Introducing Digitone

DT+DN… realistically I think the DT is much more useful and the DN looks potentially more fun. Definitely want a digitone though but if I could only have 1 DT all the way.

Would be fine to hear more about the filters… Calling new owners: tweak the filters and let us know how they react, in particular how is the sound when using a lowpass? Does the sound become bigger or thinner?

Cool bro!
(Sarcastically)

I think he’s just saying it would be nice to have the option of quantized intervals (heard as stepping in the current OS) or free/unquantized intervals (smooth transitions). The solution could be implemented in the way they did when they changed the AR’s FX send levels in an OS update, so you have a checkbox that would let you choose between one way or the other.

3 Likes

That seems a nice idea, but this would just give you a parameter range where only a few points sound nice, a big range around those points sounds as if there’s something slightly wrong with the tuning, and then there will be large ranges in between that which sounds inharmonic in an interesting way, but you’ll be wondering if the knob is broken because you won’t hear any apparent change there.

2 Likes

Different strokes for different folks. That’s probably why they suggested a toggle between the two modes. Some people want to get into the territory that others think is not useful.

1 Like

Oh sure, it’s just that this box might not make sense in that context.

1 Like

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about. The pitch of the carrier is fixed while the modulator sweeps up linearly from the same pitch to 4 octaves higher:

EDIT: Just for fun, here’s the same thing sweeping up the modulation anount with the carrier at the same frequency as the modulator:

4 Likes

Jam with black sisters :slight_smile:

22 Likes

You can def get some good metallic tones from this and really quickly. This one is a bit harsh lol but you get the idea. You can make a wide variety of sounds with this one.

DT + DN.

The CTRL ALL trickery when on the DT sample page is just too handy.
Drop the length on everything, crank the reverb, change the pitch.
These are the breaks.

7 Likes

Sorry, having too much fun with FM examples.

Here’s a more practical example of why sweeping the modulator frequency freely is not immediately musically useful (ymmv). This is a very simple bassline, first with the envelope changing the modulation amount, followed by the same envelope changing the modulator frequency over a two-octave range:

Note that I’ve set the sustain level at 50% to get a 1:2 ratio during the sustain phase in the second example.

3 Likes

I’d very much prefer to be able to reach terrain where it “sounds as if there’s something slightly wrong with the tuning,” rather than having a series of predetermined ratios which prevent one from arriving at “undesirable” frequencies. I don’t understand, does it just snap into place (the stepping) ?

is it possible to make an analogy to micro-tuning vs. having ‘frets’ - or is this something entirely different / more complicated…?

2 Likes

This. Is good. Thumbs up!

3 Likes

I want one.

1 Like

Woaw, thanks!

Another example (I promise to stop now). Here the carrier is fixed at 220Hz while the modulators steps through A to A over 3 octaves:

You should be able to clearly hear which steps sound “right” and how far between they are.

1 Like

You made me decide to pre-order. Damn.

2 Likes

“right” = less beating / inharmonicity, yeah? the “wrong” points are still a legit part of the range / spectrum… does the Digitone skip those points?

I think it’s more complicated having to do with fm synthesis, and from watching Simon in the videos it seems this particular quantization is one of the main design points of the machine, not some sort of weak point but rather a very much intentional part of the design…

(I don’t know much about fm, so not getting to detailed here, just taliking in general from what it seemed from the videos)

1 Like