Introducing: Digitone Keys

I hear you man, just tried to explain a little about the thoughts behind the placement of the wheels. Every design choise made has repercussions on other parts of the design. At the end of they day one have to make a choise what is most important and then let other things follow that. We are very aware that everyone does not agree with our design choises, and thats fine :slight_smile:

12 Likes

please no. saw that on Facebok. just putting my name down against such an idea :wink:

man I hate pad grids.

No velocity sensitivity ftw :paw_prints:

2 Likes

it is from facebook :wink: so no reason to panic :smiley:

:smile:

This is another thing I missed on the A4, even though I got around it by assigning hold to programmable buttons on an external midi controller in the end for a massive drone session a few years back.

Well, internally it is actually implemented since you can control sustain over MIDI nowā€¦ CC64 if i remember correctly. However I do not remember if its implemented via a key combination or not. If it isnt, I will add this to a whish list for a later OS upgrade. Cant promise anything, but I will make a note of it :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Genuinely curious, Iā€™m guessing you guys considered various alternative layouts including having controls at the top. If itā€™s not too intrusive to ask, was the design decision swayed by engineering/cost implications or did you guys feel the final product/UI would bring ā€œmoreā€ out of the user? Understand if thatā€™s a ā€œdifficultā€ one to answer or if you canā€™t publicly!

I really like the design though but then Iā€™m naturally someone who likes quirky, out of the ordinary things.

4 Likes

I layed my hands on it at superbooth, really good keybord and the layout with the extra knobs is usefull. just one thing: its not possible to extend the dk with a digitone for 16 tone polyfonie. I hope they will add that in a future update. Korg has implemented this in the extender version of the minilogue xd.

Excellent luckily Iā€™ve got 2 extra sustain pedals ready to go! I wanted a hold function too, this will do.

If youā€™d compare the keyboard quality, what would you rate it to? I think the Analog Keys is great, the Prophet 6 the best non-piano keybed ever and the Reface keyboards in a mini keys league of their own.

Iā€™m a little confused what hold does. Is it just latch? Doesnā€™t the digitone already have a latch? And why would the keys have it and the regular digitone not?

Iā€™m a massive fan of drone music so Iā€™m trying to betterunderstand the ā€œholdā€ feature!

Digitone does not have a latch mode.
Which is a bummer.
Man, I love the Digitone!

Digitone has a ā€œlatchā€ when using a sustain pedal I tested it today. Works fine and itā€™s per track too, so you can latch track one and move on to track two which has an independent sustain channel.

5 Likes

:open_mouth:
Yes!

Pretty legit for huge sound scapes on the fly/in between songsā€¦!

Yea sorry, this was me. Since the Digitone Keys Keytar was such a fun, I had to do this.
Please donā€™t sell it as real. It was just a joke, while I couldnā€™t sleep. :green_heart:

1 Like

Thx. Bummer.

I donā€™t find it ugly, but too asymmetrical (personal OCD) ! :smile:
Anyway I prefer 4 octaves minimum, or much smaller with 2 octaves like KMI KBoard.
Really interested in DN thoughā€¦

Elektron_Digitone_Keys_Top_transparent

3 Likes

thats difficult, because I didnt do a 1:1 comparison. But I would say its definitely better than the analog keys (from my memory) and it also felt better than the novation summit I tried a bit later.

1 Like

dont forget moog matriarch. I think this is a real killer, the sound just blew me away.