve never used a Yamaha DX, Volca FM, preenFM, or any software applications for FM synthesisā€¦ Iā€™ve played around with a PM synthesis patch in SuperCollider, and attempted at crude phase modulation with the 0-coast (using the LFO) - the Digitone seems like a dream machine, in all honesty. As Cenk has been saying recently, ā€œitā€™s the sound of my dream(s)ā€ - itā€™s truly exciting, the anticipation is strong.

1 Like

The X/Y parameter has the most of my curiosity. How does that work? Does it effectively make it 2x 2-Operator synths?

I canā€™t wait to play around with it!

The X/Y outputs vary by algorithm, and you mix them. In some, they share much more cross influence than others. It doesnā€™t make it 2x2 operators, it really just varies and lets you decide the emphasis/blend. Extra fun can be had by modulating the ā€˜mixā€™ param with LFO or P-lock.

1 Like

Sound of oneā€™s dreams indeed. Iā€™m still getting some really rough stuff from it as Iā€™m in this weird post-album funk. But Iā€™ve been dreaming of Alaska and this whole ā€˜icy desolationā€™ concept - especially with the Modor NF-1m thrown in - seems to be speaking to me.

Further explorations in slow soundscapes. Sound directly out of Digitone, but includes Modor NF-1m sequenced (and processed) by Digitone. The kick punches through everything nicely.

So two tracks of Digitone flutey/sounscape sounds, one track Digitone kicks, one track MIDI sequencing Modor NF-1m (the really bright and sustained sounds, while Digitoneā€™s sounds are more evolving).

1 Like

Getting my DN tonight :diddly: :diddly: :diddly:

10 Likes